R

TSR2

Started by Radish, May 14, 2003, 01:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skorpio

You don't really have to revise the nose.  Strip out the sidescan radar, use the radar from the Lightning (AI23?) which would fit in the TSR2 nose, and stick four Red Tops under the wings.
It's still a bit big for a fighter, so keep the internal bay and put a pair of ADENs where the sidescan radar aerials were, and it could be used as a fighter bomber.

Nick

Quickly dragging this thread back to it's original purpose, I started my TSR-2 last night. I have three main questions right now;

1) How should I remove that large lump of resin sticking out of the fuselage sections?
(A junior hacksaw comes to mind or I could slowly slice it off with a scalpel)

2) Will superglue work on white metal?

3) How do you guys trim the flash off white metal?

Thanks,
Nick  :G

[!--EDIT|Nick|June 08 2003,02:41--]

Skorpio

Yeah, bring the references, but don't burden yourself with chairs.  We should have enough of those.  If not, we nick them.  All's fair, as other branches will do as to us as we will do to them.

As for manning the stand, me and Martin usually manage that, but other people pop in for a chat and a sit down for a while so we can nick off and buy up some nice goodies.  

As far as my IPMS branch is concerned, I'm always behind our stand at the various shows I visit and there's precious little sign of various other members, some of whom prefer to be propping up the bar or never bother going in the first place.  I've done my share at the other shows, so for the Nats and our show, I'm behind the SIG table.  And if they don't like it, I'm sure a kick to the clems will dissuade any doubters of my intentions.

TSR2s.  I've been toying with writing a proper book (along the lines of the John Baxter stuff or a greatly expanded Padded Cell) for a while, and I have a short article which could be expanded to form a basis.  I know I can get back up for the actual stuff, such as detail photos and drawings, so photographs of the various models would be all I would really need, especially the proposed export versions people are bandying about, but of course anything is welcome for inclusion in Padded Cell, when it goes back into production.  I'm still playing with new page templates at the moment.

Skorpio

Has anyone get a spare (or several) Heritage decal sheet for the TSR2? The one I had was used for an F105K, and I need them for the following projects:

North American A5K Vigilante (evaluation aircraft and that's just been dug out of the loft in anticipation)
TSR2 prototype (the one I'm doing for my cousin)
TSR2 XR220 stores trials

I was to have added XR223, but there's no three on the sheet (apart from the three aircraft on the sheet, you can do XR221 and XR226 by chopping the numbers around) and it's going in sand/stone/white anyway, so it would probably have had the code in black.

XS897 is now varnished to seal the decals in and some of the detail painting is underway.  Hopefully that should be finished by the back of next week so I can get to the Navy one, if Magus remembers the decals.

Alvis

QuoteAlvis, with suggestions like that you're liable have Wooksta turning up on your doorstep with a personal 'hello' for ya!!!!.. :aa  :aa
Well, with UN regulations in effect, Wooksta and I are not allowed in the same time zone. Of course, with his secret lair being secret, he *could* be anywhere....
Alvis :q

Skorpio

The problem is that no one has ever done the Vickers V1000/VC7 in any scale, although with a lot of hacking around, a VC10 might be suitable, at least the fuselage and tailplanes anyway.

Plus, I think by general consensus of most UK members, the name for the TSR2 is either the Phoenix or the Eagle, although I've named teh VG version the Tornado.

Aircav

Mig 31's not small :s
:zz
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

lancer

Yeah you did give me the decals..LOL

Did that info on the Modeldecal Canberra sheet help you any??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

QuoteAs for manning the stand, me and Martin usually manage that, but other people pop in for a chat and a sit down for a while so we can nick off and buy up some nice goodies.

Well you've got me manning the stand this year as well. I've cleared it with our glourious but absent leader. I'm not yet associated with my local IPMS branch yet. The Pizza or Curry idea sounds terrific
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff_B

Just started my third Heritage TSR2 this week, the 2nd is slowely getting fitted out and should be finished by weekend.

The third one is benifitting from building the last two, as this is the basic kit with no brass i followed wooksta advice for the splitter plates. I also got the metal intakes to match the fuselage contiurs as much as possible to minimise filling & sanding. The wing box was built up to minimise the serious gap at thew fwd end and PVA filled in any minor gaps and gave a smoother join without having to get in and sand it down. Just fitted the fwd wing tips next to the intakes to get the correct shape back (is the wing wider than it should be over the wing box - or is the mould getting a bit stretched ?)

Not sure what scheme or kit this one will be , possibly CAF in Germany. Any Canadians got ideas on 70's armament, did you have air to surface missile, what sort of bombs are used etc

Cheers

Thorvic

joesus

The nice thing about 1/144 is that scratchbuilding can be easier. The VC10 fuselage isn't that usable 'cause its cross section is different' I've got an old VC7 (BOAC, 1959) that can be refurbished. Doing one in 1/72 would be a serious project.

lancer

QuoteIf the TSR2 was in RAF Service in the 70's & 80's its possible that we could have fitted Blue Vixen  (as fitted to the Sea Harrier FA2) and allow Skyflash then AMRAAM to be carried, larger missiles such as the Phoenix would need a larger more powerful radar to be effective.

If TSR2 got fitted with Blue Vixen radar, would the nose be the same as on the FRS2s'???, 'cause it'd look kinda silly on the front.

Captain Canada

1-Saw sounds about right
2-Yes
3-Sharp knife

Building a Canadian TSR.2, are we ? Just think how sweet it would look, as a replacement for the  CF-104 in the low level strike/recon roll. How about a tiger striped bird ? Or the NATO camo with beautiful leafy roundels ?

MMMmmmmm....leafy roundels !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Wooksta, thanks for the advice, I'll see what i can do. Already I can see a lot of filler will be needed!

The only brass I might play with will be the ladders and maybe the wheels. Stuff having the cockpits open! Have never heard of Contrail rod but I was planning on using old needles to secure the tail surfaces to the aircraft.

Have noticed that the front fuselage is higher than the rear fuselage and wing by about 2mm which is plainly obvious. Could be in for some interesting putty work here!

Nick :G

Aircav

QuoteWell you've got me manning the stand this year as well. I've cleared it with our glourious but absent leader. I'm not yet associated with my local IPMS branch yet. The Pizza or Curry idea sounds terrific
Same here  :s  :)
:dr  :zz  :dr
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader