OV-10 Bronco

Started by PanzerWulff, August 04, 2006, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Ah, that's the one I meant! Definitively bigger than the OV-10, with more loading capacity.

Spey_Phantom

BUMP,

i found some research pics i would like to share.

over on my picture topic from my visit to the bronco fan day, someone mentioned an idea of a floatplane bronco.
i think the US Army was way ahead of you  :rolleyes:

Furthermore, back in 2009, Boeing offered to revive the OV-10 for a USAF FAC/CAS/ light attack aircraft requirement.
Boeing came up with the OV-10X  :mellow:

and, there's the March Aerospace OV-10M upgrade (currently in service in the Phillipenes and Columbia).
i started work on a similar upgrade on an OV-10D some time ago, might have to look in the stash to see if i can still find that project  :rolleyes:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Daryl J.

Sweden.  In full wraparound Splinter.

Dizzyfugu

The Bronco was also tested from aircraft carriers, so imagine a submarine hunter version for the USN...  :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQuyql36aY

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 13, 2013, 06:06:03 AM
The Bronco was also tested from aircraft carriers, so imagine a submarine hunter version for the USN...  :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQuyql36aY

Catapults? Arrestor wires? Hooks? Who needs 'em?  ;D

Interesting to see that FAA Phantom FG1 land on the Sara in the middle.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Might need a spare set of tyres though!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kerick

Bet those brakes were hot too! I don't know if the pilot was lifting off as soon as he could have or holding the OV-10 on the deck as long as possible to build up more speed before lifting off but the whole length of the deck was barely enough.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

He only used the angled bit though. If he was pushed for length he could have gone straight and over the cats I guess.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

It would have been really tough carrying a weapons load!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

Quote from: kerick on November 14, 2013, 07:18:09 PM
It would have been really tough carrying a weapons load!

Nah, just steam a bit faster... ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sandiego89

Not just aircraft carriers, Broncos also operated from large deck amphibious assault ships, LHA class, which is larger than many nations carriers, but quite a bit smaller than a US super carrier.  No arrestor gear, no catapult, no angled deck, and yes with a weapons load.  Not onboard for every deployment, but was semi-routine.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:OV-10_Broncos_of_VMO-1_on_USS_Saipan_(LHA-2)_1987.JPEG
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Nice find. I learned something new today. Thanks.
Tophe the Wise

ChernayaAkula

Of course some needs to build a Bronco with folding wings now!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

NARSES2

Was watching the BBC 2 parter on submarine warfare in the Cold War and there were a few clips of OV-10's taking off from carriers, may have been those big Marine helicopter assault ships ? Interesting.

However typically poor research (or lazy producing/directing) in one shot the voice over described Soviet AS warfare and in the second episode the same shot plus a flyover was used during the piece on the USN's exercises up in the Barents Sea during Regan's time
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"