CF-100 Canuk (The ''CLUNK'')

Started by Gary, July 27, 2006, 07:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I'd love to do a Clunk back before she got the ugly nose.

Getting back into modeling

kitnut617

Hi Gary,

Did the Mk.1 to Mk.3 go into service? Were they converted to Mk.4 or were the Mk.4's new builds.

In my book about the Arrow, there's a couple a pictures and diagrams showing swept winged CF-100's which I might like to try an do.

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

upnorth

Best bet is to get in touch with Arrow Graphics, if thy're still in business.

Several years ago they had in their catalog, resin conversion sets in 1/72 to convert the Hobbycraft kits into a MK.1, 2 or 3 (each mark was a separate kit). The conversion kits were not Arrow Graphics' own product, but I don't recall whose it was.

Arrow Graphics doesn't seem to have a web page, but according to Flightdecs.ca, their decals for early mark Clunks are still out there to be had.

Good luck
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

The Rat

QuoteWhat an ugly plane  :P
She weren't pretty, but for a good while she was just about the most capable of the first generation 'all-weather' fighters. It could dance the skies on laughter silvered wings when every other aircraft was ground-bound.  B)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

QuoteIn my book about the Arrow, there's a couple a pictures and diagrams showing swept winged CF-100's which I might like to try an do.
About five years ago, I had cut out conceptual swept wings and tail planes to test-fit on my HC 1:72 CF-100, thinking I was sooooooo clever and original.

Then I saw a pic of the "real" static prototype...durn!

As for "ugly" well, that's all in the eye of the beholder.  To me, there is something very dependable, competent and comforting about that bird from every angle.   ;)

It's a Canadian thing.  This is my land and that was my fighter...

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Gary

I have ta say, I fell in love with the Clunk when I was contracted to do a model for an ex-pilot. He had his back broken in Germany during an ejection from a 100 and his wife wanted the model made for his 60th birthday. I had to get a lot right, but the H-craft kit was pretty darned good.

The worst part of the build, I had to paint his helmet on the pilot figure. The helmet on the figure was wrong, and had to be reshaped, then I had to mask and paint a 1 inch scaled down checker pattern. What a task.

When it was given to him, he cried like a baby. The injury in the ejection forced him out of the Airforce and he went into drafting equipment sales. But all over his office, it was a shrine to the Clunk and the old proud days of the RCAF. Great guy.

Captain Canada

Yes, Arrow Graphics are still alive and well, and have a huge collection of RCN, RCAF, and CAF decals. Howards catalogue is definatley worth the phone call.

He also sells the Keegam Aviation resin conversion set. It's pretty basic, but has the canopy, nose, wintips and tail bumper, as well as the different engine fronts. They are 10 bucks or somat. I could mail you one of mine in the meantime, if you're in desperate need.......

This also brings up the point about Jay making a CF-100 set. Sure, the is the obscureco set, which I will gladly buy a few. But after seeing Jays quality, I would absolutely love it if he'd make one ! Maybe some details like the gun belly ? Or a radar nose ?

Long live the mighty Clunker !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

One of these days I'll get started on my CR-100, a reconnaissance version based on the U-2. The back story is written, and the old Aurora CF-100 awaits in the attic...  :ph34r:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

John Howling Mouse

QuoteOne of these days I'll get started on my CR-100, a reconnaissance version based on the U-2. The back story is written, and the old Aurora CF-100 awaits in the attic...  :ph34r:
I remember, back in Grade 5, a friend of mine had built the Aurora Arrow and told me how it was this phenomenal Canadian-built plane etc. etc.

I didn't believe him at the time.  Canada building a premiere military aircraft?

Is the HC kit a reboxing of the Aurora kit?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

QuoteIs the HC kit a reboxing of the Aurora kit?
Whole different piece of styrene. I believe that Aurora Arrow in an unopened box is the most valuable Canadian kit to collectors. I made one of those too, and it also sits patiently waiting to be 'refurbished'.  ;)  

jcf

A couple of different options, one simple, one a little more involved and another really involved.
;) ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

Alvis 3.1

I've got a JumpClunk at the 90% stage, and it's been there since the early 90s! *Sigh*

I always drooled over the 4 engined ones too, but never got around to starting one...

Alvis 3.1

Archibald

another fabulous one was the CF-100 mk8 (proposed after the Arrow disaster, in June 1959). Powerful radars and missiles such as Bendix eagle.
any drawings of this beast?
What the hell what the CF-100 mk7 ?  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Hobbes

Gary

The sound the front landing gear makes when it gets locked into position, on the mighty Avro CF 100.