Hawker Hunter

Started by elmayerle, April 13, 2005, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: Mossie on March 07, 2011, 06:13:19 AM
I think the pic below gives me a good idea of how to proceed.  It's a Draken tailpipe, they used a similar version of the Avon in the Lightning but with eyelid reheat outlet.  Looking into the lip, you can see the shape of the reheat housing.  This suggests the pipe on the Aries set isn't underscale, that the widest point is not the tailpipe.  So my thoughts are to adapt the conversion or standard Hunter tailpipe to accept the Aries tailpipe, with a little bit of putty to fair it in.

The production version was to have a fully variable reheat outlet, unlike the on-off eyelid type of the prototype.  I've got an old Flightpath etch set that has petals for the Lightning, I found it too fiddly on another build but I might have another go with a bit more patience.  If that fails, the razor saw will come out to create petals on the Aries eyelid.

The Draken tailpipe was the rear end of a SAAB internally developed afterburner. In fact, that AB was so long that the resulting engine installation for some time was the longest airplane engine in the world. lso, interestingly enough, SAAB did develop a smaller afterburner for the Swedish Hunter F.4. It was testflown, but as it was found that the limited increase in performance didn't match the increased fuel consumption, the project was abandoned.

What I really meant to point out is that the tailpipe in your pic is not representative for a british Avon. Sorry for the rambling..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

ysi_maniac

With Mirage front ...

... a little more 'miraged'

Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Quote from: Pellson on August 01, 2012, 12:59:20 PM
The Draken tailpipe was the rear end of a SAAB internally developed afterburner. In fact, that AB was so long that the resulting engine installation for some time was the longest airplane engine in the world. lso, interestingly enough, SAAB did develop a smaller afterburner for the Swedish Hunter F.4. It was testflown, but as it was found that the limited increase in performance didn't match the increased fuel consumption, the project was abandoned.

What I really meant to point out is that the tailpipe in your pic is not representative for a british Avon. Sorry for the rambling..

Don't worry, I know what you mean.  The production P.1083's would have had a larger bore Avon than the standard Hunter, in fact the engine would have formed the outer skin of the aircraft as Hawkers stru.ggled to fit it in the available space.  I found a drawing of the large bore Avon and the shape of the afterburner and it was this I used as a template, rather than the Draken itself.  I got it started, but it hasn't progressed much farther than that
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

Suited for British People's Republic Air Force (BPRAF)

pyro-manic

I like the Mirage crosses. Spiky Hunter. :thumbsup: And the nose-breathers would mean space for a couple of enormous cannon (4.5" recoilless?) in the wing roots.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ysi_maniac

Hi KitNut, for you to consider alternatives  ;) :)

PR19_Kit

That top one looks very like the HF-24 Marut!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 06, 2012, 12:53:59 PM
That top one looks very like the HF-24 Marut!  :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, does anybody know of a 1/72 model of the HF-24?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Digging into the dark recesses of what passes for my mind I'm pretty sure there has been one in the past.

Maybe a Broplan vacform?

Wrong! :banghead:

Apparently Alliance Models (Who?) did a resin one in 1/72, see here :- http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/august/first-looks/alliance_marut.htm
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Mmm, long out of production it seems.  As rare as rocking-horse pooh, I fear.   Shame, I've always liked the look of the Marut.  :(
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Ah Alliance - I knew it was one of those companies. I've got some of their kits and they did/do good stuff
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Offshoot of the MPM octopus.  A lot of the Alliance kits are ex-CMK tools.  The Marut was one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Thought they were Lee, had a very familiar look and feel
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

A Polish company called Warrior also did a Marut in 1/72 scale, kit #7203, according to the PAK-20 book.  It's a vacuform kit and was available back in 2002 but no info about availability since then.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

royabulgaf

IIRC, there was one on eBay about a week or so ago.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year