A

Jackal Island medium bomber A-109

Started by Alvis 3.1, August 16, 2006, 12:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.1

Seen here is the A-109B QuattleBomber, used by the Jackal Island Air force as a medium bomber and attack aircraft. Any ideas how many 1/48 scale Monogram kits died to make this?

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1

Armed with 6 .50 cal machine guns and 2 20 mm cannon, the QuattleBomber also carries a potent payload of 2 (TWO!) 500 Pound High Explosive bombs. External racks have been used at times to increase the payload, carrying 2 250 pound bombs. The crew consists of a pilot, one very cramped bomb aimer, a radio operator and a turret gunner. The pusher props allow the 4 .50 caliber and 2 20mm cannons to fire directly out the front of the engine nacelees. Maximum speed is 320 knots, and has a range of 540 miles.

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1

And to kill the suspense: It's the pod from a P-61, reversed, one boom used to make the tail section (Sorry Tophe, I made a monoboom out of a two boom plane) wings and stabs from a B-26 Marauder, props and exhaust from TWO P-40s, the tailwheel from a Mosquito, and the upper turret was heatformed over the side of a B-17 belly turret. Decals are a mix of Letraset types, homemade on a inkjet printer, and sandwiched Warhammer decals. The aft canopy section was heatformed over a balsa master, so as the eliminate the obvious front canopy shape it originally would have had. And, don't ask me how this came to me...it just fell into my deranged lil brain 3 months ago!

Alvis 3.1

Spey_Phantom

man, you are the king of kitbashing.
extreme good work there  :wub:  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Scooterman

KEWL!!! :wub:

Can we get a belly shot pleae?

nev

you make these works of genius look so simple!  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Keith Diamond

wow, you really make it look like a production kit.  Very impressive as usual Alvis!
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Geoff_B

Alvis 3.1

New pics...apparently a large greasy smudge on the lens doesn't improve my model pics...it DOES make me look more Joan Collinsesque tho...

Main View:

Alvis 3.1

Radio compartement. Belly shots will follow shortly!
Oh, and the engine nacelles themselves are hand carved from balsa and covered in many many many layers of Tamiya putty!

Alvis 3.1....and thanks for the kudos!

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.1

And one engine running up...note the spinner and props slowly working their way off the engine shaft!

:P

Alvis 3.1