Hauling Trash - Air Freighters, Cargo Transport Aircraft, and Guppies

Started by elmayerle, March 16, 2005, 02:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennings

QuoteSpeaking of which (and not trying to hijack) has anybody made a conversion for the 1/144 Revell 124 kit?
I fully expect Amodel to do it if anyone does.  They've done an An-10 kit that includes a complete Roden An-12, plus mod pieces.  They could do similar with the An-124, although 1/144 is not their usual scale.

Wouldn't a Mriya be impressive in 1/72?  It would come with a mortgage application for the addition you'd have to put on your house.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Geoff_B

And for our Canadian members check(if it works) this kiddie out
Cool...and yes...we made it ourselves in our garage last week! :)  :huh:

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1
Shouldn't that read we made it from the Garage !!!! Alvis

As to Airferrys Steve the 323 sounds good or possibly a land plane version of the BV222 possibly with a rounded fuselage as no need to be boat shaped.

jcf

QuoteWell, how about a lenghtened zwillin Me 323 powered by RR Darts?

:D
...and install the outer wing panels with anhedral instead of dihedral. 'Twould look much better and not so much like a Golden Age Free-Flight Gas flying model.

Ollie

Runway ? ...

WIG !
A "Channel Air Bridge" Orlyonok .. now that would be mad. Bagses first go, but make it a sunny day  :)  

Sentinel Chicken

Or better yet, the new 747 LCF that will be flying 787 Dreamliner components everywhere:

And yessiree Bob, that's a genuine SWING TAIL!

Jennings

Just finished reading "747" by Joe Sutter (father of the 747, and my former uncle-in-law).  He waxes about the 747, but I'm 110% positive he never dreamed in 1965 when he was leading the design team that he'd live to see his creation done like THAT!  Amazing airplane.  Truly amazing.  I'm starting to believe it's even more amazing than (gulp...) the 707 and KC-135!

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Aircav

That's a lot of Miliput on that 747  :D

Land based Bv222, hmmm, there's one in the shop too...............or............Four Darts on a Me-323..............................................
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

MartG

Bargain basement car ferry - underslung load on a Chinook. Imagine sitting in a car dangling from a rope a few thousand feet over the Channel :lol:

Check in " Will that be parachute or non-parachute sir"?
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Mossie

How about a Spruce Goose?  Since it could hardly get off the water it could double as a seaborne ferry!  :lol:

Simon
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Why not put floats on the Gigant or a boat hull? Would an Airfix Battleship hull be big enought for a Gigant in 1/72nd? Bismark? Tirpitz??
Could you make it into one of those sea-skimming thingies that the Soviets developed?? :lol:

I love the idea of a BEA-liveried one as well....fantastic!
Or Lufthansa.
Equip it with lots of VW Beetles as the B :party: ritish re-intoduced production of it at Wolfsberg just after the war.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Aircav

Equip it with lots of VW Beetles as the B :party: ritish re-intoduced production of it at Wolfsberg just after the war.
You can blame the British army for that, REME to be exact  :D  :D  :D  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

braincells37

Just you going mad...from a "real world" standpoint it would be a terrible choice for a car ferry, at least not without a major redesign.

But...for a What-if? 'twould be amusing. You would probably want to upgrade the engines to something more powerful than the Gnomes. The Hercules or R-2600 would probably be your best choice.

Cheers, Jon
Oooohhhhhh. How many R-2600's would it take? Just thinking out loud here...
IPMS Seattle 'President For Life'

Ollie

R-2600 gives you 1 700HP.  Check how much one Gnome gives and do the math.  4 R-2600 would like rather tasty, in B-25 nacelles of course!

:wub:

elmayerle

Considering that the Me323 was somewhat underpowered even with all the Gnomes, I'd suggest a one for one replacement with R2600s to give some better performance and some safety should one or two of the engines need to be shut down.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin