Making (small) transparencies

Started by GeorgeC, July 03, 2006, 07:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeC

Can anyone point me at a technique for making relatively small transparencies, something like a bulged window in a SAR helo in 1/72 or 1/48?

Regards

GeorgeC  

Alvis 3.1

One thing I've used for round bulged windows are the "google eyes" available from craft stores. They come in a variety of sizes, and are more of a flattened bulge than a dome shape.

For other shapes, I make a plug out of balsa, sand to shape and heat form clear plastic over the plug. Trim and insert.

HTH,
Alvis 3.1

philp

Another thing I have seen used are pill capsules (clear ones of course).  You have to coat them with something (white glue, Future, etc) but they have a nice shape when done.

As for small windows, I have used white glue or Testors canopy glue to form them instead of adding them inside the fuselage when building.  Just apply a drop to one of the corners and then use a toothpick or paintbrush to fill in the rest of the window.  They dry clear and beats doing all that masking.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Leigh

For flat windows I use the clear collar stiffeners that come in new shirts.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Brian da Basher

Any bit of clear packaging is fodder for windows and blisters. I've used the tabs that hold a box of cookies (larger scale) or thumbtacks (smaller scale) for blisters.

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

I've had good luck using KrystalKleer, then letting the side you want to bulge facing down..gravity will pull it into a bubble, but you have to let it dry that way overnight.

Brian da Basher

Mmmmmmm....coookies!  :P

Brian da Basher