Welsh Roundels

Started by Geoff, August 14, 2006, 05:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Roundels

1 Iranian style red, white, green roundels with 3 colour rudder stripes?
1 (3.7%)
2, Red dragons on a green and white roundel with the flag on the tail and a low viz option?
14 (51.9%)
3, The cross of St David (gold cross on a black field similar to Cross of St George)?
2 (7.4%)
4,Three colour roundels with CoSt D on the rudder (think Spanish AF)?
0 (0%)
5, Somthing else?
10 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 25

sidewinder

The red dragon is a must!

Way to go Jennings  :wub:

side

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep the red dragon motif is a must. But I would modify it by having the roundel divided 50/50 green/white with the dragon superimposed on the top. Think a circular version of the national flag..... then the 70's/80's tactical version, eliminates the white from the roundel and has the dragon on a plain green disc. Finally the current lo-vis version which is either a red or grey outlined dragon with no disk !!

Nos Dahr

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

SinUnNombre

I like Jennings green/white roundel with the red dragon and the CoStD on the tail.

Jon

Jennings

You guys have seen this, right?

J

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

upnorth

Quotei like the whatif idea of devolved UK. forces each with their own 'Commonwealth' marking in red within a standard blue roundel, similar to that posted prev by Jennings...
hmmm...Welsh with a dragon, Scottish a thistle, English a ...hmm?, N.Ireland???

be neat as a set of decals?

as for truly independent forces (very very whatif!), Jennings green outlined roundel looks good, for Scots possibly a blue disc with white cross, English with 3 lions, lol, N.Irish..??

happy modelling, cheers, Joe  :ph34r:

hmm..a Scottish Air Force TSR.2...lol
I don't know about England, but I'd figure N. Ireland should have the red hand of Ulster in its roundel.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Mossie

England Roundel:

or:

Colours not quite right but you get the gist!

Simon.

EDIT, substituted original images for clickable ones cos Photobucket was playing silly beggers!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Well after skipping over the obvious answer (Radish didn't) I went for the dragon, but (and there's always a but) I read somewhere recently that the dragon as the Welsh Flag is actually a fairly recent idea. It came about when latent Welsh Nationalists were looking for a symbol and came up with the dragon perhaps as recently as the 50's ? I've know idea what the Welsh Prince's used as their symbol or indeed if there ever has been a unified Wales as we know the "country" to exist today ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

QuoteI always thought the red dragon was the symbol of the kings of Gwynedd.

The Cross of St David was used by the church.
Right thanks Geoff, maybe that's why the Nat's adopted it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jennings

Wow... my entire country (Eurocentrically speaking, of course) is only now celebrating its 300th anniversary next year (Jamestown settlement) :)  We don't know nuthin' about no 800 AD!

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Martin H

300 years.....hmmm another 50 years and it will be as old as my brothers house LOL
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

QuoteWow... my entire country (Eurocentrically speaking, of course) is only now celebrating its 300th anniversary next year (Jamestown settlement) :)  We don't know nuthin' about no 800 AD!

J
When I was 10 (1962) we had to go to church to celebrate the 1,000 year since Croydon was first mentioned in the record books, and my local market (Surrey Street) proudly shows a copy of it's origional Charter granted in 1152. My US friends were fascinated when they came over especially as the local "posh" girls school is based in one of QE 1's old palaces (whence the name Old Palace" ) - they thought that type of thing only happened after a Comunist Takeover  ;)

Chris

lancer

One of the estates in Bracknell, Easthampstead, used to be a village and is mentioned in the Doomsday book. The church dates back to just a couple of hundred years after the book.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

The village I grew up in, just east of Hull is the same, mentioned in the doomsday book.  Some think it actually dates back to at least the 8th or 9th century.  There was a small abbey there, which led to it's name, Preston, or Preists-town.  There was a wodden church then on the same site as the current one.

I now live a mile down the road in the town of Hedon.  It isn't mentioned in the doomsday book, although some beleive it's only because it went by a different name back then.  It was the main port in East Yorks before Hull was established.

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Martin H

ok lads weve had our fun , lets get this back on track.

What would an independant wales have aircraft wise for its airwing/airforce ect ect ect
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Jennings

Or a bit more stylish..