F-106 Delta Dart

Started by uk 75, September 01, 2006, 01:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

QuoteI know the D&S book on the F-106 shows some alternate radar fits considered, including a trials aircraft for the F-15 radar (now that'd make quite an upgrade package, too).
Does it involve enlarging the nose radome (potentially destroying the elegant line of the Delta Dart)?

Otherwise...... hell yeah!  Maybe throw in an upgraded AIM-26B as well.
All three radar changes (F-106C/D. F-106E/F, and F-15 radar testbed) result in a lengthened fuselage.  But the clean lines of the Dart seem to have been well preserved; the F-106C/D being by far the most radical of these changes.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

QuoteI know the D&S book on the F-106 shows some alternate radar fits considered, including a trials aircraft for the F-15 radar (now that'd make quite an upgrade package, too).
Does it involve enlarging the nose radome (potentially destroying the elegant line of the Delta Dart)?

All three radar changes (F-106C/D. F-106E/F, and F-15 radar testbed) result in a lengthened fuselage.  But the clean lines of the Dart seem to have been well preserved; the F-106C/D being by far the most radical of these changes.
QuoteF-15 radar testbed

What do you mean, a F-106 was used to test the F-15 radar ? :wub:  I want to see this aircraft!!!  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

Quote* F-106X - apparently this included canards and revised intakes;
Found this pic, looks similar to Viggen.  Apparently the F-106X was a competitor to the YF-12 & would have been capapble of Mach 5.

See this site, there's also a brief description.
http://www.lorrey.biz/x-106/vision.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archangel

QuoteOnce again, the one thing I can think of is to adopt a pair of droptanks similar to those used by Mirage III/5/50- I mean those with hardpoints on them.

Then throw in XAIM-4H.  Internally-carried AA weapons plus droptank-mounted surface attack stores.
I thought about this too. I mean how cool would it look to have an F-106 as a bomb truck. Also you could swap put the makrings of a Mirage to put on an F-106 so you could have an Israeli F-106 in BMF and loaded with bombs and missiles.

elmayerle

QuoteF-15 radar testbed

What do you mean, a F-106 was used to test the F-15 radar ? :wub:  I want to see this aircraft!!!
It was a proposed testbed, never built, that fitted the F-15's radome and radar to the F-106.  It looks rather attractive in the side and top views in the D&S book.  If you want, I can scan and email the drawings to you.

Archibald

QuoteF-15 radar testbed

It was a proposed testbed, never built, that fitted the F-15's radome and radar to the F-106.  It looks rather attractive in the side and top views in the D&S book.  If you want, I can scan and email the drawings to you.
I want! Sounds very interesting, the nose of the F-15 looks waaay better than the F-106 one. And there's a pile of F-15 and F-106 kits at the LHS...
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

GTX

Wasn't there a 4 or 6 seat F-106 derivative posted a while back here?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

I know there was a proposed "Staff Transport" version written up in an issue of APR.

Daryl J.

Beyond paint schemes, I simply cannot whiff a six.  ^_^

True story involving the F-106:   Eastern Montana where we grew up is a low level training area for primarily the USAF but also Canada on occasion and rarely, other air forces.  Being a farmer since the 1950's, my dad watched the neighbor boy grow up, graduate, and become a F-106 driver.   As it turned out, Steve would train right over his own home.  That meant he knew virtually every farmer, and every tractor around.   Which also meant they were his target.  ^_^

My dad is a hair trigger jumpy person by nature.  One day he came home rather white and still a little shakey.  "I got STEVED!!!!" ....then he laughed.   Nearly everyone got 'Steved' in that little area.   He'd approach a tractor from behind off power, just miss the cab, and pull up going to full afterburner.   The solitary world of the farmer suddenly exploded with a windshield full of F-106 and all the necessary thunder with it.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

The community loved him for it.

IIRC, he flew for the 5th FIS, the Spitten Kittens out of Minot AFB.

Daryl J., who got a wing waggle from a 106 one day.   I ran outside in my pj's when the turbojet was still in the distance and waved both arms as he flew about 75' agl and saw him look down at me.   The pilot turned a 360, came back across just south of the house rocking his wings.   It made my day.  :wub:    

The lead plane 0003 is the machine that waved to me.

But, at that time the flash had been changed to this:

And were they ever shiny.

imatt88

How about mounting smaller fuel tanks on the top of the wings, like the Lightnings used to do, leaving more room underneath the wings for stores....... ;D

Just a thought.......

Cheers,   Ian

imatt88

I just picked up an Aeromaster RAF/RN F-4 Smokers decal sheet for my Whif RAF F-106.

I'm penciling in the panel lines for my Whif RCAF F-106 right now.  I hope to be done soon.

I'll try and post pics soon.... ;D

It looks like the F-106X used F-15 intakes and nose.  I'm sure the canards could just be cut from sheet stock and added on...

Could it be used in the ground attack role, or just for high speed interception?  You sure don't need a Mach 5 aircraft for ground attack......

How about removing the guts from the missle bay on the F-106X, and replacing it with some kind of rotary bomb rack....?

any thoughts........ ;D

Cheers,   Ian

Mossie

I've got a feeling that the Mach 5 capability probably relates to the aerodynamic potential.  Airframe wise, it'd need some very expensive engineering to stop it melting at those speeds & I think Mach 2.5-3 is more likely for an operational machine.  Delta's are pretty suited to low level ops & a machine with a down rated engine might be very capable as a multi-role aircraft.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

imatt88

Mossie,

yeah, I always thought that the mach 5 rating for the Six-X was a tad high. :o 

If the Mirage can be used for ground attack, then why not the Six?  Bascially the designs are the same...

the IDF always takes equipment and make it better, I could see the Six being used by them in the same role as the Mirage was....

cheers,   Ian

Archangel

Quote from: imatt88 on January 20, 2008, 08:49:17 AM

Mossie,

yeah, I always thought that the mach 5 rating for the Six-X was a tad high. :o 

If the Mirage can be used for ground attack, then why not the Six?  Bascially the designs are the same...

the IDF always takes equipment and make it better, I could see the Six being used by them in the same role as the Mirage was....

cheers,   Ian

In this vain I could see the IDF taking the F-106 and making the same modifications to it that they did to their Mirages to make the Kfirs.

Archibald

An interesting idea! Replace the J-75 by a F-110, add Israeli avionics and A2G weapons...  :wub:
Israeli strike Mirages were basically Mirage IIIC fitted with bomb racks and used in daylight attacks. So you can probably keep the MG-10 as is it - just don't use it!-