Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 01, 2010, 09:22:05 AM
£36 for a 1/72 Hunter?

For goodness sake, has the world gone mad? No way would I EVER pay that much for a kit that size, it's ridiculous.  :banghead:

They're resin, Kit.  Which explains the high cost
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

I heard from Chris that although Olimp models are expensive, the quality is very good.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Not surprising.  They've pirated the Revell Hunter to create the master.  The breakdown is identical.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 01, 2010, 10:52:16 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 01, 2010, 09:22:05 AM
£36 for a 1/72 Hunter?

For goodness sake, has the world gone mad? No way would I EVER pay that much for a kit that size, it's ridiculous.  :banghead:

They're resin, Kit.  Which explains the high cost

Not when they ncked the masters off Revell, Robert. In my book it's spelt G R E E D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Except the breakdown isn't identical.  The wings are one piece.  The tailpipe is integral, whereas the tail isn't.  A lot of the rest is very similar, but for the same level of detail, there's only so many ways you can do it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

The breakdown is simplified, yes - stupid to create 3 moulds for the wing when one will suffice but the master has been created using the Revell kit as a basis. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

But why split the tail?

The Wooksta!

Ease of getting it out of the mould, I guess.  You can put the tailfin in with the tailplanes.  The fuselage looks to be a two piece mould and if the tailfin was left in situ you can have mismatch problems.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on December 01, 2010, 12:51:08 PM
I heard from Chris that although Olimp models are expensive, the quality is very good.

They are really nice - top end resin manufacturer. I'm just waiting for the Seagull to come out  :thumbsup:

As for using the Revell kit for a basis then that's speculation, possibly informed but still speculation. Most of the resin/limited injection boys have used someone elses kit as a master at some point in time. Some of the big boys kits look vaguely familiar at times as well. But you can speculate as much as you want it happens all the time. The price however is another matter. As 2 seat Hunters are not my thing it dosn't bother me. If you want it enough you will pay the price.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Does anyone know of any air forces that showed interest in the P.1083, other than the RAF?  I started cleaning up my Freightdog P.1083 & P.1109 parts.  Not sure of what markings to put it in, RAF is an option & I've got a few ideas for foreign operators but it would be nice to have some real world basis.  Lacking that, any plausible operators?

Thoughts, ideally someone who didn't operate Hunters (with the exception of the RAF, although I probaly go for Sqaudrons that didn't):
RAF (thinking RAuxAF, probably 600 Sqn, I've not got decals but could easily basterdise some markings)
SAAF (seems plausible for the timescale, would also fit in with the Africa GB)
JASDF (were very interested in a radar vesion of the F-100, might well have been interested in a radar P.1083)
RCAF (like the idea of leafy roundels & have some in the decal stash)
Turkey (F-100 operator, the old square markings would look good, should be easy to create or get cheaply from a PM kit)

Any neutral MiG-19 operators, Indonesia maybe?

The Wooksta!

I'd stick with Hunter operators, apart from either SAAF, RNZAF or RAAF. 

Black Arrows has been done so how about a Blue Diamonds display aircraft? 

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

pyro-manic

Lebanese, instead of Mirage IIIs?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 05, 2011, 02:38:29 PM

I originally had planned a pre-Rapberry RAE scheme (the period were they were all highly individual, think I mentioned it at Telford) but I've lost the enthusiasm for that one.  Part of the reason is nearly all the P.1083's I've seen have been finished in a non-operational paint job, the Black Arrow's version, at least two depictions of prototypes (one being the Generals) & Mike McEvoy's red F.3 analogue.  So I've shifted my ideas to operational versions rather than demonstrators or display aircraft, although I'm open to special schemes over camouflage (I've formed an idea in my head for the 600 Sqn machine).

I don't really fancy RNZAFor RAAF for some reason, not sure why, just not doing it for me.  SAAF is at the top of the list at the mo along with the 600 Sqn aircraft.  I guess I want something a little bit different from what else I've seen, I realise Mike McEvoy has also done some RAF machines, but if I do that I'll try to put my own stamp on it.

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 05, 2011, 02:38:29 PM

It's one I'd considered as I've got some decals in the stash but I'd talked myself out of it.  I guess the Royal Libyan Air Force could have taken Hunters before Gaddafi got in, but it's not one I fancy.

The Wooksta!

The only thing is that the conversion as is isthe prototype with the Avon RA3 - the same type and jetpipe used on the F3. Operational ones would have had the Avon RA7 and that would have had a different tailpipe entirely, probably something like the Swift F7 or perhaps the Fairey Delta 2.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

How about Indian? Say the RAF passed on it so Hawker sold the project to HAL.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones