Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It occurs to me that the Spitfire Tr9 also had a raised instructors seat. Good thing too as his view otherwise would have been minimal!

That brings to mind thoughts of a side by side Spitfire Trainer..............., er, maybe not!  :rolleyes:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 08, 2009, 01:58:49 AM
That brings to mind thoughts of a side by side Spitfire Trainer..............., er, maybe not!  :rolleyes:

Already ahead of you there - watch this space.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

While doing some research on the Rhodesian Golf Bomb I stumbled across this image of a RSAF Hunter that has been fitted with what looks to be a triple ejector rack under the fuselage.  This rack has what appear to be Mk 82 type 500 pound general purpose bombs.  I was unaware of the Hunter being able to carry anything under the fuselage and this certainly opens up new possibilities for arming the Hunter. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ChernayaAkula

Most interesting find, Jeffrey!  :o Wasn't aware of that either.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

I'd read about Singaporean Hunters being modified with a belly pylon, but I hadn't been able to find any pictures. Thanks for posting that, Jeffry. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

The latest issue of Combat Aircraft came in the mail yesterday, there's a little article which says that the RN are using some RAF Hawks, but the RAF need them back.  It says that the RN may have to dust off some of their Hunters to do the work that the Hawks did   :blink:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DarrenP

some "potential" hunter Clients that would have been interesting to see

Austrian Airforce
Australian Airforce
South African Airforce
New Zealand airforce
Canadian Airforce

Would an Adour engine variant be feasible?
Blue fox or vixen Radar
CVR7 rockets
or Nav attack system from Jaguar GR1A

elmayerle

The Adour is a bit under-powered in comparison to the Avon 100 or 200 in the Hunter; a better choice would be a dry RB.199 or EJ200.  dimensionally, you could probably fit, just, a dry PW1120 though you'd have the volume to add the full burner for high-performance requirements.  It'd be a tight fit but *just* doable, I believe.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

pyro-manic

I don't think the Adour is powerful enough - the Hunter F.6 and later models had an Avon producing 10,000lbs thrust.

EDIT: Whoops, elmayerle beat me to it. Perhaps there's a bizjet engine that would be suitable?

Weaver

Thinking about the P.1083 and the Hunter's notorious short-leggedness, would a bulged spine fuel tank, MiG-21PF-style, work? Might be aesthetic heresy, but gas is gas and it's a low(ish)-drag, no pylon option.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

The trainer marks already have a lengthened (& widened) hump, I think a small one wouldn't hurt a single seat Hunter looks much.  Fully extending the spine like the bis might, but I kind of like the idea of a Hunter pushed to it's developmental limits, P.1083 wing, radar nose, more pylons, defensive aids etc.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

The other thing that occurs to me is that the spine might be bulged toward the rear to give a measure of area-ruling, which would be particularly relevent to the P.1083.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DarrenP

With the Hunters short leggedness wouldn't a refueling probe not be a good addition?

Portugese hunters in Africa would be a good subject

pyro-manic

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: DarrenP on January 21, 2010, 05:04:49 AMWith the Hunters short leggedness wouldn't a refueling probe not be a good addition?

Considering how simple it was to add on the probe and drogue refueling equipment I am surprised that the Hunter never underwent such modifications.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg