CF-100 Canuk (The ''CLUNK'')

Started by Gary, July 27, 2006, 07:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

I love this bird! Looks much better than the fatty F-89!

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Archibald on January 04, 2009, 06:25:38 AM
I love this bird! Looks much better than the fatty F-89!

And it's ten times higher off the ground too!

How did a Scorpion ever manage to rotate on take-off without banging the exhausts on the ground?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Aw, quit making excuses.....you guys just like it better 'cause it's CDN !

Love the USAF bird, Jeremy. There's more than a few of us who have thought of building that exact same one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 04, 2009, 02:12:37 PMAnd it's ten times higher off the ground too!

How did a Scorpion ever manage to rotate on take-off without banging the exhausts on the ground?

Very long runways.  ;^)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on January 04, 2009, 04:56:20 PM
Very long runways.  ;^)

Ah yes, the 'Wait for the curvature of the Earth to assist' theory of flying?  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Sauragnmon

You know, with those big arsed engine pods on the sides of the aircraft, I am finding myself wondering - Speys in a Clunk?  Rebuild the engine pods to hold a nice powerful pair of turbofans, I wonder what kind of thrust/weight you could get on the bird.  You might want to sweep the wings a little, maybe give them a bit wider root to tip ratio, give it a nice pointed nose, a new radar hookup - APG-69? would that fit in?  Bulk out the nose and give it an AWG-9 and Phoenixes?  The pylon loading that was mentioned at 1000lb would be roughly capable of hanging a few, for the reach-out-and-smack-the-bomber aspect.

I have to admit - with tip tanks and the gray/green over white, with black leading edges, she looks pretty damn nice.  The pattern around the engines on the other pic is real nice too.  In the picture over the snow, it just looks... majestic almost.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

The Rat

One that I've had plans on doing for years is a U2 equivalent, the back story is written up but the hardware is still in the planning stage. Another would be Korean war, the possible continuation of that conflict being the reason that C.D. Howe* gave when he told Avro Canada to stop fussing with the C-102 Jetliner and build Clunks.

*A pox be upon him. >:(
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Quote from: apophenia on January 05, 2009, 05:11:55 PM
I couldn't remember where I'd pinched your CF-100 U-2 idea came from, Rattie. I've knicked the wings for my CU-100 UAV Clunk concept. (Maybe you could regard this as inspirational material rather than just shame-faced thievery??)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,19568.45.html

Cool UCAV! I must have missed that post while I was drunk cleaning up after New Years. Don't worry about it, a UCAV isn't the same as a U2, and besides, as I always say in these situations there are two ways to look at it; 'Great minds think alike' or 'fools never differ'.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

Great ideas!  While failing to get to sleep last night,   I'd thought Speys, small nose, TR-1 like pods mid way down hyperextended wings for a Canadiaconnaissance machine.    Or grafting on a nose from the F-14 and slinging 4 Phoenixes underneath but have no way to measure up the Tomcat nose cone to a clunk.   It would be far too big yes?
:drink:,
Daryl J.

Sauragnmon

I'm not sure about Cat nose to Clunk, I did check Cat nose to Arrow and found the gap wasn't as big as one might think, I'll take That into account when I build another concept in my head later.

Speys were the first thought for a Turbofan in my head, because it's a Royce engine and I don't quite remember where I got the whole concept from, probably tied somewhere in my head to the thought of a Phantom with J75's and Arrow Wings but juggled around in places.  Ignore me.

Clunk U-2 concept - interesting - maybe that's where they got the design from?  Not sure which came first, but you have to admit, it IS a little stunning just How similar they are.

Perhaps for nose radar, the AN/APG-69 from the F-18?  I don't know how much a Bug's nose would measure up on a Clunk though.  Skip the Phoenix, settle for Sparrows, call it good?
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

jcf

Quote from: Sauragnmon on January 05, 2009, 07:51:02 PM

Clunk U-2 concept - interesting - maybe that's where they got the design from?  Not sure which came first, but you have to admit, it IS a little stunning just How similar they are.

The U-2 started out as a long winged F-104, and there is no similarity between the CF-100 and the U-2 aside from both being turbo-jet powered aircraft.

rallymodeller

I've posted a bunch more Clunk profiles over at my Profiles thread. One worth reposting here is one discussed recently, the CF-100 Mk.X:

There were two proposals for an Orpheus-boosted Canuck; one had the normal 52' wingspan and tip jets with no other mods, and the other had a new 61' wingspan and a swept horizontal tail. Both versions were to be armed with the Sparrow 2 which had been abandoned by the USN by then but was still being worked on by CEPE.

I'm also working on a profile of the STOVL proposal.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

pyro-manic

I had a thought while browsing Airliners.net - what about crossing a Canuck with a Buccaneer? They have a similar layout, and the Bucc's wing and tail could give the Clunk an interesting new look.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rallymodeller

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 21, 2009, 05:14:26 PM
I had a thought while browsing Airliners.net - what about crossing a Canuck with a Buccaneer? They have a similar layout, and the Bucc's wing and tail could give the Clunk an interesting new look.

Okay, Pyro, you;re a friggin' genius!

At first, I substituted the wings and tail unit (do bear in mind that these are roughs only, but in scale):

Then I thought: why not crunch the Speys on as well?

Oh, I am SO loving this one! I've got an old Matchbox S.2B around here -- it has separate engine nacelles. I think I'll bash it with one of my Clunks (they need a bit more surgery) and see what happens!

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Daryl J.

A Buccanuk!   I love it!!!!   (at risk of sounding like a gushing young lady).     This is seriously to-scale?

Daryl J., who has a couple Buccaneers left unbuilt from the HS Bucc-Off of 1999 (or Y2K)