GP-38J Glidening

Started by Tophe, August 14, 2006, 09:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

From http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=0&#entry158979 :
Quotemy wife suggested that I put another big model on the wall and I took my unfinished P-38J 1/32, started in 1979 yes... :(  First I would discard the landing gears
then discard the propellers that would be a problem against the wall, so this will be a glider. "Engines" and big ugly scoops (I would have preferred a P-38F...) may be discarded too, I will see.

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

B777LR

Try do it single boom and T-tail  :wub:  

Tophe

QuoteTry do it single boom and T-tail  :wub:
Dear Thomas,
For me, making a P-38 as single-boom is something like, uh... spitting on a church Cross for a Christian, farting in the direction of Mecca for a Muslim... I simply cannot go that far into insulting heresy. :(  :angry:
I've heard the P-38 was nick-named Forked-Tail Devil by the Evil side :angry: . (Authorised) historians fully disagree: sending Stupid-Tail Devils (Messerschmitt, Zero) to Heaven/Purgatory with bullets/arrows of love, it was a Twin-Tail Angel ^_^ ...

If ever I imagine a single-boom P-38 :angry: , it is to heroically fight such evil and turn it immediately in the holy twin-boom direction :)  (see below the F-38 turned back into P-38: Forbidden-38 :angry: /Permitted-38 :) ) - I am able to imagine that on paper/screen :) , fortunately that does not exist in plastic 1/32 :( ...

B777LR

Sorry forgot that  B)

Tophe

Ups, I saw (then it disappeared) an Edit saying something like "is it possible to use the P-38 as a tow plane".
The answer being: everything's possible in our what-if dreamy universe...

B777LR

whoops, edited that away, coz i forgot that it wasnt assymetric :P

But as the tow plane wouldnt need power for a dogfight, how about placing cockpit on 1 engine nacelle (keeping the boom), and towing from the remains of the cockpit pod!

Tophe

Tophe

The plastic GP-38J is taking shape in plastic - lots of putty & sanding work still to do...

I have not removed the boom coolers as they are holding the booms, and that would have been too fragile cutting them away. As there is no engine, they will not be coolers but color-smoke sprayers for airshows...

nev

Tophe, that GP-38 being towed is beautiful!  :wub:  Lovely sleek lines :)

Good to see you're still modelling (and getting encouragement from Mrs Tophe :) )
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

elmayerle

QuoteThe plastic GP-38J is taking shape in plastic - lots of putty & sanding work still to do...

I have not removed the boom coolers as they are holding the booms, and that would have been too fragile cutting them away. As there is no engine, they will not be coolers but color-smoke sprayers for airshows...
Fair the front end of the radiator housings into the booms with putty and leave the back open for the smoke generators.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

QuoteFair the front end of the radiator housings into the booms with putty and leave the back open for the smoke generators.
I will, thanks Evan, thanks Nev... :)  

B777LR

Clipped wings?  
And to get it into the air, i have an even better idea then using a P-38! Strap on some RATO/JATO rocket pods!

John Howling Mouse

You've got to alert me to such brilliance, Monsieur Xtophe!  I nearly missed this.
(If I do the "View New Posts" thing I will never get the time to complete another model!).

Colors?  Deckles/Deekals?

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Thanks for these nice words, that I don't deserve at all...
For the colour, this will probably be a single plain one everywhere but I have not yet chosen which. There is such a huge area at 1/32 that I will choose one of my most full cans (I have so many things here still to use - my money is better used helping my Filipino family in law).
For the decals, I plan to put on the wings the white circles that were to put on the fins:

B777LR

How about white with red lines, like a real glider? And of course you deserve all teh kind words!