B-25 (PBJ) Mitchell

Started by Radish, August 22, 2006, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

I confess to being rather intrigued by the purpose of that central nacelle.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Just call me Ray

Looks to me like it's housing a really big gun.

I for one would probably just move the gun(s) to the noses (double the fun!) and use the central nacelle for some extra engines because this beast looks like it could use them!
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Stargazer

As the twin fuselage configuration forced me to remove the turrets on one side, I thought of this central nacelle to fit two gunners, each looking in opposite ways. The one at the back activates two mobile turrets (one on top and one underneath) while the one at the front operates the cannon. I know, that's kind of crazy!

I must admit I thought the design to be a little weak on power. Perhaps I should consider fitting it with two R-4360 Wasp Majors... That should do the trick, right?

famvburg

What about a third main gear under the central nacelle for the extra weight?

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on September 29, 2009, 11:10:16 AM
As the twin fuselage configuration forced me to remove the turrets on one side, I thought of this central nacelle to fit two gunners, each looking in opposite ways. The one at the back activates two mobile turrets (one on top and one underneath) while the one at the front operates the cannon. I know, that's kind of crazy!

I must admit I thought the design to be a little weak on power. Perhaps I should consider fitting it with two R-4360 Wasp Majors... That should do the trick, right?

kitnut617

Quote from: famvburg on September 30, 2009, 06:14:52 AM

What about a third main gear under the central nacelle for the extra weight?

What about a similar u/c to the XB-42 where it folds away into the fuselage and leave the engine nacelles empty ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Daryl J.

If the bomb bay were removed from a gun nosed B-25J, could a belly pack of 20 mm cannon be fitted with 3 or 4 guns?
Presume the dorsal and tail turrets were removed as well.

TIA,

Daryl J., looking for a reason to send the Mitchell to Vietnam

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 08, 2010, 01:04:28 PM
If the bomb bay were removed from a gun nosed B-25J, could a belly pack of 20 mm cannon be fitted with 3 or 4 guns?
Presume the dorsal and tail turrets were removed as well.

TIA,

Daryl J., looking for a reason to send the Mitchell to Vietnam

You could easily do a P-70 style belly pack, which mounted in the bomb-bay.

http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/92/Draw/11.jpg

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 08, 2010, 01:04:28 PMIf the bomb bay were removed from a gun nosed B-25J, could a belly pack of 20 mm cannon be fitted with 3 or 4 guns?

Daryl,

Like Jon states, there would be plenty of room for what you have in mind. 

The attached image is from the Crowood Book on the B-25 Mitchell that I wanted to share.  It shows a B-25C that was tested with four-bladed propellers.  All that is missing are some spinners to make it look really sleek.  Note that the propeller blades have been clipped to allow ground clearance.  Now I am wondering if the propeller from the Monogram P-47 would fit on the B-25?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Cliffy B

Mmmmmmm 4-blade props  :wub:

Any idea on what the verdict was in the experiment?  Obviously they didn't chose to put them on production models but why?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Cliffy B on August 12, 2010, 07:14:39 PMMmmmmmm 4-blade props  :wub:

Any idea on what the verdict was in the experiment?  Obviously they didn't chose to put them on production models but why?

I agree, more propeller blades = more better. 

I was only thumbing through the pages when I found that image.  The caption was pretty much what I transcribed to the bottom of the attached image above.  When I get an opportunity to set down and read it there may be some more information on why they stuck with the three blade propellers. 

It may have had something to do with availability of the propellers from the manufacturer.  It may also have been a case where the four-blade propeller did not demonstrate any appreciable increase in performance over the Curtiss propellers. 

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Daryl J.

Oh yeah!  4 blades and spinners.   :thumbsup:

rickshaw

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 12, 2010, 10:03:45 PM
It may have had something to do with availability of the propellers from the manufacturer.  It may also have been a case where the four-blade propeller did not demonstrate any appreciable increase in performance over the Curtiss propellers. 

More than likely vibration problems.  Often when tested with non-standard props aircraft would be found to have real problems with vibration.  I suspect its because they had become "tuned" during construction with the original props and so the new, different ones unbalanced the shaft in some way.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

Thread necromancy!

Is there a location wherein I can find B-25 serials?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

Quote from: scooter on October 16, 2019, 10:02:41 AM
Thread necromancy!

Is there a location wherein I can find B-25 serials?

The same place as the C-47 serials:
http://joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/usafserials.html