DoD Whiffing

Started by Svaz, August 16, 2006, 09:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svaz

Looks like the boys at the Pentagon have been snooping on us. That's right! Where else would they get the idea to strap Harpoon anti-shipping missiles and a FLIR to a 737?!

:wub:

One of the guys over at ARC suggested one in Coast Guard colors - now that's cool!

Well, if I can make one early enough it'll be a whif, since it is coming ...

ref 1: http://www.answers.com/topic/p-8-multimiss...ritime-aircraft
ref 2: http://www.navair.navy.mil/mma/index.cfm?m...ontroller.about
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

jcf

They did it before back in the '80s with a 757 based aircraft project that the DoD cancelled as not being needed at that time.

Ollie

That's the P-8, the contract has been given for at least a year.

;)  

Mossie

And it'll probably still be in service before the Nimrod MRA.4!!!

Simon
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jennings

QuoteThat's the P-8, the contract has been given for at least a year.

;)
Oh, far more than that.  Metal has been cut on the first airplane.  I have a good friend who is working on that project and is keeping me as up to date as security will allow him to.  The P-8 is moving ahead smartly.  Well, as smartly as flusing billions of dollars of defense money a month down the toilet in Iraq will allow.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Jennings

QuoteAnd it'll probably still be in service before the Nimrod MRA.4!!!

Simon
Undoubtedly, and regardless of when it's in service, it will have *far* greater capabilities than the Nimrod could ever hope for - and with half the engines.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Ollie

I said at least a year since I didn't knew how long before that it was known.  I was covering my back.  Had I been on Sniperscale, I wouldn't have said a thing.

jcf

A bit more on the 757-200 based P-7 project:
P-7

Cheers, Jon

F-32

My money's on Nimrod....................old stuff rocks! ^_^

It flew over the house during the Farnborough show, quieter than a 737 on approach.....................which was kinda disappointing!

retro_seventies

QuoteUndoubtedly, and regardless of when it's in service, it will have *far* greater capabilities than the Nimrod could ever hope for - and with half the engines.

and with about half the style.

MPV's are more capable that a 69 camaro too, but i know which i would rather have.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

GeorgeC

QuoteMy money's on Nimrod....................old stuff rocks! ^_^

It flew over the house during the Farnborough show, quieter than a 737 on approach.....................which was kinda disappointing!
It was submitted and lost the competition as well

Jennings

QuoteUndoubtedly, and regardless of when it's in service, it will have *far* greater capabilities than the Nimrod could ever hope for - and with half the engines.

and with about half the style.

MPV's are more capable that a 69 camaro too, but i know which i would rather have.
At least 737s have interchangeable parts :)

J

retro_seventies

Each Nimrod MRA4 is handcrafted by artisans to a traditional and secret recipe.
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

nev

And its paint is hand-mixed using only natural ingrediants by amazonian tribes that have yet to be discovered.

Spoke to a Nimrod scopey-dopey at Waddington, he was saying the gaps between the MRA4s new bits and the old bits were as much as 12 inches depending on whether the old bits were built in the summer or winter!  :dum:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteMPV's are more capable that a 69 camaro too, but i know which i would rather have.
Whilst you're over at your local dealership, can you pick me up a 70 Boss 302. In the meantime, we're seeing two or three Nimrod MRA4's coming through BAe Warton per month.

Not nearly as elegant as they were BEFORE the upgrade but stiil impressive.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)