CF-100 Canuk (The ''CLUNK'')

Started by Gary, July 27, 2006, 07:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: rallymodeller on January 21, 2009, 07:38:33 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on January 21, 2009, 05:14:26 PM
I had a thought while browsing Airliners.net - what about crossing a Canuck with a Buccaneer? They have a similar layout, and the Bucc's wing and tail could give the Clunk an interesting new look.

Okay, Pyro, you;re a friggin' genius!

At first, I substituted the wings and tail unit (do bear in mind that these are roughs only, but in scale):

Then I thought: why not crunch the Speys on as well?

Oh, I am SO loving this one! I've got an old Matchbox S.2B around here -- it has separate engine nacelles. I think I'll bash it with one of my Clunks (they need a bit more surgery) and see what happens!

Or it could be called a 'Canuckcaneer' 8^)

Have you considered adding the radome from the Buccaneer to the Canuck?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

pyro-manic

"Clunkaneer", I thought. ;D

Glad you like it. :cheers:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Photos of the swept winged CF-100 mockup in the Arrowhead book show that the wing root was moved forward some while the wing tips were behind where the straight wing was.  I think they were trying to use as much of the original fuselage without a major redesign and this arrangement didn't effect the cg much.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

I just found my Arrowhead book and I got it wrong, the full scale mock-up is of the C103/TR9, but the earlier C100S/TR9 is as I described but with the engine nacelles being shorter than the CF-100. but the fin is almost like how you have it rallymodeller.  The nose is more pointed and shorter too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rallymodeller

Provided for your enjoyment, a 1956 (I estimate) Avro promotional film on the CF-100, presented in three parts:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Part 2 has some interesting footage of the rockets and, a couple of minutes in, of the tested but unused 48-shot belly rocket pack. The film of the belly pack is slowed down; the actual time from initiation of pack lowering to raising the pack was something like 0.5 seconds.  Also, watch for the footage of ground-testing of the gun pack; lotsa shell casings and links being ejected!  :mellow:
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

MAD

Some great footage rallymodeller!
Great find

Poor old Canuk, its capability and ruggedness was overlooked by many due to the obsession of supersonic speed.

The Rat

Got that DVD. Something I can't understand about it is that they say it is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced. I think if it's more the 50 years old the copyright would have lapsed, and it should be in the public domain.

We need a lawyer in here.  :huh:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

jcf

Quote from: The Rat on January 29, 2009, 05:49:00 AM
Got that DVD. Something I can't understand about it is that they say it is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced. I think if it's more the 50 years old the copyright would have lapsed, and it should be in the public domain.

We need a lawyer in here.  :huh:

The DVD is copyrighted in that the producers had to take the time and effort to transfer the film
and turn it into a marketable product with all that entails. The copyright protects their investment of
time and money.

The base film may indeed be in the public domain, the DVD version is not.

Jon

GTX

Any pics of proposed swept wing variants?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Daryl J.

Are the Hobbycraft kits still in production?

TIA,
Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 04, 2010, 02:54:02 PM
Are the Hobbycraft kits still in production?

TIA,
Daryl J.

Don't know if they are currently, however, I've see them recently in various hobby shops (new and used) as they aren't rare.

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 04, 2010, 03:16:14 PMDon't know if they are currently, however, I've see them recently in various hobby shops (new and used) as they aren't rare.

They are quite rare here in Toronto, maybe patriotic Clunk fans keep snapping them up. As far as I know they're still produced. I tried their web site but it sucks big time, can't find out anything.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Daryl J.

What is the difference between the Mk.IV and Mk.V kits in 1/72?

The Rat

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 04, 2010, 05:47:43 PM
What is the difference between the Mk.IV and Mk.V kits in 1/72?

A good rundown on the various marks can be found here.