Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteDo some of the RofG Hunter F.6 kits not have the FGA.9 tailpipe?   Mine does.

Daryl J.
I got this kit a few years ago, so it only has the F.6 parts unfortunately.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

elmayerle

I've been doing some thinking about possibilities for re-engining the Hunter as part of zero-timign the airframe for continued usage.  The J79 seems suitable, but it's just enough larger than the Avon that there's likely to be problems fitting it to the existing aft fuselage.  Despite the fun it'll present for weight and balance purposes, I'm leaning toward the idea of using a F404/F414 or a RB.199 derivative.  Any thoughts here?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Mossie

A licence built version of the M53 maybe?  More than enough thrust for the Hunter & pretty simple to maintain, a feature that might be desirable for Hunter customers that were late to the party.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

My take on a tandem seating Hunter trainer:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

JayBee

Quote from: GTX on May 06, 2009, 12:40:44 PM
My take on a tandem seating Hunter trainer:

Regards,

Greg

Well done that man, he has managed to uglyfie a seamingly un-uglifyable aircraft!

I think the original Hawker idea for a tandem two seater was better, still not nice mind you, but better.

Cheers,

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

GTX

Quote from: JayBee on May 06, 2009, 01:08:40 PM
Well done that man, he has managed to uglyfie a seamingly un-uglifyable aircraft!

Bah!!! Speak for yourself - I think the real world side be side trainers were ugly.

Quote from: JayBee on May 06, 2009, 01:08:40 PM
I think the original Hawker idea for a tandem two seater was better, still not nice mind you, but better.

Do you have a picture of that?

Regards,

Greg

GTX

I suppose you will probably complain about a UCAV Hunter as well:

Regards,

Greg

JayBee

Do you have a picture of that?

[/quote]

Not at the moment. There was a model of one on a stand at Cosford but I did not take a photo of it.
However I do know that it was built using a conversion that was an old MAINTRACK issue.
Compared to your drawing the Hawker design had a longer canopy that did not have such a pronounced hump.
At those times no-one had thought to give the instructor a better view by raising his seat, hence Britains preference for side by side seating.

As for your UCAV, well, it is not too bad but why deny some human the joy of flying a Hunter?

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Here's a quick pic of the Maintrack P1101 conversion. The instruction isn't that clear but you'll get the overall shape I'm sure.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: JayBee on May 07, 2009, 01:38:40 AM

At those times no-one had thought to give the instructor a better view by raising his seat, hence Britains preference for side by side seating.

Not true. The pre-WWII Aeronca TC Tandem Trainer/Defender had the instructor pilot's seat raised.

The privately-funded Lockheed "T-33B" (L-245) studies that eventually led to the T2V-1 for the USN began in
October 1952 and from the beginning they included the raised instructor seat and revised canopy to
improve the instructor's view.

pyro-manic

Hmm - I actually prefer Greg's version to that one!

I think they both need more of a spine, though, to balance them out.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 07, 2009, 11:10:21 AMHmm - I actually prefer Greg's version to that one!

Agreed, Greg's is prettier, almost a Seahawk look to the nose.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GTX

Thanks guys!

Apart from raising the rear seat, I moved the front seat forward a bit.

Regards,

Greg

jcf

Quote from: GTX on May 07, 2009, 01:24:27 AM
I suppose you will probably complain about a UCAV Hunter as well:

Regards,

Greg

Has a Mace look about it.  ;D

Another notion, take your UCAV Hunter profile ditch the guns (and related mil service bumps) and add
in a Bugatti 100 type canopy for a really clean looking racer.

Cheers

GTX

I like your thinking - will investigate over the weekend.

Another idea would be to go with a prone pilot arrangement.

Regards,

Greg