Wheeled and Tracked Amphibious Vehicles

Started by Nick, June 15, 2006, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Nifty idea Jeffry.  I know Italeri put out a kit with a 105 on the back, so a Maxon seems eminently doable.

Regards,

Mav

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Maverick on December 08, 2008, 05:00:51 PMNifty idea Jeffry.  I know Italeri put out a kit with a 105 on the back, so a Maxon seems eminently doable.

At least you could fire the M55 GMC from the cargo bed of the DUKW, something that was not possible with the 105mm howitzer unless you were planning on tearing apart your ride and watching it sink on you.  Not sure how stable the DUKW would be with that Quad Fifty mounted in the back and firing while on the water but it would certainly look interesting as a build model.  Would also be a good way to use the parts from the AFV Club M35 Gun Truck kit since it is missing the wheeled portion of the mount. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Maverick

I figured the 105 couldn't be fired.  I'm assuming it was a transport thing, but how would they have gotten it out once they got onto dry land?

Regards,

Mav

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Maverick on December 08, 2008, 08:20:54 PMI figured the 105 couldn't be fired.  I'm assuming it was a transport thing, but how would they have gotten it out once they got onto dry land?

You are one of the few that got that part right.  Most people tend to overlook the obvious and assume that the 105mm howitzer in the back of the DUKW was going to be used for the final assault preparatory fires before they hit the beach.  Besides sinking the DUKW the guy driving the vehicle would be suffering from concussion and flash burns which would be a moot point as the vehicle sank beneath his feet.  But all too often that part seems to be overlooked. 

As far as debarking the piece from the cargo bed that was performed by a truck mounted crane or a derrick of some kind that was brought ashore or built after getting ashore.  However it was done, it was not a fast process and probably worsened under combat conditions.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Maverick

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of the derrick's presence on the vehicle.  Sounds like a trying time, especially if on an unfriendly beach.

Regards,

Mav

PanzerWulff

I had read that the marines used them from the bed on Okinawa (or was it saipan???) during the rainy season,where the torrential rain made the DUKW and LVT the only vehicles able to really move in the quagmires that resulted  :blink: :huh: :blink: :huh:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: PanzerWulff on December 09, 2008, 02:12:55 AMI had read that the marines used them from the bed on Okinawa (or was it saipan???) during the rainy season,where the torrential rain made the DUKW and LVT the only vehicles able to really move in the quagmires that resulted  :blink: :huh: :blink: :huh:"Panzer"

Chris,

The M1/M101 105mm Howitzer produces enough recoil force to pretty much preclude firing it from the bed of a truck or DUKW which is still a 2.5t truck and the artillery piece in the back would have crushed the suspension on land with the recoil during firing.  The only thing that secured the piece to the vehicle was rope to keep it in place during transit.  The trails and spades overhung the back of the vehicle.  Anything stronger than a fart would have sent the piece crashing through the deck of the cargo bed when it recoiled. 

The LVT would have been crowded as well, it was a tight fit just getting a jeep into one of those things.  Now if they were using the 75mm Pack Howitzer for this it might be possible as the charges are smaller, the piece much lighter and the recoil might have been acceptable for the DUKW and LVT but I would have to see a picture of the event before I would believe it to be possible. 

PanzerWulff

Ok I looked it up and they had LVT's with 75mm howitzers mounted in a turret,and some Dukw's had a "Light antitank gun mounted fireing over the drivers position" no mention as to what the gun was
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: PanzerWulff on December 09, 2008, 04:54:56 PMOk I looked it up and they had LVT's with 75mm howitzers mounted in a turret,and some Dukw's had a "Light antitank gun mounted fireing over the drivers position" no mention as to what the gun was"Panzer"

Probably the 37mm ATG which was also mounted in a turret on some LVTA.  Towed 37mm would still be interesting to see in a position to be fired from the back of a DUKW or 2.5t GMC there would be enough room but I would certainly hope the barrel was pointed to the rear and not over the cab of the vehicle. 

rallymodeller

You were wondering about how they got the 105mm Howitzer on a DUKW?

Like this:

An A-frame jib could be mounted on teh back of any DUKW. So there.

And just to whet your Whiffing appetite: how about a dual-DUKW "aircraft carrier"?

Scanned in from DUKW In Action (I have it in PDF format)
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

rallymodeller

Quote from: PanzerWulff on December 09, 2008, 04:54:56 PM
Ok I looked it up and they had LVT's with 75mm howitzers mounted in a turret,and some Dukw's had a "Light antitank gun mounted fireing over the drivers position" no mention as to what the gun was
"Panzer"

According to AMTRAK In Action[/url] it was the 37mm turret from an M5A1 Stuart light tank. The 75mm howitzer was for breaching beach defenses (not anti-tank) and was mounted in a turret from the M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Weaver

This is THE place to go for info on amphibious vehicles:

http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/

Lots of good links too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Quote from: GTX on November 08, 2008, 01:16:03 PM
I wouldn't mind one of these (either kit) to modify as an amphibious assault transport.  I'm thinking o fitting a turret from either the PzKpfw I or PzKpfw II.

Regards,

Greg

Remember this idea - here's a rough profile:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

Nifty stuff Greg, I think the LWS is a beauty for a gunboat type vessel.

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Thanks - I was also thinking of some sort of amphibious landing craft - it was designed to tow landing craft so maybe have it also offer some fire support as well for a Op. Sealion landing (though up-armouring may be in order).

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!