F-106 Delta Dart

Started by uk 75, September 01, 2006, 01:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Jeffry Fontaine,

QuoteI was browsing Patrick McGee's web page on the F-106 and one of the sections dealt with models of the F-106.  I found a set of images at the bottom of the page that show what appear to be a model of the F-106 built by Convair.  It is a large model and the contents contained in the shipping case show three configurations for the nose, canopy, and weapons.  Also of interest is the addition of another wing pylon inboard of the main pylon that was standard on the F-106.

That's an amazing model!  *drools*

QuoteNow I am quite familiar with the original single and two seat versions, but the addition parts in the box for the nose and canopy do create some interesting WHIF possibilities for the F-106 that I had not considered.  The extra wing pylons certainly allow for increased capabilities and the options for other fire control systems and radars also gets the creative WHIF juices flowing

What other kinds of radar and fire-control systems were available?   

QuoteAs you can see from the second and third images, there are a lot of extra parts and pieces in the box.  Some of these things are very easy to recognize such as the AIM-4, AIR-2, AIM-9 and AIM-7 weapons.  So what does this all mean?  For me, it means that there is now some new possible weapons and aircraft combinations that I had not considered before.

I am now starting to like the idea of an F-106 armed with AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-9 Sidewinders, this would make an interesting conversion, especially with the AIM-7 carried on wing pylons and the AIM-9 carried internally.  Other options that spring to mind are a conventional fighter bomber version with bombs carried internally and fuel tanks on the outboard pylons and a pair of AIM-9 Sidewinders carried on the inboard pylons.

I've already covered this before, but I'm thinking of the exact opposite idea of putting two AIM-7's in the internal bays -- they'll fit as to the best of my knowledge they are the same size as the AMRAAM (which a modified F-106 fired at least once), and put AIM-9's on that extra wing-pylon (Don't know if you can only put 1 x AIM-9 on each pylon or 2 x AIM-9's on each pylon) and fit a set of braces to carry 2 x AIM-7's on the aft part of the fuselage without getting in the way of the landing-gear or landing-gear doors (I'm not sure if the weapons bays can tolerate the 500 pound weight of an AIM-7, or if having two AIM-7's so far aft on the fuselage would mess with the plane's CG and produce a pitch-up tendency).  Then you take the gunpack from the later sharpshooter modification and you got yourself an F-106 that can intercept and dogfight. 

Considering the original supersonic tanks could carry 227 gallons which weighs 1,000 lbs, and the later 360 gallon tanks (which I'm not sure if the capacity was increased because of a structural mod, or simply due to a new tank design that produces similar drag with higher fuel capacity) which weigh in a little under 1,600 lbs (not counting the weight of the tank itself).  That would give you a total of 2,000 lbs to 3,600 lbs of external bombs.  Not particularly impressive by TAC standards, but I don't know how much each tank weighs by itself, and I don't know what the inboard pylons could carry.  If it could carry 2,000 and the outboards carrying 3,600 you'd be carrying 5,600 lbs of bombs which is comparable to the F-8 Crusader.  You'd still be able to physically mount 4 x AIM-7's in the plane (which is another 2,000 lbs of weight) assuming the gears could hold the weight or the plane could structurally manage it.  That would not be unimpressive. 

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 21, 2009, 12:40:51 PM
QuoteNow I am quite familiar with the original single and two seat versions, but the addition parts in the box for the nose and canopy do create some interesting WHIF possibilities for the F-106 that I had not considered.  The extra wing pylons certainly allow for increased capabilities and the options for other fire control systems and radars also gets the creative WHIF juices flowing

What other kinds of radar and fire-control systems were available?
I have no idea.  There was no mention of any specific fire control systems or other RADAR equipment for the F-106 on that page.  If the F-106 had been fitted with any other RADAR or fire control system it would have to have been something that was currently available or in development at the time.  Just look at the fire control systems of other aircraft of that period.  I would certainly consider the electronics from F-4 Phantom as  prime candidate since it carried the Sparrow and Sidewinder and there was the earlier Demon and Cutlass that were single seat aircraft armed with the Sparrow so it would be possible to see a similar set up for the F-106. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

KJ_Lesnick

Dear Jeff,

How did the antenna diameter of the F-106's radar compare with the F-4's radar antenna diameter?

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 21, 2009, 05:17:18 PMHow did the antenna diameter of the F-106's radar compare with the F-4's radar antenna diameter?
The F-4 Phantom has had approximately fifteen different RADAR systems associated with the airframe over the course of its development, manufactuer, and subsequent upgrades to extend service life.  Antenna diameter ranged from 24.0" to 32.0" for the various systems installed on the F-4 airframe. The F-106 RADAR (aka MA-1) antenna appears to be about 24.0" in diameter.  No dimension data was found to validate this. 

AN/APQ-50 --- 24.0" diameter antenna. 
AN/APG-59 --- 32.0" diameter antenna.
AN/APG-65 --- 24.0" diameter antenna.
AN/APG-66J --- 24.5" x 27.4" antenna.
AN/APQ-72 --- 30.0" diameter antenna.
AN/APG-76 --- unknown dimensions.
AN/APQ-99 --- unknown dimensions.
AN/APQ-100 --- 30.0" diameter antenna.
AN/APQ-109 --- 30.0" diameter antenna.
AN/APQ-120 ---  24.5" x 27.4"
AN/APQ-172 --- unknown dimensions
AN/AWG-10 --- 30.0" diameter antenna.
AN/AWG-11 --- 30.0" diameter antenna.
AN/AWG-12 --- 30.0" diameter antenna.
AN/AWG-14 --- 30.0" diameter antenna.

References:
456th Fighter Interceptor Squadron
456th FIS - RADAR and Avionics page
Scramble - Dutch Aviation Society
Andreas Parsch' Designation System Pages
AN/AWA to AN/AYW - Equipment Listing
AN/APQ - Equipment Listing
Greg Goebel's Air Vectors
Greg Goebel's Air Vectors - The McDonnell F-4 Phantom
Wikipedia - List of RADARs
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

KJ_Lesnick

I did not know the F-4 had so many different radars

KJ_Lesnick

Just out of curiousity, regarding the F-102's that served in Vietnam, and the F-106's with the sharpshooter modification, how did they manage to reduce the workload of the aircraft?

I remember the F-102 and F-106's radar and fire control systems were extremely complicated and not user friendly and required a high pilot-workload. 

KJ Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

Rally Modeller,

QuoteA quick note about the definition of "Intercept Radius": It generally assumes that the aircraft will be flying from a certain airbase (on a point-defense mission, say, New Jersey), flying X miles to an intercept point at supersonic speed, a certain amount of loitering at the intercept point (usually considered about 15 minutes of loiter time), and the return leg to the launch airbase flown at subsonic speeds; therefore the radii are asymmetrical. Also remember the F-106 was equipped for boom-refuelling.

When you say supersonic, do you mean full speed, or a lower supersonic velocity?  Also, do you mean supersonic without burner or with burners engaged?

KJ Lensick

Devil_505

Would it be too much of a stretch to envision a Six with an F135 engine?

elmayerle

Only if you enlarged the intakes.  The F135 needs a rather higher mass flow than the J75.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Devil_505

I guess it would be a bit much.  Maybe an F110-GE-132 and a Kfir-style ram inlet in the base of the tail.

Add the F-102's rocket launchers, but with the laser-guided Hydra 70s.

norseman

Quote from: XV107 on August 23, 2008, 01:54:00 PM
Sorry to cut across your query, KJ_L, but as Joe has looked in...

Joe, in your searches at the PRO, have you encountered any evidence to suggest that the RAF attempted to obtain F-106s? I have various bits of hearsay evidence that suggest that the RAF ended up with the Thor IRBM when it actually wanted the '106...

IIRC, the idea was that the USAF would base Thor here and the RAF would provide air defence with a mix of F-106 provided under MDAP and nuclear Bloodhound. I have seen evidence from the AHB that the US became so concerned about the state of the UK's air defence in the late 50s that it offered a wing's worth of F-86D to the RAF as an interim step before these 70-odd airframes were replaced with F-100 or possibly another century-series aircraft (dependent upon whether a day fighter to complement the Lightning or an all-weather fighter to replace Javelin was preferred), but obviously nothing came of it.

I believe that there are some files in the archives that suggest RAF interest in the -106, but the stories I've heard from some generally reliable sources suggest that it was a keen interest which went slightly awry when the RAF ended up with the Thors it had hoped to defence with new aeroplanes...

I have heard of this as well and even though it was a bit of a black hole from the MOD regarding this I think it went further than most people realise and it was a figure of around 150 aircraft and possibly making use of the RR RB.122 engine giving approx 30,000lb reheat thrust. I don't know if any of this ever went beyond discussion or actual technical studies were done but my ex RR friend remembers it being talked about in a "back of the fag packet" way about fitting this engine.

It is a plane I would have loved to have seen in RAF colours and one of the few planes I have actually tried to model into a what if many many years ago with my own fairly bodged fit of canards, an attempt at stealthier intakes and a V tale. Lost this it in a moving house accident but will have a dredge to see if I have an old photo of it. My idea was having a stealthier 2 seat long range interceptor in the vein of the Tornado ADV but much more suited to long range supersonic cruise. My engine idea was to make use of the later model non afterburning version of the Olympus that was mooted for the B model of the Concorde which was canned, this gave over 40,000lb thrust dry with a possible growth path to 45,00lb.

Mossie

Spinners has done some F-106's or his Strike Fighters game, I'm sure I've seen plastic RAF Delta Darts but I can't find them.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Found the Advanced F-106 project with 'Sky Scorcher'  missile on Secret Projects & Orionblamblams Unwanted Blog, via Secret projects.  Similar to the F-106 X, but with noticable differences.
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=4514

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on January 25, 2010, 04:39:56 AM
Found the Advanced F-106 project with 'Sky Scorcher'  missile on Secret Projects & Orionblamblams Unwanted Blog, via Secret projects.  Similar to the F-106 X, but with noticable differences.
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=4514

A megaton yield air-to-air missile? What were they smoking?

I just love the assumption that underpinned the nuke A-to-A missile programs:
that the Soviets would attack in an über-version of a WWII USAAF European-campaign
bomber formation.  :blink: