CF-100 Canuk (The ''CLUNK'')

Started by Gary, July 27, 2006, 07:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killnoizer

Quote from: jcf on March 04, 2023, 02:26:10 PMThere were various proposals for missile equipped CF-100 interceptors, including with Genies.

The Mk.8 was the most elaborate, the drawing states it was to use the big Bendix Eagle, but
the missiles shown look like giant Sparrows. The pic of a Mk.V with four Sparrow Shows the
size discrepancy. The Eagle drawing shows what it looked like as of September 1959 and it's
completely different from what's shown on the Mk.8 drawing. The mock-up photo shows the
size.

I suppose one could scale-o-rama a Sparrow missile to somewhat match the Mk.8 drawing.
In 1/72nd an AIM-7 is 2" long, in 1/48th it's 3" long and in 1/32 it's 4.5" long. Of course it
would then bring up the issue of what name to bestow upon the monster Sparrow.
:wacko:

You cannot view this attachment.

What plane is it in background, please ?
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

AeroplaneDriver

Looks to be a Grumman F-11 Tiger. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2023, 02:40:46 PMThere's an easy way out of this problem, fit longer wings!  ;)  ;D
Evidently one of the original increased span high-altitude Mk.6 concepts called for a new wing,
with changes in airfoil etc., rather than just a stretch of the original wing. It was considered to
be too expensive so they added the planks instead. A 61' span Clunk with wingtip mounted
Orpheus boosters and a swept horizontal stabilizer was also proposed.
;D

You cannot view this attachment.

Weaver

Random ideas for increased performance/ceiling:

1. Afterburning Avons, with outward-angled nozzles to avoid cooking the rear fuselage (similar schemes were proposed for the Buccaneer).

2. Redesigned rear fuselage with a kerosene/HTP or kerosene/LOX rocket motor in the tail cone or with a retractable nozzle(s) under the tail (as per the SAAF Buccaneers or the high-altitude Canberra).

Quote from: jcf on March 04, 2023, 02:26:10 PMI suppose one could scale-o-rama a Sparrow missile to somewhat match the Mk.8 drawing.
In 1/72nd an AIM-7 is 2" long, in 1/48th it's 3" long and in 1/32 it's 4.5" long. Of course it
would then bring up the issue of what name to bestow upon the monster Sparrow.
:wacko:

AIM-8 Turkey?  ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Devilfish

Bill Waterton, Gloster's chief test pilot, was very complimentary about the CF-100, saying it was everything the Meteor should have been.

Lord_Voyager

There was a swept wing version of the cf-100 (The cf-103) that was mocked up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-103

That, with the new Orenda engines would have been a game changer.

jcf

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on March 22, 2023, 06:31:08 AMThere was a swept wing version of the cf-100 (The cf-103) that was mocked up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-103

That, with the new Orenda engines would have been a game changer.
It was abandoned because wind-tunnel testing showed it wasn't going to give any sort of advantage. All CF-100s had Orenda engines. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 22, 2023, 03:10:42 AM1. Afterburning Avons, with outward-angled nozzles to avoid cooking the rear fuselage (similar schemes were proposed for the Buccaneer).

2. Redesigned rear fuselage with a kerosene/HTP or kerosene/LOX rocket motor in the tail cone or with a retractable nozzle(s) under the tail (as per the SAAF Buccaneers or the high-altitude Canberra).

Both of the above?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit