K

A-51D "NZ2429"/ZK-JLM

Started by K5054NZ, June 21, 2006, 09:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

As most of you know, Lana and I operate our own Mustang ZK-JLM, formerly based in the UK with Maurice Hammond.

[size=8]ZK-JLM pictured just after we started the repainting process, ZK-ZLS/K5054 can be seen in the background[/size]

Upon its return from Suffolk we decided to give her something of a make-over to reflect one of the six RNZAF Mustangs used as close support aircraft in Vietnam from 1967 to 1972, redesignated A-51D to more accurately reflect their role.

They wore the typical 60s-80s three-tone "South East Asia" camouflage of two greens and tan uppers and light grey unders. No special insignia was worn, just RNZAF roundels in four positions, finflash and serial number.

The old World War 2-era radios were removed and replaced with more modern equipment - behind the cockpit was installed a new fuel tank for loitering capabilities. The old aerial mast was removed also, due to its "surplus to requirements" status.

The aircraft we decided to represent, NZ2429, was something of a curiosity. Despite flying in an especially hostile area, her spinner and port undercarriage doors remained unpainted throughout her tour. This is thought to be because these items were cannibalised from another airframe, most likely NZ2415 (an instructional airframe at RNZAF Woodbourne).

The real NZ2429 was lost over Khe Sanh in 1968, her pilot Flt Lt Frank Cowan being rescued by US forces soon after she was shot down by Viet Cong small arms fire. The pilot's brother just happened to be George Cowan, former SAS trooper and my maths teacher at high school. Mr Cowan told me about his brother's flying and got us in touch - through Frank Cowan's personal photo album I was able to thoroughly research NZ2429's paintjob and get it perfect.

The result is what you see here. Unfortunately the weather is so damned bad today that I have to postpone her first post-repaint flight for a few days (if not longer), but stay tuned for pics anyway! I;m hoping Frank will allow me to share his wartime photos with you all. Enjoy!

Brian da Basher

Aboslutely stunning Zac! I love the idea of using the P-51 in close support. It would've been superb in this role as demonstrated by it's "down on the deck" missions in W.W. II & Korea.

The silver spinner is truly inspired my friend! You seem to top yourself with each successive build. How do you do it?

Great work and a fantastic backstory to boot!!!!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I'm really grateful this cool build isn't competing with any of my entries in a current GB around here...I'd be hosed!

philp

Zac,
Another neat build and the stang looks great in Kiwi markings.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

anthonyp

That's cool, Zac!  Looks good!

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Ollie

Looking very good Zacky!

:D  

Damian2

Ah Zac you already know I think it looks great!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Eddie M.

That is one good lookin' 'Stang! I really like the colors she wears. B)
  Eddie
Look behind you!

K5054NZ

B) Thanks everyone so much for your very kind words! I'm actually at a loss as to what I should build next - I may just bomb-up and weather 29 to have her appear as she would've been in-country.

And Eddie - high praise coming from you! Thank you so much!!!

Eddie M.

QuoteB) Thanks everyone so much for your very kind words! I'm actually at a loss as to what I should build next - I may just bomb-up and weather 29 to have her appear as she would've been in-country.

And Eddie - high praise coming from you! Thank you so much!!!
No problem Zac. :)  I'm very happy to see someone such as yourself getting into modeling. If you keep it up through the years until you get to be my age(40), I have no doubt you'll be a force to reckon with. You have one advantage I didn't have as a younger guy. Sites like this to share your work and gain model building knowledge. Your imagination and enthusiasm for the hobby lets me know model building is in good hands for the future. :D
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

GTX

Zac,

Nice - I may have a companion for it soon in the form of a Aussie Sea Fury FAC bird also from Vietnam.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Patrick H

Looks great Zac, but then again, every Stang looks great ,  ;)

Anyway, you have done a fine job there.

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

K5054NZ

Greg - great to hear matey! Any bird with SEA and roo roundels is ace in my book!! :wub:

Pat - many thanks for your kind words. And yes, they are fine looking birds, aren't they? :)

Eddie - been at this hobby since my first Academy-Hobbycraft MD500 Defender at age seven. And if you'd like to now, it was a whiffer, flat black all over and special "anti-radar" glazing (glue smears). Glad to hear you feel I'm a great torch-bearer for the modelling youth of tomorrow! B)  

cthulhu77

Nice 51...the Kiwi Rondels look fantastic on that bird.

greg