Mustang: F-51, A-36, F-82, Cavalier, and Piper PA-48 Enforcer

Started by nev, January 27, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

Quote from: pyro-manic on June 14, 2012, 12:09:08 PM
Radials? In that case you can remove the big radiator fairing underneath. Or close the inlet and exhaust and fill it with a fuel tank?
Nope, not radials (although I did use a "Radial Tempest" nose but shrunk it down), Turboprop with Symmetrical exhaust. I hate, HATE asymmetrical stuff. another reason why I hate turboprops on the Mustangs in Real Life.

*Edit* It looks like I have to shrink it down some more, because after looking at a Mustang II it had a smaller nose than the one I have portrayed. *Grumbles*
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

pyro-manic

A turboprop doesn't need a radiator either, so my previous comment still applies. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

zemmix

Hello, first time poster here.

I wanted to make a DB601 powered Mustang so I planned this out.  Any critiques?

I have all the parts I need to make it in 1/72 scale using Hasegawa kits (or a Tamiya Mustang since I have a few).  Just need the time and courage to do so.  Would be fun to enter it in a Mustang group build somewhere just to make the rivet counters cry.

Also where do you guys get your line drawings from?  I had to dig this Mustang up on google.  Any good websites?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zemmix on June 18, 2012, 08:39:29 AM
Hello, first time poster here.

I wanted to make a DB601 powered Mustang so I planned this out.  Any critiques?

I have all the parts I need to make it in 1/72 scale using Hasegawa kits (or a Tamiya Mustang since I have a few).  Just need the time and courage to do so.  Would be

Critiques? Hell no, it looks GREAT! You don't need courage, just DO IT and give those JMNs' a headache.

Excellent first posting Zemmix.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

The droopy nose of the DB601 powered Mustang isn't quite to my taste. Maybe the big P-51 canopy isn't quite right with it, in my eyes? I'd try to see if I could raise the engine and prop a little. No guarantee that it would be an improvement  :-\

There's lots of pretty big drawings in .zip files at this Russian site:
http://www.airwar.ru/index.html

Maybe try a googleated version if your Russian is as nonexistent as mine...
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fi&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.airwar.ru%2F

scooter

Quote from: perttime on June 18, 2012, 12:26:19 PM
The droopy nose of the DB601 powered Mustang isn't quite to my taste. Maybe the big P-51 canopy isn't quite right with it, in my eyes? I'd try to see if I could raise the engine and prop a little. No guarantee that it would be an improvement  :-\

Although maybe a droopy nose DB601 on a B/C variant might look good
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

raafif

promising, zemmix -- that looks more like the Japanese version off the Ki-61 tho.

Nose should be just slightly longer for a DB installation, with less curve to the top cowling - maybe raise the engine in the bearers a bit giving the bottom line more curve ?

Either a 109-E or -F shaped spinner ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

zemmix

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 18, 2012, 10:45:06 AM
Critiques? Hell no, it looks GREAT! You don't need courage, just DO IT and give those JMNs' a headache.

Excellent first posting Zemmix.  :thumbsup:

Thanks!

There's lots of pretty big drawings in .zip files at this Russian site:
http://www.airwar.ru/index.html

These are the type I'm looking for!  Thanks!  Big black and white line drawings.

The droopy nose of the DB601 powered Mustang isn't quite to my taste. Maybe the big P-51 canopy isn't quite right with it, in my eyes? I'd try to see if I could raise the engine and prop a little. No guarantee that it would be an improvement  :-\

Yeah the bubbly -D canopy didn't really sit well with me either.  That link you gave me has a Mustang in it with the Dallas canopy.  I'm gonna try and make another with the Dallas canopy to see if it's an improvement.

Quote from: scooter on June 18, 2012, 12:48:28 PM
Although maybe a droopy nose DB601 on a B/C variant might look good

That link perttime gave me has a -B line drawing in it so I'm gonna make one of those as well.  Also have a few -B Hasegawa Mustangs in the stash so I may end up making two if I like it and succeed with the -D.

Quote from: raafif on June 18, 2012, 02:44:25 PM
promising, zemmix -- that looks more like the Japanese version off the Ki-61 tho.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!  The nose was stolen off of a Ki-61-I line drawing I found through google.  So not a German DB601 but a license built Japanese version.  Yeah they had quality issues towards the end of the war but I figure it's what-if.  Maybe Japan got their hands on a crashed -D and fixed it with the nose off a Ki-61 and installed a DB605 that was sent from Germany for evaluation.  Who knows.

But imo the Ki-61 matched the lines of the P-51 better than any German craft. Doesn't hurt that I also live in Japan and have quite a few Ki-61 kits (3 Hasegawa, a Dragon and several Fine Molds).  I also have a set of Tachikawa decals so when I get to painting it this mustang will wear the red sun and the Tachikawa bird on the tail.

Quote from: raafif on June 18, 2012, 02:44:25 PM
Nose should be just slightly longer for a DB installation, with less curve to the top cowling - maybe raise the engine in the bearers a bit giving the bottom line more curve ?

Either a 109-E or -F shaped spinner ?

The nose may be off dimension wise.  I just went by the Ki-61 drawing I found online.  I'll have to see once I start cutting plastic.

zemmix

Dallas canopy variant.

Working on the -B now but there's a typhoon blowing through and a tornado warning for my area as well as the lights flickering so I may not be back tonight. 

zemmix

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng