Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliffy B

Oh good!  I'm looking to make a fully operational line bird out it rather than just a trainer so awesome!  It doesn't come with the option for all 4 20mms by chance does it?  I might be able to use the Revell kit to get those....hmmm....
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Mossie

I read in SAMI that a Hunter T.7 is due for realease by someone, can't remember who, think it was MPM or AModel maybe.  I'll have a look later & see if I can find it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Mossie on July 09, 2010, 02:43:16 AM
I read in SAMI that a Hunter T.7 is due for realease by someone, can't remember who, think it was MPM or AModel maybe.  I'll have a look later & see if I can find it.

if you do look, mossie i don't think its too precise as to exactly who is doing it be it resin or limited run injection molded.
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on July 09, 2010, 02:43:16 AM

The snippet says that "someone has commissioned a large Czech manufacturer to produce". So whats the betting it will be Xtrakit ? It's the way they do things, although they've been using Sword who I wouldn't call "large" but thats only a personal take.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

I'm considering building a Hunter F.6, preferably in 1:72 (XG210). The only F.6 kit available at Hannants is an expensive resin one. I've seen some favorable reviews of the Revell kit, but that's OOP. How do the others (Airfix?) compare?
It seems the FGA.9 kit should be fairly close, can I use that instead?

The Wooksta!

Yes, you can use the Revell Hunter FGA 9  You'll have to leave off the overwing blisters, the flaps don't have the circular cut out so no need to alter the kit parts.  The only surgery it'll need is to the tail pipe section to remove the parachute housing.  However, I may have that section spare from an F6 that's going to be a 2 seat P.1083.

I take it the expensive resin one is the PJ kit?  It's nice but too short.  I got one on ebay last year for just under a tenner - the price of the Revell kit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Cliffy B on July 08, 2010, 04:51:47 PM
Oh good!  I'm looking to make a fully operational line bird out it rather than just a trainer so awesome!  It doesn't come with the option for all 4 20mms by chance does it?  I might be able to use the Revell kit to get those....hmmm....

The trainers could only ever carry 2 at most.  TBH, there were many who considered the Hunter to be overgunned with the 4 30mms.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

James

I've read that about the 4x 30mm. However, two guns just wouldn't look as good - with four ADENs the Hunter sure looks like it means business.  :wacko:

Mossie

Lee's beat me to it.    Another difference between the F.6 & FGA.9 is that the latter can use larger 230 gallon drop tanks on the inner pylon.  Apart from that, they're pretty much the same.  The Revell FGA.9 kit has both sizes of drop tank, not sure about the Airfix kit. 

From what I can gather, the Airfix kit isn't bad, although the Revell kit is the one to go for being much more modern & generally more accurate.  You should be able to get a Revell kit, they'e oob, but only recentley & many places still have stock.  Proabably easier to get than the Airfix kit.  If Lee can't spare the F.6 tailpipe, I should be able to as I have the same conversion.

Try giving Tim (thedarkmaster) a shout as he works at Modelzone & they recentely had both Revell F.6's & FGA.9's for five pounds, still should work out reasonable with postage to Holland.  I also think Ian Hunter Gatherer was lettting some go in a stash sale recentley, not sure if he got rid of them.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I mentioned before about a Hunter trainer, it's been the proverbial bus, none for ages then several at once.

Olimp is the resin manufacturer I alluded to, they have three different kits on offer.  A T.7C/T.8C/T.53, a T.66/T.66A/T.66B/T.68 & a T.8M (the one with the Shar FRS.1 nosecone).  All going for £35.99.
Olimp Hunter trainers on Hannants

Xtrakit is also offering an injection T.7, listed at £17.99.
Xtrakit Hunter T.7 on Hannants

The Wooksta!

The Olimp is a copy of the Revell kit.  I'll get one of the Xtrakit ones...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 01, 2010, 04:15:27 AM
TBH, there were many who considered the Hunter to be overgunned with the 4 30mms.

At least a couple of Pakistani F.86 pilots would concur with that statement. I remember an article in Air Enthusiast eons ago about one of the Indo/Pakistan wars which described a couple of air-air engagements between Sabres & Hunters. A couple of Sabres simply disappeared in mid air
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 01, 2010, 07:48:53 AM
TBH, there were many who considered the Hunter to be overgunned with the 4 30mms.

At least a couple of Pakistani F.86 pilots would concur with that statement. I remember an article in Air Enthusiast eons ago about one of the Indo/Pakistan wars which described a couple of air-air engagements between Sabres & Hunters. A couple of Sabres simply disappeared in mid air

But wasn't the concept of having four large cannon mainly because the main targets were supposed to be the bombers.  I remember reading the book 'I Flew for the Fuhrer' by Edward Knox where he describes attacking B-17's and B-24's in the Me-262, he said along with the rapid closing distance and the vibrations of the aircraft, most of his shells went either over or under the target. Mind, they were slower firing guns than the Adens.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

£36 for a 1/72 Hunter?

For goodness sake, has the world gone mad? No way would I EVER pay that much for a kit that size, it's ridiculous.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 01, 2010, 09:17:55 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on December 01, 2010, 07:48:53 AM

But wasn't the concept of having four large cannon mainly because the main targets were supposed to be the bombers.  I remember reading the book 'I Flew for the Fuhrer' by Edward Knox where he describes attacking B-17's and B-24's in the Me-262, he said along with the rapid closing distance and the vibrations of the aircraft, most of his shells went either over or under the target. Mind, they were slower firing guns than the Adens.

They also had a low muzzle velocity, giving them severe drop at combat ranges, which didn't help either. The original ADEN ammo (30x96mm?) was almost as bad, but then they compromised a bit and went to 30x113mm. It's still the lowest-powered commonly available 30mm cannon ammo though.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones