B-25 (PBJ) Mitchell

Started by Radish, August 22, 2006, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

What about replacing the radials on the Mitchell with a pair of liquid cooled RR Merlin or Allisons from a pair of P-40s or P-51s?  Not sure how well the P-38 engines would work but that is another possibility and it only requires one kit to get the engines.  Finding space for the necessary radiators for each engine might be a challenge but using the entire forward section from the P-40 or P-51 might be a good start.  Adapting the spinner from the P-40 to fit the larger propellers on the B-25 should be no problem but it might be a challenge trying to come up with a larger four blade propeller for the P-51 spinner unless you happen to have some spare propellers from a Corsair or Skyraider laying around.  Maybe try to use the propellers from a P-61 since they have the spinners included.  So Greg (GTX) if you are reading this anytime soon I expect you to come up with a rough draft of what this beast would look like. ;^)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 17, 2009, 01:51:19 AM
So Greg (GTX) if you are reading this anytime soon I expect you to come up with a rough draft of what this beast would look like. ;^)

Am I so predictable...

How's this?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

If you're putting Merlins or Allisons on (and for low-altitude performance, the Allisons migth be better), why not "borrow from the best" and use leading edge radiators between the engine nacelles and the fuselage as DH did on the Mosquito?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

dogsbody

Why not slap on a pair of R-2800's?
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

kitnut617

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 09, 2007, 12:13:40 PM
Is there a 1/72 scale source of the RR Dart to serve as a donor for the Hase/Revell Mitchell?

One of my patients who has some 40 years of flying experience as a private and commercial pilot said the Mitchell was the noisiest aircraft ever built from a pilot's perspective.    

Thanks,
Daryl J.

Only just come across this thread, Heritage Aviation does a Dart Dakota conversion in 1/72 Daryl
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 18, 2009, 01:26:22 PM
Buried V3420s.  ;D

What an awesome aircraft, pusher and contra-prop to boot.  I've not seen that one before Jon.  Was the V3420 two V-12 joined together ? did they share the same crank ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 18, 2009, 03:10:32 PM
Buried V3420s.  ;D

What an awesome aircraft, pusher and contra-prop to boot.  I've not seen that one before Jon.  Was the V3420 two V-12 joined together ? did they share the same crank ?

Yep, 'twas a twinned Allison V-1710.
The V-3420 was also used in the XP-58 Chain Lightning.

jcf

Quote from: dogsbody on September 18, 2009, 02:39:48 PM
Why not slap on a pair of R-2800's?

NAA did that, 'twas the NA-98X.

Jon

jcf

... and a single-finned R-2800 powered B-25 concept that led to the NA-98X.

This one has always been very tempting.

Jon

Acree

Could a 1/48 Mustang tail serve as a good single tail for a 1/72 Super-Mitchell?  I think it just might work!

Chuck

famvburg

The Eastern Express or Maquette or whatever HP Dart Herald.

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 09, 2007, 12:13:40 PM
Is there a 1/72 scale source of the RR Dart to serve as a donor for the Hase/Revell Mitchell?

One of my patients who has some 40 years of flying experience as a private and commercial pilot said the Mitchell was the noisiest aircraft ever built from a pilot's perspective.    

Thanks,
Daryl J.

rickshaw

Buried V3420s.  ;D

I it would have been a little bit cramped in that nose as its drawn.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

simmie

GTX, how about the Russians re-engining their Mitchells with klimov's?
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

tinlail

I have nothing useful to add. I just thought this thread needed a paint scheme.