F-106 Delta Dart

Started by uk 75, September 01, 2006, 01:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

A quick note about the definition of "Intercept Radius": It generally assumes that the aircraft will be flying from a certain airbase (on a point-defense mission, say, New Jersey), flying X miles to an intercept point at supersonic speed, a certain amount of loitering at the intercept point (usually considered about 15 minutes of loiter time), and the return leg to the launch airbase flown at subsonic speeds; therefore the radii are asymmetrical. Also remember the F-106 was equipped for boom-refuelling.

The F-106 was designed to use SAGE -- on the aircraft the SAGE antennae are the two small blade antennae located in-line somewhere near the arrestor hook. Since it was designed to operate in the SAGE environment working with a ground controller, there would be no need for an onboard radar operator -- the GC vectors the fighter to the targets. If the F-106 were to be given a superior radar, say, the AWG-9 -- then an onboard RIO would be needed.

Actually, there's an interesting idea: a two-hole Dart with AWG-9 and Phoenixes on underfuselage pallets. 

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Mossie

Thanks Duncan, not an F-106 then, but v.cool. :ph34r:

Jeremey, the F-106X was slated to carry Phoenix or AIM-47 in it's role as an F-12 alternative.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rallymodeller

I was actually thinking something along the lines of an F-106X "Lite". No super speed, just a missile truck with F-14-style Phoenix pallets on the underside.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

tigercat2

Here are a couple of "poor man's" F-106 Whifs; the black one has wing racks for bombs in place of the external tanks, and a weapons bay full of 500 pounders.

Wes W.

KJ_Lesnick

Tigercat2,

So you're saying that a F-106 could physically mount a 500-pounder in the left and right bays?  (The center bay I would want to put a gun in there for the WHIF idea)

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

tigercat2

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on May 28, 2009, 08:39:57 AM
Tigercat2,

So you're saying that a F-106 could physically mount a 500-pounder in the left and right bays?  (The center bay I would want to put a gun in there for the WHIF idea)

In my What if world, that is no problem!!  I filled the missile bay with bombs (you can't see them in the photo), and I believe there were 6 total, plus the bombs on the MERs under the wings.  Good idea for the gun, however; I believe that is where the "six shooter" gun was installed in our real world.

I have always admired the "six" for being one of the "purest" aircraft used by the USAF.  In our world, they had essentially the same mission for the entire operational life, had one operational paint scheme (ADC grey with unit markings) , and were never modified for air to ground, recce or any other mission. 

I do recall seeing a photo of one or two Sixes with an Air Superiority scheme a few years ago, I beleive it was done after they came our of overhaul at McClellan AFB.

Wes W.

Weaver

The Sharpshooter gun pod was installed in place of the Genie, i.e. in the middle of the bay at the back.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

Could two AIM-7's be flush-mounted along the side of the rear fuselage (e.g. would it get in the way of the gear?)

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Shasper

You could put a brace of Sparrows back there.

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

KJ_Lesnick

Shasper,

Would that have any serious drag penalty issues?

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 04, 2009, 07:28:34 PM
Shasper,

Would that have any serious drag penalty issues?

I'm not an expert, but I think as long as they have the flush mounting as seen on the Tornado ADV, F-4, F-14, etc... It won't have significant penalties. the above mentioned Aircraft seem to not have any problems.

:cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

A couple of Sparrows there shouldn't cause a drag problem. They might have a separation problem though (like AMRAAMs on F-15 rear fuse stations) depending on the nature of the local flow field. It's probably one of those things you can't predict theoretically (aerodynamics still has something of the black arts about it), so you just have to tunnel-test/test-fly it and find out the old-fashioned way.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

Weaver,

How did they deal with the separation issues with the rear AIM-120 mounts on the F-15?

KJ Lesnick

anthonyp

Quote from: Weaver on August 05, 2009, 04:02:01 AM
It's probably one of those things you can't predict theoretically (aerodynamics still has something of the black arts about it), so you just have to tunnel-test/test-fly it and find out the old-fashioned way.

Don't you know it.  Didn't they increase the force the ejectors used on the aft stations to launch AMRAAMs?  You know, when in doubt, [Tim Allen]MORE POWER!!!!![/Tim Allen]
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Weaver

Quote from: anthonyp on August 05, 2009, 03:17:01 PM
Quote from: Weaver on August 05, 2009, 04:02:01 AM
It's probably one of those things you can't predict theoretically (aerodynamics still has something of the black arts about it), so you just have to tunnel-test/test-fly it and find out the old-fashioned way.

Don't you know it.  Didn't they increase the force the ejectors used on the aft stations to launch AMRAAMs?  You know, when in doubt, [Tim Allen]MORE POWER!!!!![/Tim Allen]

Yes I think that was the solution, but don't hold me to it. An AMRAAM's about 100lb lighter than a Sparrow and that was enough to make the difference between punching through the local airflow and bouncing off it.

- Indiana Jones