Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 07, 2010, 06:56:35 AM
Would you need a fold?  The wingspan of the Hunter is 33 ft 8 in (10.26 m), the A4's is 26 ft 6 in (8.38 m).  I think you could get away with just the tips, from the inboard edge of the aileron folding.  You're right the ribs run perpendicular to the spar but you could have an angled fold which follows the ribs.

The relevent rib runs from the inboard edge of the aileron to about halfway down the dogtooth extension. On a very VERY rough estimate, it's going to reduce the span by about 4 ft per wing, which isn't much, but then as you point out, it might just be enough. If it wasn't, then maybe you could pick a rib further inboard, let the fold cut across the flap shroud, and simply shorten the flap itself: after, all, they cut a significant chunk out of it to clear the big tanks on the FGA.9. Going a bit further, a navalised Hunter might need re-engineered flaps for carrier landings anyway, so they could incorporate the wing fold as part of the redesign.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

I have a revell hunter that I want to upgrade as a mach 1+ capable multi role aircraft for the Honduras airforce. I was going to go about this by a simple re engine job and an afterburner exhaust can. Is there anything else I would need to do to it to make this a more realistic version?
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

Maybe the increased sweep wing that Sivler Cloud/Freightdog do? A pointier nose?

The Hunter could go supersonic in a dive, so the airframe will do it. The only problem is fuel - it was very short-legged, so maybe some CFTs and/or a funky bulged spine a la Skyhawk/Mig-21?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

NARSES2

Quote from: apophenia on February 12, 2010, 05:00:56 PM
I was pondering using that Revell Hunter as the basis for a Lockheed L-183-6 V-G fighter.*
That got me wondering if any whiffers have ever produced a variable-geometry Hunter?

Often thought about it and then discovered Hawkers had drawn plans up for one. Simple wing sweep on about the line of the dog-tooth. I saw mine as an SU-22 type conversion.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: chrisonord on February 12, 2010, 03:11:26 PM
I have a revell hunter that I want to upgrade as a mach 1+ capable multi role aircraft for the Honduras airforce. I was going to go about this by a simple re engine job and an afterburner exhaust can. Is there anything else I would need to do to it to make this a more realistic version?
Cheers,
Chris.

Yeah, I agree with Alun, go for the Silver Cloud P.1083 conversion.  It gives you the 500 sweep thin wings as well as the reheat nozzle, the parts are a simple swap for the kit bits.  I've got this & I'm planning to combine it with the P.1109 radar nose.

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=436&osCsid=f6a8251baa341cf8e04139d58433b8b4

There were other real-world supersonic Hunter proposals, I'll dig them out later.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

If anyone has the Aerofax Gloster Meteor book by Tony Buttler and Phil Butler, there's a colour photo on page 137 of three Meteors and a Hunter taken at Llanbedr.

The Hunter is unusual because it's painted overall white with a blue cheat line starting around the nose and then down along the center of the sides of the fuselage. It appears to have this blue running along the top of the fuselage from the nose to and including all the tail.  From the angle that the photo was taken from, it looks like it has quite a pointed nose to it,  anyone know anything about this Hunter ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

As promised, supersonic Hunter developments:

P.1083.  Reheated Avon RA.7R in the prototype, RA.14R in early prdouction machines, with the RA.19 later.  Mock up was built.

P.1090. 500 wing from the P.1083 with radar, reheated Gyron & enlarged intakes

P.1091 Delta Hunter.  Transonic at mach 0.98 with reheated Sapphire 4.  Would have been supersonic in a shallow dive.

P.1093.  Not strictly speaking a Hunter, although it had several design elements taken from it, similar fuselage, tail, undercarriage & canopy layout (although it was much smaller).  Gyron or RA.14 Avon, six 30mm cannon in the wing roots.

P.1100.  Hunter with RA.24 Avon & two rockets in wing trailing edge roots, capable of Mach 1.5.  AI.20 radar, two 30mm cannon & two Firestreak.

P.1135.  Hunter with thin wing & RB.146 (Avon 300).
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

royabulgaf

I'm reminded of Roy Braybrook's quote "Anyone who gets all misty-eyed about the thin wing hunter should take a look at the F-5 and see what a real transonic aircraft looks like"
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

PR19_Kit

Quote from: royabulgaf on February 13, 2010, 11:10:51 AM
I'm reminded of Roy Braybrook's quote "Anyone who gets all misty-eyed about the thin wing hunter should take a look at the F-5 and see what a real transonic aircraft looks like"

You're walking in DANGEROUS lands saying things like that in here!  :o

Anyway, wasn't the F-5 flown by the bad guys? I saw 'Top Gun' you know.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: apophenia on February 13, 2010, 12:13:36 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 13, 2010, 01:39:45 AM
Often thought about it and then discovered Hawkers had drawn plans up for one. Simple wing sweep on about the line of the dog-tooth. I saw mine as an SU-22 type conversion.

That wing-sweep approach sounds alot more sensible than Lockheed's L-183-6 concept. (Goofy idea to have the u/c in the sweeping section of the wing!) When you say "SU-22 type conversion", do you mean modding the Hunter bits along the line of the Sukhoi or actually using Su-22 outer panels?

They were going to mod the Hunter bits, in a similar way as Sukhoi did with the SU-22.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Sorry mate missed the point there  :banghead: The origional plan was to mod the model hunter bits and I sketched a few things out. Then thought of using modified Tornado wings. Never got any farther then a vague plan though. Don't build that many jets.

Chris

rickshaw

Getting back to the idea of the "Sea Hunter"(tm), I was reading that many T.7s and T.8s were equipped with arrester hooks for simulated carrier landings during training of RN FAA pilots.   So, was the undercarriage "beefed up" to handle this?   If so, then it seems that the "Sea Hunter"(tm) might have been a possibility.  Was there ever any consideration in real life to this?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TsrJoe

from the files ... there was a Hunter variant proposed to the RN. back in the late 50's the 'P.1117'...a nice easy conversion from any single seat kit... remove dogtooth from wings, add leading edge slats, add rear fuselage airbrakes, add 'Blue Parrot' shaped nosecone, revised windscreen, tip tanks, underwing firestreaks and a 'proper' arrestor hook and the there you have it...one navalised Hunter!

re. the 'vg.' Hunter previously mentioned, iv only ever seen a very rough plan view of the design which was from a Vickers source file covering vg. conversions of existing aircraft, the Hunter being included along with the Lightning F.1 and Swift F.4, i can confirm the pivot point was outboard of the undercarriage giving a large wing glove with small movable area remaining (the overall planform was unmodified) visually similar to a Sukhoi glove

cheers, Joe

ps. re the RN. operated T.7/T.8 i think the undercart was pretty much as per standard at least i cant se any obvious differences comparing pics of the RN. and RAF. ones apart from the obvious hook and nose light ??
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

pyro-manic

I seem to recall reading somewhere that tip tanks on the Hunter caused some problems during testing, so it was dropped?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

I've always been wondering if the P.1091 could have been made more formidable than a stock Hunter in terms of weapon payloads......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here