Mustang: F-51, A-36, F-82, Cavalier, and Piper PA-48 Enforcer

Started by nev, January 27, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

A couple of things to note;

RR was issued a number of surplus Mustang Mk.I's, the Allison engined version.  The conversion instructions say to use a Revell Mk.II kit but the radiator is way too deep.  That was determined by looking at photos of the real thing in the book (which you can get from the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust).  RR built an 'all-metal' mock-up which was unusual for the time and it was representative of what really would have been built.  When I built my two I didn't use all of the conversion fuselage, I cut it so all I used was the very forward part and the top half of the rear.  I wanted to use as much of the donor kit as I could with all the nice plastic detail parts.  The second model I used the Italeri Mk.I kit in much the same way, but beware with that, the wing is wrong because Mk.I's didn't have a leading edge root extension.  I used the Italeri kit because I found that the nice swoopy shape of the cowling underside matched what RR used, plus the radiator was about right.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Which book from the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust would this be?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on February 02, 2011, 04:21:54 PM
Which book from the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust would this be?

In my first post today RS,

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 02, 2011, 12:35:08 PM
Some pics of the two FTB conversions I built.  I found that the forward fuselage was about 8mm too short although the 3-View that comes in the conversion kit is nearly spot on.  I was able to confirm this because I wrote to the author of the book 'Rolls Royce and the Mustang' where there is a whole chapter dedicated to the FTB.  He told me that the 1/10 wind tunnel model still existed and knew where it was.  I asked him if he could do a couple of dimensional checks for me which he kindly did.  He also told me that if the aircraft had flown it would have had a Tempest tail fitted because RAE had determined that the fin area was too small.  Reason why I built the second model with a Tempest tail which was put together from info provided by the book's author.

This one below, starts on page 91 and runs throught about ten pages.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

From information out of the book I built my Mustang Mk.X.  RR found while testing, that the Mustang was unstable in the yaw, so it was figured that about 3 square feet of extra fin area was needed.  They had informed North American about it and found they already knew about the problem. NA's solution was to add the dorsal fillet, and later a much taller fin plus fillet, RR's solution was to add 3" to the whole leading edge of the fin which solved the problem.  All the Mustangs allocated to RR for testing eventually got this mod'.

Here's my Mk.X which includes the extra 3" on the fin. This is the High Planes kit in 1/72.

tomo pauk

Turbo-51.
Exhaust ducting is mostly outboard ( not unlike like FW-190 Kanghuru), turbo & intercooler take place of previous coolers, those being relocated under chin (P-40F/L can help here), ducting from intercooler to engine is located inboard.

rallymodeller

I've had it in my head recently to make the following conversion:

>Single fuselage from a Twin Mustang
>Turboprop engine of some sort (probably scratched Dart)
>Five-bladed paddle prop from a late Spit or Sea Fury
>Wings from a P-51H or something like it

Thoughts?
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

GTX

Quote from: rallymodeller on May 02, 2011, 10:35:21 AM

Thoughts?

So, basically some sort of super Mustang?

Didn't someone here model something like this already...not that another one would be a bad thing ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tomo pauk

Some radial 51s, from my early era:

GTX

Make for an interesting comparison to the ones I did on Pg 5...hmm, might have to look into modelling one of these in plastic.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tomo pauk

My 1st radial 51s were akin to your drawings, Greg. Not so sure the scale is right, though:

sequoiaranger

>I've had it in my head recently to make the following conversion:
Thoughts? <

>Didn't someone here model something like this already...not that another one would be a bad thing<

Maybe mine at "reply #122" on "page 4" relative to this post.  I used a "snap-tite" Mustang wing (slightly larger scale than 1/72---maybe 1/68 or something, but greater wing area) and a "V-16" engine to spin a 5-bladed prop.

Obviously, several people's minds have looked to the popular P-51 Mustang for whif potential, so the probability of "duplication" is very high. But, NEVER let someone else's version deter one from making one's own. It will still be "original".

I had also thought of a radial Mustang a la the Kawasaki Ki-100---that is, a "forced innovation", as if somehow the Packard/Merlin had some sort of discovered major flaw, and all the engine-less Mustang airframes needed something NOW! (PS--I'm going to do something similar to a Bf-109/209 and put a Ki.100-style radial on it----one of these days!)
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

rallymodeller

Quote from: GTX on May 04, 2011, 12:27:08 PM
Quote from: rallymodeller on May 02, 2011, 10:35:21 AM

Thoughts?

So, basically some sort of super Mustang?

Didn't someone here model something like this already...not that another one would be a bad thing ;D

Regards,

Greg

More or less; I was thinking more like a "super Enforcer".
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Pablo1965

Quote from: elmayerle on November 07, 2007, 10:47:57 PM
QuoteFound this online:

Yep, the Mustang "SeaHorse" program to investigate the possibility of a carrier-based version.  To the best of my knowledge, they didn't find any major problems, but by then the USN had enough other fighters in production that they didn't need it.  Still, it does offer some sound basis for whiffing.

Mustang on the deck and basis for us navy Mustang wiffing... like this one?

The reason for this mix can be exactly a based on carrier P-51.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Joe C-P

Quote from: Pablo1965 on May 17, 2011, 01:26:26 PM

Mustang on the deck and basis for us navy Mustang wiffing... like this one?

The reason for this mix can be exactly a based on carrier P-51.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:o Well that'll catch your eye.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.