Mustang: F-51, A-36, F-82, Cavalier, and Piper PA-48 Enforcer

Started by nev, January 27, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zemmix

perttime

I'm pretty sure the engine should be bigger. And I think it would look better with a bigger engine too.

The different canopies did look better with the DB601 Mustang.

sequoiaranger

I have in mind a "developed" He-100 whif in the pipeline that will look A LOT like this, but with a Heinkel canopy. The tail shape of the P-51 is the same (a little larger than the He-100, but that is perfectly OK for the whif), and of course the cooling bugaboo of the He-100 is now "solved" with the under-fuselage scoop arrangement. My wing will feature a Fw-190 inner (with four 20mm cannon) with He-100 outer (for shape ID), meaning the supercharger air scoop will have to be moved to the "Bf-109/Hein" position instead of in the wing root (He-100). But--the result will be similar!

Photoshopped above image into customized "He-100":

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Old Wombat

zemmix, I like both your -D & -B variants, don't see anything wrong with either of them, but I'd like to see a -C variant with a Malcolm hood.  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: zemmix on June 19, 2012, 07:29:49 AM
Just for shits and giggles:

Why the need for two radiators?

You do realise the Jumo D series used annular radiators?  If they're included then you don't need the belly scoop...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zemmix

Quote from: rickshaw on June 20, 2012, 01:25:53 AM

You do realise the Jumo D series used annular radiators?  If they're included then you don't need the belly scoop...

Oh that one was thrown together in 5 minutes just to see what a 190D nose would look like on a Mustang.  No real thought was put into it and I'm not even sure the nose is the right size!

But in any case here's a belly scoop less version.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

zemmix

perttime

I see the pics just fine: using Internet Exploder 8 on XP in Finland, no connection with minus.com.

PR19_Kit

A Mustang sans belly scoop somehow isn't a 'real' Mustang, no matter what engine it has. That scoop embodies the whole character of the aircraft somehow.

But then this IS WhiffWorld after all.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: rickshaw on June 20, 2012, 01:25:53 AM

You do realise the Jumo D series used annular radiators?  If they're included then you don't need the belly scoop...

How do you know they're both radiators? Could be a set-up comparable to the Fw 190C V-18/U-1 Känguru: annular radiator in nose + belly scoop for the turbocharger.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sequoiaranger

>How do you know they're both radiators? Could be a set-up comparable to the Fw 190C V-18/U-1 Känguru: annular radiator in nose + belly scoop for the turbocharger. <

Maybe, but the Kangaru had that extensive external piping from the exhausts down the sides of the fuselage (sunken into fairings) behind the wing, then into the "belly scoop" (and back up by a pipe in the middle). I used that "system" for a whiffed high-altitude fighter of my own. No reason you couldn't do that to a  "Mustang".

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: CANSO on April 01, 2012, 10:43:56 PM
Quote from: Pablo1965 on May 17, 2011, 01:26:26 PMMustang on the deck and basis for us navy Mustang wiffing...
As a supplement to an older posting is this profile:

All the information (IMHO pretty well done) about the real Naval Mustangs is here.

Recently did such a conversion, gotta post pics and story next days...

Briar

Hey Guys! I am new here. My RC P-51 I got was a bad model. It's engine mount was off to the side, so the motor didn't run properly. Time for some Modification!!! I am going to saw off the nose and make it a radial mustang.

sturmvogel

I drew a Jumo 004-engined Mustang a couple of months ago. I left the belly scoop on, even though it doesn't need it.

(In RAF service during late 1945-early 1946.)

Armament: 4 Hispano 20mm cannon, one prototype ADEN 30mm cannon in center of the former spinner.
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off