OV-10 Bronco

Started by PanzerWulff, August 04, 2006, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on August 03, 2009, 01:41:28 PM
Quote from: famvburg on August 03, 2009, 12:21:34 PM
      Didn't the prototype have PT-6s?

The YOV-10 had T76s (Garrett-AiResearch TPE331s). The 7th prototype had T74s (PT6As) for comparison trials (most of the LARA competitors offered either engine) so a Philippine engine swap would be fairly straightforward.

The Philippinos have also put four bladed props on theirs.  Apparently it was increasingly difficult to source the three-bladed ones.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Stargazer

Quote from: Acree on February 26, 2009, 10:11:13 AM
Rutan's Scaled Composites had a proposal some time ago for an assault transport with a rectangular section fuselage and tandem straight wing, with the tail supported by twin booms.

Are you talking about the ATTT, also dubbed "SMUT" by people at Scaled?

It is believed that this aircraft served as a proof-of-concept vehicle for the Senior Citizen program.

"SENIOR CITIZEN was an advanced tactical theater transport program run through the Air Force Advanced Systems Center at Wright-Patterson AFB. It was the follow-up to the DARPA/Scaled Composites AT³ (Advanced Technology Tactical Transport), a program which enabled the construction of a scaled-down troop transport prototype designated Scaled Composites Model 133, also known as the SMUT (Special-Mission Utility Transport) and flown between 1987 and 1989. The general idea was to develop an aircraft halfway between a helicopter and a C-130 Hercules. The aim was to land on a very short distance (initially 304 meters) and to transport 14 troops and 2 tons of material."

Source: http://stargazer2006.online.fr/ (my website on Rutan...  :rolleyes: ;D)

elmayerle

If someone does do a conversion for the CV-10 in 1/48, I want at least one.  I intend to use the markings from the Hawk "metalplate" OV-10A for it as they are civil markings that look like they could be for some special transportation group.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archangel

I was at a magazine stand reading "Combat Aircraft" and they had a small article about the OA-X program and that Boeing was thinking of offering upgraded OV-10 Broncos as their entry.

Army of One

Just seen this thread n love it.......does anyone have any input as to which is the better kit in 1/72 of the D model....Airfix or Academy please?.......at work at the mo and webmarshal is blocking my access to cybermodeller reviews...tried other searches n found lots of stuff on the Academy kit but not a lot on the Airfix one. Many thanks in advance........H 
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Mossie

I haven't seen the Airfix kit, but I can confirm that the Academy kit looks very nice in the box & has several stores & nose options.  As it's much more recent than the Airfix kit, I'd probably plump for the Academy version.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Army of One

I thank you  :bow:.....have to admit the made up kit on the airfix box does not inspire me....Academy kit it is then
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Green Dragon

The Airfix is very basic compared to the Academy kit with lots of rivets and raised panel line detail but it does have the multi barrel belly gun turret!
Airfix kit is of the NOGS and NOS prototypes and Academy is of the operational machine.
Weapons in the Airfix kit are (NOGS) gun turret and 2 Sidewinders on the fuselage with four Hellfires under the wings and (NOS) four 7.62mm in fuselage sponsons and four Hellfires under the wings. Pylons are moulded on the gun sponsons but nothing is supplied to fit there. I think the old Airfix OV-10A kit had some small bombs for them and Sidewinders under the wings.

Academy's OV-10D has the four-gun sponsons with moulded on pylons, 2 LAU10 5 inch rocket pods, 2 LAU3 2.75 inch rocket pods, 2 Mk82 bombs, 2 sidewinders (early versions by the look of them, possibly AIM9 B's), one 150 gallon drop tank and one 230 Gallon drop tank.
Airfix cockpit is awful, just two pilots on dodgy looking seats. Academy has instrument panels (with decals) side consloes, some usable seat with moulded on straps and a rear bulkhead.

HTH

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Mossie

Sounds like there's some potential for cross kitting there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Army of One

Yes indeed.........many thanks Paul........might be able to get an Airfix one for next to nothing but will get the Academy one anyway.......I should stop looking at all these threads.....way to much inspiration....keep finding things I wanna do...I daren't look at the Armour/figure/ship/sci-fi stuff........
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Shasper

I think those early model AIM-9s are in fact AGM-122 SideARMs, the jarheads had them on their Broncs until both were retired in the early '90s.

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Green Dragon

Yep Shasper, I reckon you're right. I always assumed they were for self defence against aircraft rather than a lightweight ARM. Learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Just had a look at my Academy OV-10D and noticed you don't get two Mk82 bombs....you get four! Excellent weapons load for a kit that cost less than a fiver (price has gone up to £5.99 since I got mine but still great value).

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

elmayerle

Quote from: Shasper on November 26, 2009, 01:56:40 PM
I think those early model AIM-9s are in fact AGM-122 SideARMs, the jarheads had them on their Broncs until both were retired in the early '90s.
Easy way to tell or modify, AGM-122 SiDEARMS retain the different nose of the AIM-9C they derive from.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archangel

Hasagawa also made a 1/72nd scale OV-10 awhile back. The weapons load was four bombs and two sidewinders. Not alot better then the Airfix kit. However now that you can get their weapons sets you get better and more of a choice in loading out your OV-10. You would still have your work cut out in bring it up to any reasonable standard for the cockpit and panel lines.