Soviet late and post WW2 Hellcat

Started by Joe C-P, August 23, 2006, 11:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

After attempting to use their own aircraft on their Lend-Lease carriers, the Soviet Navy admitted to itself they needed modern carrier-capable aircraft, and so demanded the same from their capitalist allies.

The USN sent a dozen Hellcat fighters, enough to equip both CVEs with a flight of 5 each, plus a spare. The Soviet Navy pilots quickly came to appreciate their new aircraft, stating that their reliability and sturdiness were nearly worthly of Russian work.

Recognizing the value of such an aircraft type, the Soviet Navy began building "improved" versions, which served until the late 1940s.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

proditor

Kurlan Naiskos

I'm very much interested in Lend-Lease aircraft in the USSR, and this is a very interesting idea !  COOL !

if I may offer a few suggestions....
I don't think the top/sides would have been left unpainted, the Soviets used camo till the end of the war.
also they weren't using stars on the upper wings this late in the war.
not trying to burst your bubble, just offering suggestions on standard practices in the USSR at the time.

Joe C-P

I had seen what I thought was bare metal in late-war photos, but they were black-and-white.

I have a couple near-post-war models, and they have the stars on the upper wings, so I went with that. However, I think I could blank out the uppers to make it more accurate.

I have two more to build, that "pre-date" this one. One's a similar story to this, the other is based on an aircraft captured by the Soviets.

Thanks for the compliments!

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

That's a nice one Joe, simple idea exceptionally well done
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

anthonyp

(Soviet Anthem plays on a phonograph in the background...)

COMRADES!!!

Is GLORIOUS day in GREAT Soviet Union!

This wonderful example of a Soviet piloted figther will strike fear and other negative emotions in the lazy West!!

What?  WHAT?!  This is a product of the decadent West?  What madness is this?  Comrade, surly, you are mistaken.  No motherland respecting pilot would DARE be caught alive in the cockpit of such a running dog, yet attractive, aircraft!  Tovarish, you are feverish.  You have been without The Vodka for some time.  Here, take my bottle, it will nourish and numb you (for your trip to scenic Siberia...).

Comrades, truly an overcoming of Western design and engineering!  Only a pilot that was a Worker could bring the true potential out of such a poor fighter.  The Order of Lenin is to be sent to your piloting schools, Commisar Iosef P!

ZA RODINA!!!!

Comrade Captain Anatoly Iosef Pakizorich, Naval Aviation Bureau
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Kurlan Naiskos

I like your quote from "the Ballad of the Edmund Fitzgerald"....

B777LR

Quote(for your trip to scenic Siberia...).
And lots of zengdefu kits  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUWf58vX4E

nev

Simple, yet effective  B)

Which kit btw?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Joe C-P

QuoteSimple, yet effective  B)

Which kit btw?
Some Eastern European kit, nothing expensive. The decals came from another kit, of a YaK-15, from another similar company.

Brian da Basher

Coming late to this one, but I like it! I like it!!!

Very plausible indeed and a wonderfully sweet, cleen build. Looks very sharp in that NMF and red stars.

Brian da Basher

rallymodeller

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Joe C-P

Sniff...

Comrade rallymodeler, I am truly touched at your tribute to the great work of our Communist brethren. I salute your patriotism. Up the Revolution!

Commissar Iosef R