Her Majesty's Royal SLUF

Started by AeroplaneDriver, July 25, 2006, 07:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Here she is.  I'm a bit disappointed in the finish, since the Future coat went pear-shaped and had to be stripped and redone, and it never really looked right afterwards.  The pics arent the greatest either, once again, because I was in a hurry.  I'll try to put some better ones up tomorrow.  Oh well, my own fault for rushing, but hey, at least I finished a model!

As the SEPECAT Jaguar M program ran into delays in 1974, the Royal Navy began looking at other options for a carrier-borne light strike aircraft.  After a short evaluation period an order was placed for 28 Vought A-7 Corsairs, 22 single-seaters, and 6 two-seat models..  The RN A-7s were broadly similar to the USN A-7Es, with the same RR Spey engine, but with UK avionics, Martin Baker Mk9 seat, and wiring for UK weapons.  The 20mm Vulcan cannon was retained, as it maintained ammunition commonality with the podded Vulcan cannon entering service on the RN's Phantoms.  Officially the RN Corsairs were designated A-7Ms in the US and Corsair FG.1s in the UK.

The first Royal Navy Corsair FG.1s entered service at RNAS Yeovilton in January 1977.  By the end of that year 700 NAS were deployed on their first operational Corsair cruise aboard the newly refitted HMS Hermes.  Though the Sea Jaguar FRS.1 finally entered service in 1980, the Corsair remained in RN service until 1995.  This gave the Fleet Air Arm of the early 1980s a very capable stable of Phantoms, Buccaneers, Sea Jaguars, Corsairs, and Sea Harriers operating from the carriers Hermes, Illustrious (ex USS Shangri-La), Ark Royal (ex USS Oriskany), and the new STOVL carrier Invincible.

In 1984-85 the Corsair fleet were upgraded to FG.1A standard with a Smith's Industries HUD, new navigation system, and integration of the BAeD Sea Eagle anti-shipping missile.  Though Corsair's were not deployed to the South Atlantic in 1982 to deter an expected Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands, they did see combat in the Persian Gulf during the brief 1988 crisis and again in the 1991 war with Iraq.

This model depicts a newly upgraded Corsair FG.1A during one of the last "close calls" of the Cold War.  In December 1984 the entire Soviet Atlantic fleet suddenly left port and steamed westward across the Atlantic.  In response to this unexpected and  aggressive Soviet move, NATO forces went to high alert.  During this crisis the Sea Eagle missile was rushed to the carrier squadrons , even though final trails of the new missile were still ongoing.

It is now known that this massive mobilization was a Soviet attempt to stop a renegade ballistic missile submarine Captain from attacking the US.  This madman was eventually stopped by a joint US-Soviet operation, the details of which were later revealed in the non-fiction bestseller "The Hunt For Red October" by Dr. Jack Ryan.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

BlackOps

Looks great!  Had to do a double take, for a second I thought that was the Anheuser-Busch logo on the tale  :cheers:

Jeff G.

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

Yeah this one really sucks.
;)
Sheeesh how do you do it? If you're "disappointed" by this one I'd be afraid of one that "exceeds expectations". Your "disappointing" builds are enough to make me consider taking up macrame instead of models! Great stuff, AD!

Hoping your birthday was the stuff of legend,
Brian da Basher

Leigh

Yeah that looks right :wub:

What kit is it?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Archibald

QuoteIt is now known that this massive mobilization was a Soviet attempt to stop a renegade ballistic missile submarine Captain from attacking the US. This madman was eventually stopped by a joint US-Soviet operation, the details of which were later revealed in the non-fiction bestseller "The Hunt For Red October" by Dr. Jack Ryan.

:lol: Great fan of the book, albeit Sci-fi sometimes (the Forger shooting a Tomcat :blink: )
Lovely model! Nice alternate Royal Navy carrier fleet :)
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

MartG

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Gary

Getting back into modeling

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteYeah that looks right :wub:

What kit is it?
It's the AMT/Ertl A-7E.  Not a terrible kit, but the detail is a bit soft.  Kind of like looking at a Fujimi A-7 kit with your glasses off.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

anthonyp

QuoteLooks great!  Had to do a double take, for a second I thought that was the Anheuser-Busch logo on the tale  :cheers:

Jeff G.
I didn't see it until I read this comment!   :lol:

Very nice build, really great backstory!  And like Leigh said, it really does look right!

Congrats on a very nice 3-day birthday build!

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

F-32

Beautiful!

Give that man a cigar.

Radish

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

It looks right. Terrific :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Aircav

Look great in those colours Nick  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ohhhhhh do I like that ???  :wub:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ollie