Coast Guard idea

Started by SebastianP, August 12, 2006, 02:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SebastianP

I may have posted this idea before, but I never got any feedback on it, sadly...

Fact: The coast guard is looking for more ships, since the ones they've got are slow, and unsuited to far offshore operations. What armament they have (neccessary for the War on Drugs, and now the War on Terror), is bolted on rather than actually designed into them, and they're rather small to operate aircraft.

Fact: The US Navy recently decommissioned the first five units of the Ticonderoga class, which *are* suited to far offshore ops, *are* fast, *are* big enough to operate aircraft in really ugly weather, and *are* designed with rather heavy armament in mind.

Exercise: scrounge up some suitable decals, a rattle can of white paint, and a Tico kit, and get cracking...

Imagine the faces of them smugglers when they're run down by a 35-knot cruiser...

SP

SebastianP

Using the profile on Globalsecurity.org, and MS Paint, I cooked up the following:

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Sounds like a heck of an idea to me!  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Captain Canada

You can never have enough Coast Guard ! Go for it !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dragon

This just looks so right! :cheers:  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Daryl J.

There's nothing quite like a Coastie.

Givem th'best they can get.

Daryl J., void of all ship knowledge

Sentinel Chicken

A Tico cutter? That'd be 'bout the meanest thing in Coastie colors yet. If I'm not mistaken the USCG is supposed to start using some modified ex-USN Perry class frigates, right?

Jennings

Actually, that's not too far off reality.  When I was doing search & rescue flying over the Stratis of Florida in the mid-1990s (looking for Cuban refugees), we naturally had a lot of dealings with the Coasties.  As an aside, I have the *GREATEST* of respect for those folks.  Truly super, every one.  I saw them do things that made my hair stand on end.

Anyway, on anti-drug ops in the Caribbean, the USN carries a Coast Guard officer aboard.  When they close in for an interception/arrest, they run up the Coast Guard flag on the main mast, and the USCG officer assumes "command" of the vessel, thus making it (technically) a USCG vessel, not a USN vessel.  Since the USCG can make arrests and the Navy can't (legally), the Coast Guard assumes command and it's all legal like.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

dragon

QuoteAnyway, on anti-drug ops in the Caribbean, the USN carries a Coast Guard officer aboard.  When they close in for an interception/arrest, they run up the Coast Guard flag on the main mast, and the USCG officer assumes "command" of the vessel, thus making it (technically) a USCG vessel, not a USN vessel.  Since the USCG can make arrests and the Navy can't (legally), the Coast Guard assumes command and it's all legal like.

J
So in theory you could have a Coast Guard Officer in charge of a Nimitz-Class aircraft carrier or a Ballistic Missile sub.  Hmmmm....Imagine those in Coast Guard colors.   Drug busts would require a full change of underwear for the druggies once arrested.  B)
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

jcf

QuoteI may have posted this idea before, but I never got any feedback on it, sadly...

Fact: The coast guard is looking for more ships, since the ones they've got are slow, and unsuited to far offshore operations. What armament they have (neccessary for the War on Drugs, and now the War on Terror), is bolted on rather than actually designed into them, and they're rather small to operate aircraft.

Fact: The US Navy recently decommissioned the first five units of the Ticonderoga class, which *are* suited to far offshore ops, *are* fast, *are* big enough to operate aircraft in really ugly weather, and *are* designed with rather heavy armament in mind.

Exercise: scrounge up some suitable decals, a rattle can of white paint, and a Tico kit, and get cracking...

Imagine the faces of them smugglers when they're run down by a 35-knot cruiser...

SP
They have three major deepwater design/build programs currently:
National Security Cutter: 418-foot length and 4300 long tons displacement, 2 hulls under construction.

USCGC Bertholf (WMSL 750) July, 26, 2006; Northrop-Grumman yard Pascagoula, Mississippi.

Offshore patrol Cutter: 360-foot length and 3,715 long tons displacement, preliminary design stages.

Fast Response Cutter: 149-foot length and 325 long tons displacement, in detailed design.

Details:
USCG Deepwater programs...NSC

OPC

FRC

While the Tico notion is nice...where are the Coastes going to get the necessary crews? 358 (24 officers); accommodation for 405 total per ship would be a tough nut for personnel let alone budget.

Cheers, Jon

anthonyp

Oh, cool!  I've been looking for pics of the Bertholf.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

SebastianP

But, but, but those aren't fearsome terrorist or druggie killers like the Ticos would be... besides the Ticos are there now - were there *last year*...

Besides, having Coastie Ticos would allow for some really cool weapons against those pesky speedboats. ASROC, anyone? SM-2MR?

And if you think the manpower requirement is too high, maybe I shouldn't post my other idea...

Sentinel Chicken

QuoteBut, but, but those aren't fearsome terrorist or druggie killers like the Ticos would be... besides the Ticos are there now - were there *last year*...

Besides, having Coastie Ticos would allow for some really cool weapons against those pesky speedboats. ASROC, anyone? SM-2MR?

And if you think the manpower requirement is too high, maybe I shouldn't post my other idea...

Imagine swapping out the old billboard arrays with some sort of AESA type array and using it as a directed energy weapon to fry out the electonics of the drug-runner boats.......and if that's not enough, I think the Talos missile has some surface-to-surface capability.......:D

jcf

QuoteBut, but, but those aren't fearsome terrorist or druggie killers like the Ticos would be... besides the Ticos are there now - were there *last year*...

Imagine swapping out the old billboard arrays with some sort of AESA type array and using it as a directed energy weapon to fry out the electonics of the drug-runner boats.......and if that's not enough, I think the Talos missile has some surface-to-surface capability.......:D
The Talos system was retired as of 1979...and the Long Beach is in Bremerton waiting to be broken up.