Mustang: F-51, A-36, F-82, Cavalier, and Piper PA-48 Enforcer

Started by nev, January 27, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famvburg

I think elsewhere in the forum someone made a single P-82. It's in SEA camo, IIRC. As for your project, why not mount the radiators under the wings, aft of the nacelles, by relocating the stock scoops?

Quote from: elmayerle on September 14, 2009, 04:47:13 AM
I've been shceming for some time now on a "Twin Mustang" similar in concept to the "Twin P-40" that Curtiss mocked up, but a more refined design.  Singe fuselage (a blend of P-51B/C and F-82 fuselages, F-82 wing, and two engine nacelles trimmed from F-82 front ends.  The only thing I've really not worked out is where/how to place the radiators adn oil coolers so as to get the same results the basic Mustang did.  Of course, the fuselage would have a multi-gun n.ose inaddition to wing guns and hardpoints.

sequoiaranger

>I think elsewhere in the forum someone made a single P-82.<

Yes. I did, if not others, but I added a "V-16" and 5-bladed prop, among other things:

>I've been shceming for some time now on a "Twin Mustang" similar in concept to the "Twin P-40" that Curtiss mocked up, but a more refined design.  Singe fuselage (a blend of P-51B/C and F-82 fuselages, F-82 wing, and two engine nacelles trimmed from F-82 front ends.  The only thing I've really not worked out is where/how to place the radiators adn oil coolers so as to get the same results the basic Mustang did.  Of course, the fuselage would have a multi-gun n.ose inaddition to wing guns and hardpoints.<

You might try putting the radiator scoop directly under the engine nacelle, looking kind of like a tropicalized Spitfire, or a B-50 (I know, a radial, but it also had a big scoop directly under the engine), or an extra-large scoop (maybe from a 1/48 Mustang?) directly under the wing/fuselage that would serve both engines.

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 14, 2009, 09:15:27 AM

>I've been shceming for some time now on a "Twin Mustang" similar in concept to the "Twin P-40" that Curtiss mocked up, but a more refined design.  Singe fuselage (a blend of P-51B/C and F-82 fuselages, F-82 wing, and two engine nacelles trimmed from F-82 front ends.  The only thing I've really not worked out is where/how to place the radiators adn oil coolers so as to get the same results the basic Mustang did.  

Hi Craig, the Meredith Effect is most dependent on the design of the radiator ducting, less so on its placement on the airframe.

My inclination for your twin would be to use individual rads for each engine placed behind the engines with NACA scoops for air intake
and a variable exhaust nozzle, perhaps something similar in appearance to the turbo-exhaust of the Republic Rainbow.

Radish

Chaps,

Mustangs served with the USAF (F-51D, RF-51D and F-82 Twin Mustang), the RAAF (F-51D), SAAF (F-51D) and ROKAF(F-51D).
What if others had used it to:

North Korea?
Chinese?
Scottish Union AF??
RAF??
Irish AC??
West Germany??
Netherlands??

To begin with, here's a couple.
First a REAL one in Korean markings from the South.
Its Dean Hess's aircraft, using the Tamiya F-51D kit, AeroMaster decals, and details for it using reference photographs in Black/White and colour.

Next is a North Korean F-51D using the P-51D kit, details from "Korean War Mustangs" by ??....forgotten who by!!
Decals from AeroMaster MiG-15 sheet.

Both models in 1/48th.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

And an RF-51D, which I called "The Polka Dot Princess" on its base.
REAL, I know, but I plan some more Korean War examples that'll just confuse!! :drink: :drink:

famvburg

China DID use some. Or at least there are pics of P-51Ds with their national insignia & they claim to have used them at least.

Quote from: Radish on September 29, 2009, 12:41:59 AM
Chaps,

Mustangs served with the USAF (F-51D, RF-51D and F-82 Twin Mustang), the RAAF (F-51D), SAAF (F-51D) and ROKAF(F-51D).
What if others had used it to:

North Korea?
Chinese?
Scottish Union AF??
RAF??
Irish AC??
West Germany??
Netherlands??

To begin with, here's a couple.
First a REAL one in Korean markings from the South.
Its Dean Hess's aircraft, using the Tamiya F-51D kit, AeroMaster decals, and details for it using reference photographs in Black/White and colour.

Next is a North Korean F-51D using the P-51D kit, details from "Korean War Mustangs" by ??....forgotten who by!!
Decals from AeroMaster MiG-15 sheet.

Both models in 1/48th.

Radish

I've built two Chinese ones...a Nationalist wartime one, and a Communist one too. I'll try and locate photos. :party:

sagallacci

Total wiffery versions of the concept, being built as models now, will have scale drawings and photos shortly.
First one is a "Mustang VII", based on the Mustang IV, with the engine nearly centered over the wing and the cockpit area with unmodified  canopy reset to the extreme nose. Much enlarged fin and rudder. No armament fitted to this test of concept machine.
Second one is a high altitude bomber destroyer, using P-51A elements (P-51B kit parts) for an aft of center Allison with exhaust driven turbo-supercharger, cockpit moved forward only a bit, and an all-new nose with an oversize spinner, the middle fitted with a 37mm cannon and four .50 BMGs and no wing armament, extra wing fuel tankage instead.
All very silly in 1/48 builds.

sagallacci

sagallacci

And another angle. I'm thinking of doing a Mustang VIII next, the operational version, with extended fuselage, a Griffon engine and contraprops. And maybe a Sea-stang navalized version.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Very nice Steve.
Will you be bringing it to the IPMS meeting on Saturday?
See ya then.

Jon

sagallacci

Not only will I have it at the meeting, I may have some resin upper-forward fuselages cast up, not only for my further madness, but for anyone else that wants to play.

Just call me Ray

Well since we're talking midengine, I did this for a friend for Wesworld, as you might tell it's pretty heavily inspired by the mid-engine P-51 along with some of the stuff that went on in the Hawker Tempest thread.

I guess I should put it in the profile forum, maybe.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

van883

Quote from: slackjack on February 22, 2010, 01:30:56 PM
Wow, this whole competition looks interesting! OV-10X, Piper Enforcer???? See the possibilities:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/09/photo-boeing-pitches-ov-10x-br.html

Just reading the comments about the Bronco, I'm sure the scimitar bladed props would help with the cabin acoustics, and I'm sure some of the other ideas like the ventral turret and other such stuff would make for a really interesting whiffer. Camo it up in the digital scheme, and you could have one fascinating piece!

I have an OV-10 in 1/72 from Airfix, IIRC, but I recall Hasegawa's kit builds up nicer - might need to kitbash the Airfix nose onto the Hasegawa kit...

Why on earth the Piper Enforcer would be a good idea now when it wasn't 30 years ago baffles me! Terrible forward view being one of the issues I recall.
The Bronco is another matter though...

Van

***edit to added quoted comment to provide continuity for topic split and merge with P-51 Mustang/PA-48 Enforcer discussion topic***