Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Well, got one of the kits today and I was right to get two, I'll definitely be doing some carving here to fit everything together properly.  I might need some help with the rear canopy since I've not done any canopy forming in way, way too long.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

I've meant to ask, is there enough interest here for me to take the extra time to do this conversion with masters to allow others to make it?  Is there the interest?

elmayerle

Okay, did a second round of "cut 'n' paste" engineering on a 3-view of a T.12 (thanks, Joe):

Low Res

High Res

I can see that I need to further refine the contours and that I'll not be able to use as much of an existing canopy as I'd originally figured for the master of the aft one.  Well, that's why I'm doing this step, to get a better handle on what I need to do here.

elmayerle

QuoteEvan, would that Hunter not need an additional fuselage section aft of the wing?  It just looks unbalanced to my untrained eye.
Hmm, you might be right about that, Wooksta.  I'll have to play with that, too, in my next effort at "cut 'n' paste" engineering.  Properly done, it'd gve you some more room for fuel and improve the overall fineness ratio, I'll work with it.

Added by Edit: I went back and looked at the internal layout of the Hunter aft fuselage and I think I'd be inclined to either do a larger vertical tail, along the lines of what was done with the original two-seat Harrier or add a constant cross-section bit just aft of the wing and move the entire engine, tailpipe, aft fuselage aft.  I'd rather go with as simple an approach as possible to keep parts, construction, etc. as common as possible; might not have a choice, though.  If the problem turned out to be primarily one of cg, I'd look at moving the engine aft without changing the lines.

elmayerle

QuoteEvan, would that Hunter not need an additional fuselage section aft of the wing?  It just looks unbalanced to my untrained eye.
Hmm, you might be right about that, Wooksta.  I'll have to play with that, too, in my next effort at "cut 'n' paste" engineering.  Properly done, it'd gve you some more room for fuel and improve the overall fineness ratio, I'll work with it.

Added by Edit: I went back and looked at the internal layout of the Hunter aft fuselage and I think I'd be inclined to either do a larger vertical tail, along the lines of what was done with the original two-seat Harrier or add a constant cross-section bit just aft of the wing and move the entire engine, tailpipe, aft fuselage aft.  I'd rather go with as simple an approach as possible to keep parts, construction, etc. as common as possible; might not have a choice, though.  If the problem turned out to be primarily one of cg, I'd look at moving the engine aft without changing the lines.
After giving the matter some thought, it occurs to me that the most likely avenue toward balancing the aircraft's aerodynamics would be a pair of ventral strakes on the aft section as this would allow standardization of aft fuselage structure.  Weight and balane considerations could be accomodated with suitably placed balance weights and the engines upgraded to either one of the more powerful later versions of the 200-series Avon (like the Avon 211 in the Sea Vixen) or a dry variant of the Avon 300-series.

I've done another cut at defining the lines of the four-seater, but haven't yet added the strakes:

Here it is!

I"m thinking of two strakes on either side of the airbrake and starting just aft of it (might as well pick up existing structure ;) )

Comments?

Oh, I should note that my stash now includes two Matchbox Hunters to be used in developing this concept, likely with masters so that further models of a four-seater can be made.

NARSES2

Now I can see that being used as a VIP transport as well as a trainer. Looking like a Hunter should Evan - smooth and class.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Still got a 1/48th Hunter and I'm thinking of doing a Frankish example, "Crusades" thread.

But it's a damned boring, no...BORING aicraft, so what can I add to it to make it look attractive and interesting?
Any ideas welcome.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Brian da Basher

Add spats! It's a proven fact that spats add to the look of any aircraft!

I love spats!  :wub:

Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

Make it a turbine powered prop job like those early Yank VTOL types, add a big honkin' contra prop from a pogo or somat. Do her up in NMF and Stars N' Bars.

Or, make it CDN. Nowt boring about leafy roundels.

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Archibald

Change it into a P.1091 adding a delta wing!  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Nigel Bunker

Well you asked:

On Friday July 6th 1979, villager and holidaymakers had a miraculous escape when  an out of control RAF fighter jet ploughed into the village just yards away from a loaded petrol tanker. The pilot, who was on a training flight, experienced control difficulties and had to eject into the sea leaving his Hawker Hunter jet to crash into the sea. Instead it veered towards land, hurtling at 250mph and a major disaster seemed inevitable. But it was nothing short of a miracle when the jet ended up wedged in a 12' gap between Klymiarven Guest house and King Arthur's Terrace, Tintagel, damaging just three cars, a greenhouse and a swimming pool in it's wake.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

GeorgeC

There was was a plan to mount Firesteak or Sidewinder on Lighting-style mountings as part of the Aden gun pack - may even have been flow in aerodynamic trials.  You could put an AI23 in the nose as well.  And an afterburner!

Regards

GeorgeC    

Archibald

Just look at the end of BSP. There's a pile of mutant Hunters between number 1080 and 1135...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

nev

QuoteAdd spats! It's a proven fact that spats add to the look of any aircraft!
Not just spats, rigging as well!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Cover it in gold leaf, Sultan of Bruni's personnel aircraft  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader