Mustang: F-51, A-36, F-82, Cavalier, and Piper PA-48 Enforcer

Started by nev, January 27, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Quote from: sequoiaranger on July 09, 2010, 10:21:46 AM
>A single float Mustang, now that could look stunning <

Yes. Think of the Kawanishi "Rex" floatplane fighter for inspiration.

Would that belly intake have been a liability?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Daryl J.

I kinda like the cloth wing early Merlin variants personally, y'know two blade prop, fixed gear and all..........    :blink: :blink: :blink:

:cheers: (1st flush darjeeling tea)
Daryl J.

GTX

Quote from: Daryl J. on July 11, 2010, 03:47:56 PM
I kinda like the cloth wing early Merlin variants personally, y'know two blade prop, fixed gear and all..........    :blink: :blink: :blink:

:cheers: (1st flush darjeeling tea)
Daryl J.

Were they the ones with guns in the trouser legs?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Logan Hartke

GTX

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on February 01, 2011, 01:45:02 PM
Some useful info on Piper Enforcer:
Regards,

Greg

interestingly, the cutaway shows the exhaust on the port side, the 3-View on the starboard side.  The 1/72 conversion I have is on the starboard side
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

famvburg

That's 'cause they're 2 different airplanes. The 3 view is the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III, which was a P-51 with a RR Dart installed. The cut-away is the Piper Enforcer, fitted with a Lycoming T-55. Also, the Enforcer had less than 10%, IIRC, commonality with the P-51 airframe. Piper's original prototype was, however, the Turbo Mustang III, fitted with the Lycoming. Simply, the drawings are of 2 different aircraft.

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 02, 2011, 06:58:24 AM
Quote from: GTX on February 01, 2011, 01:45:02 PM
Some useful info on Piper Enforcer:
Regards,

Greg

interestingly, the cutaway shows the exhaust on the port side, the 3-View on the starboard side.  The 1/72 conversion I have is on the starboard side

The Big Gimper

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

kitnut617

Some pics of the two FTB conversions I built.  I found that the forward fuselage was about 8mm too short although the 3-View that comes in the conversion kit is nearly spot on.  I was able to confirm this because I wrote to the author of the book 'Rolls Royce and the Mustang' where there is a whole chapter dedicated to the FTB.  He told me that the 1/10 wind tunnel model still existed and knew where it was.  I asked him if he could do a couple of dimensional checks for me which he kindly did.  He also told me that if the aircraft had flown it would have had a Tempest tail fitted because RAE had determined that the fin area was too small.  Reason why I built the second model with a Tempest tail which was put together from info provided by the book's author.

famvburg

Did you use the Tempest or Mustang's horizontal tail surfaces? I can't tell from the pics.

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 02, 2011, 12:35:08 PM
Some pics of the two FTB conversions I built.  I found that the forward fuselage was about 8mm too short although the 3-View that comes in the conversion kit is nearly spot on.  I was able to confirm this because I wrote to the author of the book 'Rolls Royce and the Mustang' where there is a whole chapter dedicated to the FTB.  He told me that the 1/10 wind tunnel model still existed and knew where it was.  I asked him if he could do a couple of dimensional checks for me which he kindly did.  He also told me that if the aircraft had flown it would have had a Tempest tail fitted because RAE had determined that the fin area was too small.  Reason why I built the second model with a Tempest tail which was put together from info provided by the book's author.

The Big Gimper

Nice builds. With the Tempest tail and the new exhaust (is that how it would has be built?) they look like different designs. Where is the 8mm missing? I have not started my FTB so maybe I could shim it in.

Lots of stuff

kitnut617

Rolls Royce was issued a whole Tempest tail assembly to do the mod' but the project was cancelled right at the end of the war.  The rudder hinge line would have been in the same position apparently.  The first model was the RR submitted 'Private Venture Fighter' and the second one with the Tempest tail was to be a dedicated 'Flying Test Bed'.  I depicted it being powered by the RR Crecy two-stoke engine that was predicted to put out about 5000 hp and using an exhaust turbine.  This was slaved to the crankshaft.

kitnut617

Quote from: The Big Gimper on February 02, 2011, 12:48:21 PM
Nice builds. With the Tempest tail and the new exhaust (is that how it would has be built?) they look like different designs. Where is the 8mm missing? I have not started my FTB so maybe I could shim it in.

Thanks BG, the 8mm goes in between the leading edge root and the rear of the cockpit.  In the book, it says the idea was to install a big calbre gun, 37mm, 40mm, firing through the spinner but measuring the 40mm cannon from a Hurricane I found it just wasn't going to fit.  Even with a shorter 20mm the breach would have been right in the pilot's groin area (literary).  That's when I wrote to the author (David Birch, who is the 'Official' RR Historian BTW)

The Big Gimper

Quote from: The Big Gimper on February 02, 2011, 12:48:21 PM

Belay that order. I found my FTB kit drawings. Yeah it appears the wing is to far forward on the kit.  :banghead:

Lots of stuff