Revell 1/72 - Transall C-160 "First Testshot" Opti

Started by Deino, August 21, 2006, 01:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deino

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

MartG

Is this a repop of the old Heller one, or a new mould ?
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Deino

QuoteIs this a repop of the old Heller one, or a new mould ?
Completely new !!!!!  :wub:  
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

Geoff_B

Looks rather Good and an improvement over the Heller one in terms of detail. Just wonder if the attention to detail can actually over complicate the kit build as was the case with the Atlantic 1.

G

Mossie

Funnily enough I just posted about this in the 'Stash' thread.

I bought the Heller C-160 'Gabrielle' kit yesterday at the Yorkshire Airshow.  Luckily I'm planning to whiff it, I'll use the Tyne engines for my planned Rotodyne Z & the fuselage for the Thunderbird inspired build.  The Gabrielle was the same price as the standard version & the extra sprue with the sigint bits may come in very handy.

The Heller model otherwise seems pretty poor, an easy build on the face of it, but a quick look-see seems to show up some serious fit problems, a badly warped wing, no internal detail & terrible decals.

It may be a more complicated build, but I'd pick up the Revell kit if I was going to build a Transall proper.  The Heller kit might be okay if you wanted a simple build but the fit & warping may make it more difficult anyway & you'd need to source decals from somewhere else if you wanted a good finish.  You probaly won't be able to get it for much longer anyway with Heller going under.

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Does that ever look nice ! And now Ratman can build a Calais in 72nd scale. Who's got an 4x4x8' length of Balsam ?

;)

Looks like it should be a nice build, evwn with all the detail, as the fuselage is all one piece.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Jennings

Are you joking?  The Heller "kit" was a crude toy (only had outer wheel halves - the inner side was hollow!).  This one is, from what I can see, likely to be the nicest 1/72 large aircraft model ever made.  For crying out loud, they've even molded the spoiler wells on top of the wings!!  Amazing.  The interior parts look ultra-detailed.

Why they've wasted this much effort on a Transall is beyond me, when they could have done a C-130H/J and made 1000x as much money with it.  But maybe they'll do one at some point.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Geoff_B

Are you joking?  The Heller "kit" was a crude toy (only had outer wheel halves - the inner side was hollow!).  This one is, from what I can see, likely to be the nicest 1/72 large aircraft model ever made.  For crying out loud, they've even molded the spoiler wells on top of the wings!!  Amazing.  The interior parts look ultra-detailed.

Why they've wasted this much effort on a Transall is beyond me, when they could have done a C-130H/J and made 1000x as much money with it.  But maybe they'll do one at some point.

J
Germany Doesn't use Hercs thats why. Now i do hope they do the A400M to the same standard and scale once the prototype is unveiled.

G

Captain Canada

Naw, Thor...we want our A400 in 144th scale !

But 72nd scale would be nice as well...as long as somebody kits it !

:dum:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jennings

QuoteGermany Doesn't use Hercs thats why. Now i do hope they do the A400M to the same standard and scale once the prototype is unveiled.
HOWEVER... what I read is that they're going to get some pending deliveries (if they ever actually occur) of the A400.  

They'd still sell 1000:1 C-130s over either Transalls *or* A400s.  Which one of those three has been in constant production since 1955?   Which one of those three is flown by pratcially every nation on earth (well, a huge majority anyway)?   Which one of those three has something like 200 different versions?  Which one of those three has had more color schemes than Emelda Marcos has shoes?

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Captain Canada

Now that you guys mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a Herc in GAF markings ! Now that would be sweet !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

oooooooooo, this is soooo good.

I jes LUVS me cargo-twins!    :wub:

Thanks, Deino-----I'll start saving up now.   ;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

LemonJello

Ooooooohhh...take a couple of 1/72 V-22s and I can make a four engined, tilt rotor transport!!!!  I'd rather have one of these in 1/48, as 1/72 makes my eyes twitch and burn something fierce.  

What?  So I like tiltrotors...is that a crime? :blink:  
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

Scooterman

What?  So I like tiltrotors...is that a crime? :blink:
Uh oh.  Do I smell a member title coming? :dum: