Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

I was looking at drawings of the Hunter trainer and I got to thinking about the EA-6B conversion from the A-6 and the Model 407/407A variants of the T-37 that Cessna looked at.  How does a four-seat, 2+2, Hunter variant sound?  What kind of canop arrangement would you have and what, besides a liaison aircraft or a jammer could you use it for?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

There was a four seat (at least 4) design, the Huntsman? Those with an affiliation/fetish for Hunters (ie Wookster, et al) will know the details. :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

elmayerle

QuoteThere was a four seat (at least 4) design, the Huntsman? Those with an affiliation/fetish for Hunters (ie Wookster, et al) will know the details. :lol:
I'm thinking of something not as extreme as the P.1128 in this case.

TsrJoe

... the initial concept for a 'passenger Hunter' (Hawker project design P.1128) retained the Hunters single Rolls -Royce Avon engine..it was only in the later finalised design that the 2x Bristol Siddely Orpheus, altho the revised forward fuselage was similar in both concepts.

... a copy of the final twin engined Hawker P.1128 drawing can be found in the 'vault' on my TSR.2 site (see link below!)

... the 'Spot-On models' fuselage conversion to enable the type to be built from the Airfix or Frog kits is also still avalible from me too!

hoping this is of use, cheers, Joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Davey B

What about a 'proper' TSR.2 systems trainer? Not the T.12, the equivalent of the Navy's T.8N -- TSR.2 radar!  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  

Lazlo Woodbine

:ph34r:

Going to be starting a TSR 2 trainer version(thanks Joe!) soon, I'll put it on here when(if) its finished.

PS

Lee, stop changing your avatar too much! it fair makes me ill.

PPS

Sylvester McCoy was in the Bodega again tonight.

:cheers:

"Ladies and gentlemen, England will be playing four-four f&*$£*^g two"

Mike Bassett

elmayerle

Well, here's a quick and dirty conversion from a rough profile of the T.7 I found online.  As I said, a conversion rather like the EA-6B rather than a full-up transport.  Without further blather, I bring you the four-hole Hunter.

Geoff_B

Ooooh that looks rather tasty, only problem is your now going to have to build it if you have a couple of the matchbox hits to spare.

G B)  

nev

Wow, that looks pretty tasty  :wub:

How much weight would the 2 extra seats and crew add?  Engine upgrade required or not?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

TsrJoe

hi Lee ... yip thats how i was thinking of doing it...itd certainly look sweet beside a 'normal' P1128...hmmm...Hawker house colour scheme in Red & ivory? ... overall aluminium RAF. bird?  B)

hi Evan ... nice one... thats one youv gotta model ... looks soo right too!  B)

Hi Dave ... re. a 'proper TSR.2 systems trainer' ...  the RAF. ordered a batch of Hunter T.66's (an uprated T.7 similar to the T.12) as the TSR.2 training aircraft!

Unfortunately i cant find a mention of any proposed 'radar trainers in the files! at a guess i would think the Canberra or Buccanneer S.1, both flying with the Ferranti TFR. system would be most suitable, altho at a glance models of same would just look like the trials aircraft! (hmmm, thinking ... im not sure if theres enough room inside the Hunters nose for the complete unit? as its speculative anyway theres nothing to stop you modelling it tho! as you said somat similar to the T.8M would look sweet!)  B)

cheers, joe  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Gary

It figures... as soon as I get my Matchbox twp seat Hunter and I have some spare Intruders....

Nope. No I won't.

Well ...

No!

But it does look cool.

Arrrgggggg :dum:

I HATE YOU ALL :lol:  
Getting back into modeling

elmayerle

QuoteWow, that looks pretty tasty  :wub:

How much weight would the 2 extra seats and crew add?  Engine upgrade required or not?
I might "pencil in" an engine update like the much modified T.7 or T.8 flying up in Idaho (it was written up a fwe months back in Flypast).  The're using an Avon from a Sea Vixen.

lancer

Pictures we want PICTURES
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

elmayerle

QuoteOoooh that looks rather tasty, only problem is your now going to have to build it if you have a couple of the matchbox hits to spare.
Well, I've now acquired the requisite Matchbox Hunter kits on EBay and I've got some three-views to work with in regard to developing the concept more fully.  I'm looking to try and do up some masters that can be "dropped in rubber" so that others can try their hand with the idea.  I'm jsut wondering how to outfit the aft cockpit area since there likely won't be a view ahead.  I'm rather thinking either a small transport for priority personnel or both an EW bird (like the EA-6B) and/or a trainer for such.

I am open to usggestions.

NARSES2

Evan, that drawing kind of reminded me of the front end of the Macchi trainer the Aussies used or that Embraer "thingy" stuck on the rear end of a Hunter - looks good though.

I did float the idea of a standard trainer front end and the Huntsman rear end at Perth. My rationale was as either a two seat figter with a weapons office for the missiles/radar or as an attack bird in the A6 role. I thought Lee was going to start it there and then ! :P

Chris  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.