French prototype colour schemes

Started by TsrJoe, August 03, 2006, 06:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

hiyas, does anyone have a suggestion as to French prototype colour shemes for circa 1944/45 designs? (iv put together a model of the Riffauld twin engined jet based upon drawings on JC. Carbonel's site!)

i was thinking that overall olive shade as used on captured German types but unsure of its general usage or colour reference?

any help would be great, cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Joe C-P

I'll toss my hat in as someone else who'd like the same.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Leigh

You'll be lucky best I got from these jokers was a bunch of Python quotes, and look at these shoes only had 'em a week and they're worn right through, if you complain it doesn't do any good, might as well not bother......

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

TsrJoe

hmmm... thinking possibly overall olive? (khaki?) or overall silver?
what colour were the FW.190's, He.162, VG/VB.10 etc.
was 3 colour camouflage patterned schemes still in use at this time or only early war period?

...questions questions...

poss one for our French members perhaps?

:ph34r:

no-one expects the spanish inquisition....

...our main weapon is surprise...and fear...

...our two main weapons...

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

GTX

Not sure about prototypes but here are some profiles of the captured He-162 trialed by the French - note the second profile (actually of their third He-162) was repainted in blue:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

On photo's I've seen of the period there is no evidence of the 3/4 colour schemes in use during the period in question. Your best bet would be the "Olive" green colour seen on Ju 88's etc, Olive Drab from US stocks or NMF.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Be inventive...

Flourescent Pink :o  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

JC Carbonel

I would suggest overall aluminium as on Triton, first french jet flown in 1946
http://kitbox.free.fr/photoscopes/Triton_P/index.html

if you want to have your machine flown between the Liberation and the end of the war then overall olive with thin black and white stripes (like D-day stripes but thinner) would be an option . the b/W striipes were id-markings for unusual and French aircraft (because we used many ex-erman aircraft I think)

JCC

JC Carbonel

By the way , could you tell us what you used as base for your model . I would be interested in making a model too ...

JCC

TsrJoe

Hiya JC. my model of the Riffauld jet bomber is primarily made from a close grained wood (obechi in this case) with the engines modified from an old Frog Meteor resin ones of which i had to hand.

as per my usual current builds i'll be finishing it a 'company display model' style, sans clear transparencies or undercarriage with lined on control surfaces

i have a few other late war/early post war French project models on the go at the moment including 2 of the sweet looking Atar delta designs, hence my interest in finding suitable colour schemes for displaying them in! (is there a colour reference for the olive shade?)

ill try posting some pics of the model on the site and fwd soma as an email for your use.

best wishes, cheers, joe  :ph34r:

ps. does anyone know of any other early jet projects possibly worth modelling? im currently tinkering with the Campini 1942 fighter (similar in form to the forementioned Riffauld!) it should look neat next to my resin Re.2007!

TsrJoe

just wondering further to the previous postings, is there any confirmation as to the date of the Riffauld drawing, might help in establishing a posible colour scheme?

cheers, joe   :ph34r:  

TsrJoe

Archibald

Quotewould suggest overall aluminium as on Triton, first french jet flown in 1946
I agree with that. Maybe some french roundels (with a yellow circle around it), particularly on the sides of the fuselage. French colors (in vertical strips) on the tail, with the name and serial number of the plane on it...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

TsrJoe

Hi all...ill probably go with overall 'aluminium' as a finish this time round as as yet iv been unable to find a colour reference for the shade of overall green used on immediate post war French aircraft types... unless anyone knows different???

cheers, Joe  :ph34r:  

Jennings

Overall yellow was the first thing that sprang to my mind, but that's too easy :)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974