Canadian Navy Colours Question

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, August 30, 2006, 04:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Guys
I have a 'maple' topic in mind - no hints, so don't ask ! - It will be a 1:48 What If Canadian Navy aircraft circa 1951. My question:

In that time period would they be in the two-grey scheme like the Avengers, Firflies and Sea Furies or had the schemes changed to something else entirely - I get a wee bit confused with Canadian Navy stuff  :unsure:

Thanks guys

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Jennings

It just so happens that someone on this board (ahem...) has just had published an article on this VERY topic!  Isn't that a co-inky-dink?

The Canadians (so far as can be ascertained) ALWAYS used two tone greys.  Any other colors (RN Sky for instance) were anomalous.  The colors you want are glossy (and I do mean glossy) versions of FS 36373 and 36118.

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Captain Canada

I think the only different colour we had was dark blue, but that was only on the as-delivered Avengers. They were quickly repainted in that glorious two-gray scheme.....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

I'll check my Leo Pettipas books.

Jennings

QuoteI'll check my Leo Pettipas books.
No need.  Leo worked closely with me (held my hand) on the Sea Fury article.  Not for him, it wouldn't exist.  Lots of stuff in his books has been superceded by more recent findings anyway.

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Captain Canada

I've got all those Leo Petipas books, and they are pretty sweet. Nothing in colour, tho. And quite a few of the photos really tell you nowt.

Isn't Pat Martin coming out with a RCN Colours and Markings book to go along with his RCAF and CAF books ?

Can't wait to see what you're building, IHG !

:party:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jennings

QuoteI think the only different colour we had was dark blue, but that was only on the as-delivered Avengers. They were quickly repainted in that glorious two-gray scheme.....
Well, if you except the several dozen Sea Furies that were delivered in RN colors (EDSG over Sky) :)

J

Ollie

I'll check them nonetheless, ok?