Do fantasy and Sci-Fi count as whiffs?

Started by nev, July 30, 2006, 02:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

The things you think about when you're on holiday and you can't get to sleep at night and you've just been watching Return of the King on DVD.

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

BlackOps

I would say yes but they still pretty much have their own genre.

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Eddie M.

It all is. Somewhere, some person had to think "What if I put this with that?" ;)  B)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

AeroplaneDriver

I've posted a sci-fi porject or two here and nobody complained.  I would say "yes" they count as whiffs.  Having said that I wouldnt want to see this site become predominantly sci-fi and fantasy.  The odd one is great, but for more than that there is starshipmodeler and other boards.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Rat

There's been some nice stuff seen, like an X-wing fighter in U.S. Navy markings. As with anything else, if you do the Starship Enterprise out of the box, it ain't a whiff. But with a NASA scheme - COOL!

Oops, I think I've just given myself an idea...  B)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gervasius

I believe it depends. Uruk-hai in front of Helm's deep probably isn't a whiff, but an Uruk-hai in cockpit of a biplane rigged Su-27 with spats of Islamic Republic of Whateveristan Army Air Shahid Corps probably counts as a whiff. My 2c.

Marko

Edit: Damn, Rat just beat me for 2 minutes. Just like Justin Gatlin. :cheers:  
Baldrick: I followed Mr Da Vinci's instructions to the letter.
Blackadder: Even though you can't actually read.
Baldrick: No, but I have done a lot of Airfix models in my time.

John Howling Mouse

Science-Fiction is "What If" by its very nature.

It is the extrapolation of known physical laws and existing technology taken into new territory of speculation.

Now, Space Opera, like Star Wars and the like, that's just pure fun, fun, fun.

Personally, I'm open to anyone's ideas: any craft, any creature, any genre, any world, anytime...    ;)
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

My life is science fiction.  Wow...I'm a what if?  

dragon

QuoteMy life is science fiction.  Wow...I'm a what if?
Only if the guidance counselor in High School said so. :lol:  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Tophe

Science fiction, by definition, is a mix of fantasy and possibility, which fits the What-if principle, I guess. :)
As far as I am concerned, I seldom love science fiction craft because in outer-space, without air, there is no need of aerodynamic (pretty) shapes... A rocket and a satellite do not please me much :( , far less than a Mustang or Mirage.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Geoff_B

Technically yes, after all Rad has mixed Orc's & Vampires with military kits.

However Starship Modeller would be the more suitable forum for pure Sci-Fi modelling as we wouldn't want conflict with them.

G

nev

QuoteThere's been some nice stuff seen, like an X-wing fighter in U.S. Navy markings. As with anything else, if you do the Starship Enterprise out of the box, it ain't a whiff. But with a NASA scheme - COOL!
QuoteI believe it depends. Uruk-hai in front of Helm's deep probably isn't a whiff, but an Uruk-hai in cockpit of a biplane rigged Su-27 with spats of Islamic Republic of Whateveristan Army Air Shahid Corps probably counts as a whiff.

See, thats what I initially thought, but then I thought about it, and decided there was a contradiction in this line of reasoning.  eg Ollies Spit IX marked up as in the BoB film, we would all agree is a whiff (even though it existed in real life).  We all invent our own AHs to provide a backstory to our whiffs, to build something from a popular, public AH (like Star Wars) is surely no different to inventing your own AH, like ADs superb Mars Marine Corps stuff.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Archibald

This is sci-fi (very, very bad sci-fi I named Goldorak) but would be something to model

Goldocrap, go!!
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

Absolutely OK.
At least one Crusader-thread model will be entered into the Fantasy Diorama class at IPMS(UK) Nats, Telford this year.
There might be an Ork one too.

Get into the Hobbitwaffe and Orkenwaffe, Nev. :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

Well I'm certainly thinking of popping into the local GW to see what LOTR figures they have.

Maybe a lie-up of orcs against Romans?