Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Gilbertson

Have made a P.1083 and P.1101 - Airfix + old Maintrak conversions. Don't know if some of the conversion sets might still be around,

Their P.1109 worked out all right as well

Happy modelling!
:cheers:

ysi_maniac

Beautiful hunters that I will use as inspiration.
In fact, I will not make a P.1083 but a supersonic Hunter in late 60s or early 70s.

Thanks,
Carlos.
Will die without understanding this world.

AeroplaneDriver

Since word has come from High Command that all modeling materials must be cleared from the living room by Saturday in preparation for holiday visitors, I've set my current sci-fi project aside for the time being.  

Instead I'm going to spend the next few days on a quick-and-easy project.  I've just about settled on a RoG 1/72 Hunter F.6 since I'll soon be looking for an FGA.9 for the stash.  

Two options I'm considering for this kit are:

1.  Continued service alongside the Lightning as an RAFG interceptor after 1963.  I'm thinking a nice easy radar nose and a pair of Red Top or Sidewinder AAMs.  Paint scheme would be based on the RAFG Lightning green upper/bare metal lower scheme.

2.  Vietnam deployment within this alternate history I posted a while back.  Since I dont have an FGA.9 yet I'll either scratchbuild the tailpipe or leave it as an F.6A with GA mods.  

Since I'd like to have a load of 2 x Matra rocket pods and 2 x 1000lb bombs, and at least 1 external tank on a SEA build, I'm interested in the centerline pylon considered for RAF machines and the one fitted to Singapore's Hunters.  Does anyone have any info or pics of this installation?

Thanks!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

retro_seventies

Not so much on the centre pylon, but some cool pics that might inspire?

http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/shinecommerce/131...61.html?p=8&t=2
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Mossie

Here's a pic from A.net of bombs loaded on the fuselage on a Singapore Hunter museum bird.  Not the best pic, but it does show roughly where it is, almost directly between the gun fairings, looks like it's holding a double bomb rack.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0957...lrne&photo_nr=4

With your colour schemes, if you go for the Lightning's Dark Green uppers, then the undersides would probably have been either silver dope, or most likely Light Aircraft Grey.  Geoff (Thorvic) mentions that the Lightning was a special case & for some unknown reason specific to the Lightning the undersides were left bare.  You'll find most other RAF aircraft painted.  Saying that Hunter's in other Dutch service had silver dope undersides, so you've got an option there.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Also, I started this thread some time ago, on possible RAF SEA schemes, hopefully you'll find it useful:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...5405&hl=vietnam

I did a view paint diagrams to test some of the colour options, I haven't got access to them, so I'll post them later.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Singapore too, at least that museum bird I posted is toting four along with a bomb load & two tanks.  Probably not representative of a real load out, but meant to show what it could carry.

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteYou don't need the radar nose with the Sidewinders, hence the Dutch option having them in the kit.  The Swiss and the Chileans also had 'winders on their Hunters - I think.

RAuxAF might be a better bet.
I was thinking of a radar nose more as a rationale for keeping the Hunter in service as an interceptor after the Lightning comes along, allowing at least an independent point-defence capability.

While reading up on the Hunter yesterday I was surprised just how many operators used Sidewinders (from what I found at least  Chile, the Netherlands, Oman, Rhodesia, Sweden, Switzerland, and Singapore were wired for AIM-9s), as well as the number of relatively minor improvements the RAF never received, mainly due to the percveived impending obsolesence of manned fighters.  Even Sidewinders and the centerline uel tank would have greatly increased capability.

I also started looking at the T.8M and startred wondering what a single-seat Hunter withe an updated cockpit, Blue Fox, and AIM-9Ls would look like, operatating alongside the Tornado F.3s into the late 1980s.  

I've always thought of the Hunter as one of the great British success stories, but seeing what could have been with the CFE Hunter or the P1083 it starts looking more and more like another missed opportunity... <_<

Ian the Kiwi Herder

The other problem with (my beloved) Hunter was it's notoriously short legs... even with four tanks it was limited to a maximum of two and half hours or thereabouts, which obviously dropped exponentially once it stated manoeuvering hard (not to mention the hot/high/tropical humidity issues it would encounter in Vietnam - some form of external tank would be compulsory - IMHO.

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

AeroplaneDriver

I've started the build, but it's still early so I'm still not sure if it will be a Vietnam machine or a mid-60s RAFG point defence intereceptor.  Either way I'm planning on the 100gal tanks on the inboards (wish I had the big tanks from the 9!).  If I go with the Vietnam scenario I'm thinking about a tandem bomb arrangement on centerline, sort of like the Jaguar had.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteI've started the build,(wish I had the big tanks from the 9!).  .
Got plenty..... you wannem, you gottem ! - I'm not named HUNTER-GATHERER for nothing, y'know !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

As promised, my own RAF SEA experiments, all based on colours in the MoD range before 1965.  The only ones with any prescidence are Dark Green/Dark Earth (WWII) and Olive Green/Mid Stone (used on RN Wessex's in the Far East 50's & 60's).  As they are RGB colours, they probably won't look quite the same painted.  I think Dark Earth/Light or Mid Stone would be best, although I like the look of the two tone greens.

Dark Earth/Dark Green

Dark Earth/Earth Brown

Dark Earth/Light Bronze Green

Dark Green/Light Stone

Dark Green/Mid Stone

Light Green/Mid Stone

Olive Green/Light Bronze Green

Olive Green/light Earth

Olive Green/Light Stone

Olive Green/Mid Stone

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteI've started the build,(wish I had the big tanks from the 9!).  .
Got plenty..... you wannem, you gottem ! - I'm not named HUNTER-GATHERER for nothing, y'know !

Ian
Thanks a lot for the offer Ian!  I'll pass this time though.  You know I'm a frantic builder, generally finishing a project in a few days.  I'd lose interest while waiting for the post, especially over Christmas.  Again, thanks so much for the offer though!! :cheers:

I'll either go with the 100gal tanks or improvise from another kit.

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteAs promised, my own RAF SEA experiments, all based on colours in the MoD range before 1965.  The only ones with any prescidence are Dark Green/Dark Earth (WWII) and Olive Green/Mid Stone (used on RN Wessex's in the Far East 50's & 60's).  As they are RGB colours, they probably won't look quite the same painted.  I think Dark Earth/Light or Mid Stone would be best, although I like the look of the two tone greens.

Some inspiring color ideas there Mossie!  

Since this is a quickie build before the Holiday weekend gets started (It's Donnas birthday Sunday as well as all the Christmas stuff going on), I'm going to use paints I already have.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Vietnam build with some sort of tan-green combination over silver.

I'll get a proper build thread started in the proper place later.

Daryl J.

Do some of the RofG Hunter F.6 kits not have the FGA.9 tailpipe?   Mine does.

Daryl J.