Tried something new.

Started by BlackOps, July 08, 2006, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

On my Beaufighter build I tried Micro sol decal setting solution for the first time today, too cool! If you haven't tried it you should...if you have tried it you know what I mean :)

For those not in the know, it softens the decal and helps it conform to the models surfaces. This means each and every seam and rivet looks like your decal was painted on rather than stuck over top. (this means you don't lose any detail)

I know this stuff has been around forever but it's the first time I tried it and I'm hooked!

jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

Yep, great stuff.  Did you use it in conjunction with their MicroSet, too?

Just have to watch because some decals really self-destruct in MicroSol.

And, if you want to make your own, just do what they do: dilute some vinegar.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

dragon

It is great stuff.  However do not use too much if you have used TESTORS Glosscote before applying decals.  It has been known to eat through the glosscote in the same outline as the decal (giving you some unintended surface detail).  The decals may also wrinkle as they soften, just don't give in to the temptation to touch these decals, they will unwrinkle and look painted on the model if you let the microsol do its thing.   B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

BlackOps

Haven't tried the Micro Set yet, wanted to try the Micro Sol first.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

The Rat

QuoteAnd, if you want to make your own, just do what they do: dilute some vinegar.
Now he tells me.  :angry:  I wondered why I couldn't get a buzz sniffing my old bottle of Solvaset.  :wacko:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Hobbes

Future is nice, but Microsol works differently: it softens (dissolves?) the decal film, so the decals will follow the surface of the model, e.g. sink into panel lines.
Future doesn't do this, it just prevents silvering.  

Leigh

QuoteThe decals may also wrinkle as they soften, just don't give in to the temptation to touch these decals, they will unwrinkle and look painted on the model if you let the microsol do its thing.   B)
Hugely important glad somebody pointed it out, first time I did big decals with this stuff they all wrinkled up and looked like they were ruined. Fortunately I managed to employ my greatest modelling technique, the ability to do nothing and not attempt an immediate fix. Walked away and let them sit overnight and damned if the next day they weren't sucked into every crevice , perfectly smooth looking like they were painted on.

And I've always had a suspicion it was vinegar 'cos it sure tastes like it, dont ask :dum:  

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

nev

QuoteFuture is nice, but Microsol works differently: it softens (dissolves?) the decal film, so the decals will follow the surface of the model, e.g. sink into panel lines.
Future doesn't do this, it just prevents silvering.
Er, it pulls the decals into the panel lines on my models!  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PR19_Kit

5 year bump!

What's the difference between Microsol and Microset please?

I've used them both indiscriminately for years, never taking much notice of the red or blue bottle, but when using Microset on the Corrogard decals for my 777-900 the decals shrivelled up and yet Microsol worked a treat. The guff on each bottle ignores the existance of the other one, and yet I thought they were both parts of some Grand Plan for decalling.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Microsol softens the transfer.
Microset , as it dries, pullls the (softened) decal down over the surface details.
They are meant to both be used.

Me? I use Kleer  :wacko:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

frank2056

Quote from: JayBee on September 28, 2011, 05:52:25 AM

Or Future, here in the US. I find that Kleer/Future does an even better job of sucking down decals as it dries.

PR19_Kit

OK, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I found that the 'sol also pulls the decal into the detail, which is handy when Corrogarding as you don't have to be that accurate in cutting the stuff to shape. As it puls into the panel lines you can then scalpel along the panel lines you need, and 'bingo'.

I'll give the 'set a go on some of the other decals, I don't have enough of the 747 stuff to risk it on these wings.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Quote from: frank2056 on September 28, 2011, 06:41:10 AM
Quote from: JayBee on September 28, 2011, 05:52:25 AM

Or Future, here in the US. I find that Kleer/Future does an even better job of sucking down decals as it dries.

I recently used Future on some decals, and was unimpressed. The decals were on a light gray or white background, and the Future showed up rather well; it dried up yellowish instead of clear.

Mossie

I find that Microset really helps the decals adhere to the model, but I only use it on troublesome decals.  If the decal already adheres well, it won't budge at all if you use Microset.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.