Hauling Trash - Air Freighters, Cargo Transport Aircraft, and Guppies

Started by elmayerle, March 16, 2005, 02:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Well, if we're going to discuss large airliners, there's also the Lockheed Constitution though it would need turboprops or another pair of engines to have adequate power.    

If they were looking to supply a range, Convair could also have done a transport derivative of the B-32 analogous to the relationship between the XR2Y-1 "Liberator Liner" and the B-24N/PB4Y-2.

Now, the proposed combination of the B-60 wings, engines, and tails onto teh basic production C-99 would have produced a very interesting "bird"; as would have the combination of the proposed turboprop B-36 wings and engines onto the production C-99.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

Thanks for the reminder, Wooksta, I'll have to go back and review my copy of STuck on the Drawing Board for other possibilities.  *smile* a Brabazon with a saner engine set up comes to mind, or as a starting point for a jetliner.

Geoff_B

QuoteA VC7 with RAF markings opens up a lot of possibilities.
Thats a V-1000 isn't it Lee for the Military version. Still can't believe they scrubbed that one when 80% complete !!!! Now who do we get to do a Vacform version !!!! :D  

Mike Wren

with my new 'thing' for 1/400 die cast airliners I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to scratch build a VC7/V1000 in that scale, especially in flight. there's a drawing in Project Cancelled or Stuck on the Drawing Board isn't there?

Swamphen

QuoteIf they were looking to supply a range, Convair could also have done a transport derivative of the B-32 analogous to the relationship between the XR2Y-1 "Liberator Liner" and the B-24N/PB4Y-2.
Remember, in that TL the B-24 and B-32 were cancelled...

elmayerle

QuoteIf they were looking to supply a range, Convair could also have done a transport derivative of the B-32 analogous to the relationship between the XR2Y-1 "Liberator Liner" and the B-24N/PB4Y-2.
Remember, in that TL the B-24 and B-32 were cancelled...
Ah, I wasn't aware of that.  Well, then this would definitely have ehlped Convair.  I wonder if they would've built at least a prototype of the flying boat derivative of the C-99?

Mike Wren

QuoteYes, but the Aerofax Vickers Valiant book by Eric Morgan has a lot more details plus alternate variants, including one with 4 podded underwing engines.
I'd forgotten about that one... cheers wooksta

Davey B

QuoteYes, but the Aerofax Vickers Valiant book by Eric Morgan has a lot more details plus alternate variants, including one with 4 podded underwing engines.
NNNOOOOOO!!!!!

The wing-root engines made it really, lovelyly distinctive  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Then again, upgrading would've been a ball-ache...  :wacko:

Hmm, tanker, in place of VC10 maybe?

Aircav

I was in the local modelshop today and they'ed just got some new models in from Italeri one of them a Messerschmitt Me-323 Gigant and a thought passed through my head, wouldn't it make a great Post-war car ferry flying from Kent to France with may be Silver City or BEA or even Lufthansa, flying cars from Germany to Switzerland, or is it just me going mad..................... :unsure:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Runway ? ...

Sounds good to me  :)  The biggest limitation to the project would be finding customers. Most of Europe was pretty messed up post war. Other aircraft such as the Bristol 170 made a fair living out of it though so why not  :)

And for our Canadian members check(if it works) this kiddie out 1000aircraftphotos.com

jcf

QuoteI was in the local modelshop today and they'ed just got some new models in from Italeri one of them a Messerschmitt Me-323 Gigant and a thought passed through my head, wouldn't it make a great Post-war car ferry flying from Kent to France with may be Silver City or BEA or even Lufthansa, flying cars from Germany to Switzerland, or is it just me going mad..................... :unsure:
Just you going mad...from a "real world" standpoint it would be a terrible choice for a car ferry, at least not without a major redesign.

But...for a What-if? 'twould be amusing. You would probably want to upgrade the engines to something more powerful than the Gnomes. The Hercules or R-2600 would probably be your best choice.

Cheers, Jon

Alvis 3.1

And for our Canadian members check(if it works) this kiddie out
Cool...and yes...we made it ourselves in our garage last week! :)  :huh:

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1

Scooterman

Scooterman

Speaking of which (and not trying to hijack) has anybody made a conversion for the 1/144 Revell 124 kit?

Alvis 3.1

And for our Canadian members check(if it works) this kiddie out
Cool...and yes...we made it ourselves in our garage last week! :)  :huh:

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1
A note of explanation : RCAF crews would often be greeted with looks of horror at USAF bases when they'd arrive in these...imagine what an F-100 pilot would say when confronted with a Bristol Freighter? The oft quoted reply was "Why YES, we DID build it ourselves!"

Alvis 3.1