Mustang: F-51, A-36, F-82, Cavalier, and Piper PA-48 Enforcer

Started by nev, January 27, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: philp on May 27, 2008, 09:33:38 PM
Zac,
Nice article on doing this in 72nd scale.  Should be able to use the info for 48th.
http://hsfeatures.com/features04/enforcerpd_1.htm

and depending on how good your German is (or German to English translator), here is a write up on converting the exact same kit you have.
http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-militaer-modern/3388-piper-pa-48-enforcer.html

Heritage Aviation has just released a 1/48 conversion to do this:
http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/cavalier-turbo-mustang-111-29-p.asp
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

elmayerle

Quote from: famvburg on November 14, 2008, 09:06:53 AM

I don't remember where I got this, but it's supposed to be a real proposal for a Reno air racer by John Crocker, IIRC.

Hmm, definitely interesting looking and he drops that one-piece wing a fair distance.  I wonder how something similar with an R4360 and the aft fuselage of an F-82 would look?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Just call me Ray

Quote from: elmayerle on November 15, 2008, 09:45:23 PM
I wonder how something similar with an R4360 and the aft fuselage of an F-82 would look?

Well here are some interpretations
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

GTX

Some of those are starting to look a bit like the Boeing XF8B:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Just call me Ray

Quote from: GTX on November 16, 2008, 11:38:52 AM
Some of those are starting to look a bit like the Boeing XF8B

Not an accident. In fact I was somewhat tempted to say that it would probably end up looking like an XF8B (or an XP-72, essentially a P-47 with a Wasp Major). Both aircraft were used as templates when I redid the F-82.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

kitnut617

Considering that the Boeing XF8B is twice the size of a Mustang, I think the engines shown in the profile are a bit underscale to the Mustang fuselage.  I would think you would need to compare the Mustang to a radial engined Fw.190 to get something to look like the profiles, these aircraft being close to the same size.  I can't remember where I read this, but wasn't the BMW engine a licenced copy of a smaller American radial.

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 16, 2008, 11:53:26 AM
Considering that the Boeing XF8B is twice the size of a Mustang, I think the engines shown in the profile are a bit underscale to the Mustang fuselage.  I would think you would need to compare the Mustang to a radial engined Fw.190 to get something to look like the profiles, these aircraft being close to the same size.  I can't remember where I read this, but wasn't the BMW engine a licenced copy of a smaller American radial.

BMW license built the 9-cylinder P&W Hornet A, and a modified 'metric' Hornet as the BMW 132, the BMW 801 was a home grown 14-cylinder twin row engine.

http://www.enginehistory.org/German/BMW/BMW801.pdf

Jon

jcf

Merlin (two-speed supercharger)
Length: 71"
Width: 29.8"
Height: 43.0"
Weight: 1,450 lbs.

R-4360-4W (Single-stage, variable speed, water injection as used on Martin AM-1)*
Diameter: 52.5"
Length: 96.75"
Weight: 3,413 lbs.

*The Goodyear F2G-1 used a similar engine, the R-4360-10 used in the Boeing XF8B-1 was 130.75" long.
Jon

GTX

A real world oddity that falls right into the "what an obvious idea" category - a single F-82B was converted into a photo-recon RF-82B in the late '40s:

In flight trials:

Pod in construction:

With an without pics:

Might add it to the list of "To be built" ideas and do a fully operational one.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Looking at the shape of that camera pod from below I can not help but notice how similar in shape it is to the center section of the P-38 Lightning.  What if you used those parts from a smaller scale or same scale P-38 as your pod?  There are several P-38 kits available that have the camera section as a build option so it might make it much faster to replicate by taking this approach. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

famvburg

Not sure where you got your info, but it's not quite twice the size of a Mustang. Maybe 50% bigger, but nowhere near 200%. 37' span compared to 54' & 32' length compared to 43'.

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 16, 2008, 11:53:26 AM

kitnut617

Quote from: famvburg on December 24, 2008, 01:53:21 PM

Not sure where you got your info, but it's not quite twice the size of a Mustang. Maybe 50% bigger, but nowhere near 200%. 37' span compared to 54' & 32' length compared to 43'.

I've compared my models is where I got the info and twice as big only makes it 100% bigger  :huh:

dy031101

Some recent rumours about the possible revival of the PA-48 in response to a US requirement for a light attack fighter has gotten me wondering- rather than looking for Mustang airframes in storage for conversion, would it have been more expedient to find a company that makes two-seat, full-size replica of the Mustang and then to base the new PA-48 on the replica?

That is, if there is a company that builds such replicas- all replicas that I've actually heard of have been sub-scaled ones......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

famvburg

Without trying to give a math lesson, I think if you multiply a number by 200%, it is the same thing as multiplying by the number '2', as in 'twice the size'. Multiplying a number by 100% gets you nowhere. 50% bigger would actually be 150% bigger than original.

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 24, 2008, 02:20:55 PM
Quote from: famvburg on December 24, 2008, 01:53:21 PM

I've compared my models is where I got the info and twice as big only makes it 100% bigger  :huh:

famvburg

IIRC, the PA-48 had very little in common with the P-51D's structure. I believe dimension-wise, it was about 10% larger. I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

Quote from: dy031101 on August 09, 2009, 11:39:11 AM
Some recent rumours about the possible revival of the PA-48 in response to a US requirement for a light attack fighter has gotten me wondering- rather than looking for Mustang airframes in storage for conversion, would it have been more expedient to find a company that makes two-seat, full-size replica of the Mustang and then to base the new PA-48 on the replica?

That is, if there is a company that builds such replicas- all replicas that I've actually heard of have been sub-scaled ones......