OV-10 Bronco

Started by PanzerWulff, August 04, 2006, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Dragon

Got an Airfix OV-10A delivered today (still has a 25p Woolworths price sticker on it!). Weapons are the four 7.62mm M60C's in the sponsons, four Mk.82 bombs, one drop tank on the centreline and two AIM-9D Sidewinders on the wing pylons. Only 1/72nd Bronco I haven't got is the Hasegawa/Frog kit.
Did some checking on line and the Hellfires were apparently only carried by the prototype D Broncos and not fired or cleared for operations. All D versions can be fitted with the 20mm belly cannon but funding never arrived to actually do it, tests were very successful.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

DarrenP

OV-10x may be a non starter :( as the design for the LARA aircraft has to be already in production....shame

Stargazer

Quote from: DarrenP on December 03, 2009, 04:49:16 AM
OV-10x may be a non starter :( as the design for the LARA aircraft has to be already in production....shame

This is BAD news!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

sideshowbob9

Doesn't stop us though!  ;D

I am sorely tempted to attempt that CV-10 myself!

B777LR

I read that in both Air Forces Monthly and Combat Aircraft. It has many shortcomings, such as being a paper plane, not flying, not in production. They don't even have a prototype. Embraer has the Super Tucano in service with a PMC in the US, and quite a few air forces, even been used in action against drug cartels. The AT-6 has recently flown in prototype form, but won't have combat experience.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on December 03, 2009, 05:12:10 AM
I am sorely tempted to attempt that CV-10 myself!

Let us know how you do the windscreen please.

That's what's stalled my CV-10 at present, I think I'll have to plunge mould one eventually.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Hya Kit, what sort of shape is the windscreen for your cv-10? I have a few windscreens/canopies from dead aircraft, so I might have something that you could use.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Chris,

A very weird shape.  :lol:

As I had to scratch the fuselage, based on 'drawings' and the FS2004 model, it's a bit like a Twin Otter, but a Twotter one won't fit at the bottom. I've tried a Sea King and a Do 228 and a few others, but I think the blow mould might be the way to go eventually. From the piccie you can see it needs to wrap around the curved nose, but also needs to be flat where it meets the roof. What's not obvious from the pic are the side windows, which are still solid styrene at the moment.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Aaah! I think yours is going to be a bit better than mine! Mine will be more of a psuedo-CV-10. When I saw the Do-28 mentioned, I thought "Aha! Close-enough". Particularly as my LHS had one!  ;D

Sorry I won't be of any help.

As an aside, I intend to destroy an Alpha Jet I have to turn the remainder of the Bronco fuselage into some kind of North American/Rockwell T-45 rival.  :blink:

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 04, 2009, 12:42:26 AM
Chris,

A very weird shape.  :lol:

As I had to scratch the fuselage, based on 'drawings' and the FS2004 model, it's a bit like a Twin Otter, but a Twotter one won't fit at the bottom. I've tried a Sea King and a Do 228 and a few others, but I think the blow mould might be the way to go eventually. From the piccie you can see it needs to wrap around the curved nose, but also needs to be flat where it meets the roof. What's not obvious from the pic are the side windows, which are still solid styrene at the moment.
How about a CH-46 screen?? or MH-53 or a chinook one?
I have spare ones of these, if any of them are of use to you let me know.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

famvburg

Has anyone considered this novel idea? Carve the windshield & then stretch form or vac form it?

Mossie

I've considered it before, then ran away screaming like a girl....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Speaking of the Bronco, did anyone see Erin Kewin's superb scratchbuilt (from plastic, aluminium, balsa. brass...) 1/24 Bronco in the November issue of FineScale Modeler:

Simply stunning!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Stargazer

:o :o :o Oh my! This is SERIOUS stuff... Would put to shame just about any of us lay modelers...  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Shasper

It wouldn't take much to get a prototype of the new OV-10 in the air, there's several A & D models being flown by various state & Fed agencies here in the States.

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.