Main Menu

ROK F-47

Started by philp, August 11, 2006, 12:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Alright, I tallied all the votes regarding where the markings belong and the winner is...

I'll just do it like the kit shows.

Anyway, here is my current what if project.  Hope to finish it off this week.

When North Korea attacked the South in 1950, the ROK didn't have any combat aircraft to defend themselves.  The US hastily gathered some resources to provide for a squadron.  Originally the thought process had been to provide F-51 Mustangs as these were plentiful.  However, bright minds understood that the aircraft would probably be used more in the ground attack role, a role which the liquid cooled engine of the Mustang has a severe disadvantage.  Luckily, there were still several F-47 Thunderbolts available and with its robust structure, 8 .50 cal machine guns and dive bombing capability, these airframes were shipped to Korea.  A group of American pilots lead by Col. Dean Hess took on the task of training these pilots and even participating in several missions.  After the war, these airframes were replaced with F-86 Sabres.

This is the Academy kit in 1/72nd.  Preliminary shot shows the paint applied.  Walmart Aluminum in the rattle can.

The last shots show it after the anti glare panel (again, Walmart rattle can) and Korean markings from the Academy F-51 kit have been applied.  I still need to overcoat the markings to see if I can get rid of some silvering.  

Now got to paint the landing gear, bombs and canopy and attach them all...hmmm...maybe a small vignette...wonder if I have any ground crew available...
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Brian da Basher

Man that's one fantastic whiff idea there phil! I really like the looks of it in ROK markings! I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

Brian da Basher

monkeyhanger

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the USAF would have preferred F47s to F51s. The problem was that there weren't enough around.  

Radish

The trouble was most Thunderbolts had been delivered to South Ameican countries, France, Turkey etc..
Not many were left.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

cthulhu77

Love that bmf in those markings!

John Howling Mouse

Looks fantastic.
Also looks like it was carved out of a solid billet of aluminum, you got the paint so well done.

:wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

I've always liked the Thunderbolt, it has the "Im gonna hammer the crap outta something" look  I think you are off to a gret start! The back story works well with the buils too :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

nev

That looks gorgeous and so very, very real  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

philp

Finally finished this kit.  Even though I didn't put that much time into it I still worked on this kit for over a month.

Couple other pics posted on our site
http://www.ipmsslc.com/gallery2/v/MembersM...rson/?g2_page=2
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

John Howling Mouse

That first, darker shot sure is pretty!  Took me a second to realize it was your model (thought you had found a photo of the full-size bird until I remembered it was your own speculative scheme). Great job, modeller!   :wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Sisko

Man that is one damned impressive BMF. I can't believe that you were able to achieve that with a rattle can.

Everytime I paint with a can it looks like the sponge effect I have on my lounge room wall.

Excellent job!!! :wub:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

NARSES2

Thats a really good build, and very plausable as well, could fool some people.

The fist photo is so evocative as well - terrific  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

Brilliant!  That first photo, if you chopped off the table, it looks so real it would fool a lot of people!  I certainly did a double take.  Looks gorgeous in those markings  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Damian2

:wub:

Hats off to you phil! That's one lovely looking model! I'm hoping to get to my alternate Korean birds someday...

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Leigh

WOW great Job :wub:
Me too luvee the WAL-Mart rattle cans, is it the color place stuff at 84c a can you're using? The equipment grey primer is great and I use it for most of my light greys too. Quick wet sand with 2000 grit and it comes up glossy.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models