Bernard 20 C1 lightweight fighter

Started by ffrbel, August 30, 2006, 02:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffrbel

Hello,

In my search for a simple and easy aircraft to turn in to a profile I found this probably unknown aircraft from the twenties and thirties, the Bernard 20 C1.

The Bernard 20 C1 was one of four competitors in the "Jockey" lightweight fighter programme from 1926 held in France. It was the aerodynamically most advanced aircraft of the four. Louis Béchereau designed it. A Hispano-Suiza 400 hp engine powered it. The max speed of the aeroplane was 305 km/h (189 m/h) at sea level and 320 km/h (199 m/h) at 5000 m (6400 ft). But none of the four aircraft where selected as none where found to have sufficient performance, range and useful load.

Offcourse in the Whiff world this aircraft came out this competition as the winner. It became a well-produced aircraft used by several countries up to the start of World War II.

I have added the first blank template to my web site. It's zipped, unzipped it's a BMP image that can be coloured in MS Paint. I have also added the original PSD files used in Adobe Photoshop to make the first template.

My web site: http://users.pandora.be/filsoft

Greetings,
Filipfr

Archibald

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

The Rat

Ooooooh... That's actually a good looking bit o' work!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

I love those early French all metal mono planes  :wub:  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

All it needs are spats! :wub:

I love spats! :wub:

Brian da Basher

P.S. Give it spats and an enclosed canopy and it's reminiscent of my Shorts Stiletto.  

ffrbel

Hello,

In response to Archibald: yes, it's this aircraft. This is a nice picture showing much more details that the pictures in my copy of 'AIR Enthusiast quarterly NR. 3'. I had been searching the net with Google but I only found a reference for an article (or mention) in an issue of 'Le fanatique de l'aviation', with I haven't in my collection.

In response to Brian da Basher: I was pretty sure you would love to see this with spats, I originally thought of mentioning this but it was getting late and so I left it for you. I will try to add spats to the template, I would love to do a closed cockpit version as also a two-seater version (Ok it's a small airplane, but people where a lot smaller in the 20's and 30's (I think, if I look at cars from that period...). I found out  that your Shorts Stilleto looks like the Hawker Fury monoplane project shown in the same magazine (AIR Enthusiast).

I'm now working on the upper plan template. When I did one wing and tailplane I flipped the wing and tailplane horizontally. I was surprised to see that they didn't match the drawing I used for making the template. I was thinking that at least the wings and tailplanes would be symmetrical (anyhow that's how they will be on my template). Am I wrong or is the original drawing wrong?

Greetings,
FilipFr

Brian da Basher

Sometimes the wings are not symmetrical. This is done to help counteract torque. I'm sure one of the engineers on here could spell out the formulas, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing something of that Hawker Fury monoplane project. It's odd how sometimes you end out whiffing something you never knew about and then discover there were plans for something similar.

Brian da Basher

lancer

QuoteOoooooh... That's actually a good looking bit o' work!
I agree, it is a nice looking aircraft. It can't be French though, too pretty. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die