Boeing Super Jumbo

Started by Gary, June 20, 2006, 04:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

With pressure from the market and the A380 seeming to be the only game in town for the super jumbo market, Boeing took lessons from the past, asked around to their valued customers, and volia. The birth of the 747-900 series.
A 24 foot extension in fromt of the wing to help with some of the balance issues associated with taking the distinctive hump down past the the trailing edge. First to get her, Air Canada. Why, becasue the South African Airlines Transfers that came with my Airfix kits were so outta register I wouldn't use 'em for arce wipe.

This is what you can make when your local hobby shop bloke tosses two incomplete kits at ya and says, take 'em if ya want 'em, or toss them in the bin by the door. Chopped the forward fuse out of the first one, already started, and gently inserted it into the second one. Took the trailing edge of the hump off and went back to the last seam before the tail and inserted it there. Stuffed in a chunk  of tube between and discovered Milliput can be my friend. Sand and fill, repeats as necessary, pausing to prime, then swear alot.

Engines aren't on yet, gonna see if I can find a 250th scale jet with good sized engines. The kit ones, all three, just don't look the right size.
Getting back into modeling

Eddie M.

Now that is just plain kick donkey! B)  :wub:It looks great!
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

The Rat

I'm sure I've mentioned this here before, but if my memory serves I believe that not long after the 747 was introduced Boeing released studies of possible future versions, and I'm certain that one had the upper deck extended all the way back.  :huh:

Yours is almost there!  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

anthonyp

Maybe try the Airfix 1/300 777's engines?  Those things are pretty honkin' huge for a 1/300 scale plane.

Looks great, Gary!

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Brian da Basher

Gary that is just cool beyond words!  That Air Canada livery looks soooo right!
:wub:
Brian da Basher

B777LR

GE-90s off a Tripseven! Two or three of them should do the job! For twin operations, add one under each wing (you might need to flatten out the bottom of the engine). For Triple operations, add another GE90 at the root of the vertical stabilizor!
However, boeing is already doing a super 747. Its called the 747-8.

:cheers:

elmayerle

I keep thinking it might be fun to do the stretched with full upper deck 747 variant from the novel Down to a Sunless Sea which also had a fifth engine in the tail.  I'd probably do mine like the L-1011 installation rather than the DC-10/MD-11 installation.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Nice job, Gary. After seeing your pic of it the other day, you must've really put in some OT !

:party:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

Thanks guys
The reason I stopped the hump where I did was it seemed that the panel line where I stopped was the last part of the fuselage that appeared common to the forward part. You know

NOSE  +   TUBE  +  WING SECTION  +  TUBE(Same as before)  +  Tail

So if you look at how Boeing stretched the 707 by slugging inserts, I figured the same principle would apply to an easy engineered enlargement of the 747. If you continued the hump into teh tail, Boeing would have to completly restructure the tail.  

Sad isn't it, that I actually took the time to think about it. Oh the Transfers came form a Hobby craft airbus kit that I stole wings from for another project. They were wonderful. I should check and see if I still have the engines from that?
Getting back into modeling

Eddie M.

QuoteI keep thinking it might be fun to do the stretched with full upper deck 747 variant from the novel Down to a Sunless Sea which also had a fifth engine in the tail.  I'd probably do mine like the L-1011 installation rather than the DC-10/MD-11 installation.
I love that book! :wub:  I've read it several times. The visual of that big 797 is very vivid in my mind. Maybe I'll try it some day. :)
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Captain Canada

The reason I stopped the hump where I did was it seemed that the panel line where I stopped was the last part of the fuselage that appeared common to the forward part.
Well, that and the fact that you need room to mount that giant lazer turret !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Course if you were really brave you'd do the 747-1000 (Cargo) with the 'visor' nose and the 'big-top' &  that extends all the way back to the fin base, as used by the RCAF for hauling CF120 Tigersharks to their NATO deployments & exercises.  :ph34r:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Very cool Gary  B) although it does look like its about to tip nose down for some reason.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Sisko

Gary that is inspired work there.  :cheers:  :cheers:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

B777LR

QuoteThe visual of that big 797 is very vivid in my mind.
Do you have the book, and can you show that visual please?

However, the 797 will most likely be the replacement of the 737. Basicly a narrowbody 787.