Started by uk 75, September 01, 2006, 01:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

What about a JASDF F-106?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

KJ_Lesnick

Tell me if this would not be completely and totally bad-donkey...

- Basic design to be like an F-106B

- Guy in back to be weapons system officer

- MG-1 replaced with a modified APQ-50 -w- 24-inch radome (if it's range is superior to the MG-1)

- Internal weapons bay either removed with the exception of the area a gun-pack would occupy in the sharpshooter mods, and the rest of the weapons bay replaced with fuel, or the internal weapons bay removed completely and replaced with fuel to compensate for any fuel-reduction brought on by having a tandem cockpit.

- 4 x AIM-7's flush-mounted on the fuselage

- Rather than having a single pylon on the wing, having two pylons on each wing, perhaps one could be attachable/detachable.  One would carry a fuel-tank, the other would carry a double-mount like the F-4's have and would carry 2 x AIM-9 on the pylon (a total of four).  Possibly provision to carry bombs on the four-wing pylons in an air-to-ground load-out.

- Idle thrust reducer removed, and a thrust reverser put in that place (when stowed it would basically act like the idle thrust reducer, when engaged, it would be like the J-37 Viggen).

- Leading-edge flaps and drooping elevons to allow lower landing-speeds with the same alphas, or the same landing-speeds with a lower alpha.

It would be able to do what the F-106A could do, it would have reduced work-load, the weapons armament would be better and more versatile, and it could land on shorter fields

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 25, 2010, 08:56:40 AM
Quote from: Mossie on January 25, 2010, 04:39:56 AM
Found the Advanced F-106 project with 'Sky Scorcher'  missile on Secret Projects & Orionblamblams Unwanted Blog, via Secret projects.  Similar to the F-106 X, but with noticable differences.
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=4514

A megaton yield air-to-air missile? What were they smoking?

I just love the assumption that underpinned the nuke A-to-A missile programs:
that the Soviets would attack in an über-version of a WWII USAAF European-campaign
bomber formation.  :blink:

Errr, that wasn't the thinking which underpinned USAF development of nuclear air-to-air missiles.  What underpinned their development was their relative cheapness and effectiveness versus the missile homing systems then in use.  A Genie didn't need to hit the target, just get close enough to use the massive shockwave to knock it out of the sky while also frying its systems and its crew.

If you wish to see the assumption you're describing, just look at British fighter development in the 1950s! ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

John Carr Farrelly,

QuoteA megaton yield air-to-air missile? What were they smoking?

Maui Wowie with Labrador...

Rickshaw,

QuoteErrr, that wasn't the thinking which underpinned USAF development of nuclear air-to-air missiles.

Actually, that was largely the thinking behind the development of nuclear air-to-air missiles which implies a guided self-propelled weapon.

QuoteWhat underpinned their development was their relative cheapness and effectiveness versus the missile homing systems then in use.

Well, in regards to guidance systems, the GAR-11/AIM-26, and GAR-9/AIM-47 both utilized guidance systems as well as a nuclear-warhead, so money was obviously spent to develop them, so there wasn't a price-tag reduction.  It's true that you would have a much higher probability of a kill with a nuke, but some of these weapons did have guidance systems in addition to nuclear weapons.

QuoteA Genie didn't need to hit the target, just get close enough to use the massive shockwave to knock it out of the sky while also frying its systems and its crew.

The Genie is not a missile, it's a rocket -- it's unguided.  That was developed, at least partially, to avoid the complexity of a sophisticated guidance system, by simply producing a big enough explosion to only require the missile to be fired in the general direction of the target to be able to take the plane out.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Cobra

ever see the Movie 'Gamera the Invincible'? the Strategic Fighter that was seen on Patrol was an F-106! you might be able to check it out on youtube to see what i mean.Dan

GTX

Pure rocket '106:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Chris707

Besides the poor PK of the early AAMs, there was also the need to ensure the destruction of the weapons being carried by the bomber - the early nukes were pretty sturdy looking things, and might have survived the carrier airframe being shredded, and with salvage fusing would still do damage wherever they ended up falling.

Hmm.. a pure rocket Dart! You could have it carried to altitude under a B-58B (you'd need the extra thrust to deal with extra weight) and launch it to engage exo-atomospheric targets, or as a recce platform. Of course, you'd need NF-104 style RCS thrusters, some manner of heat shielding...

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

thundereagle1997

Would this be a perfect design for an F-16 replacement Zero-Sen?
https://www.deviantart.com/armoredryukenshi1984/art/F-53A-view-X-930754798

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

thundereagle1997

What I mean the intakes of the F-20 close mounted canard foreplanes for better high and low speed control similar in design to the stol f-15 canted vertical tails a conventional horizontal tailplane and a robust 360 degree bubble canopy with cannons mounted on the sides of the fuselage
Like this
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kristofmeunier.fr%2FF-16drwB_ak.jpg&hash=be76ddfb64cec5bd1b90ded5aabcd8a3693c98e2

Captain Canada

Thanks guys. Time flies as fast as a 106 without a pilot !  ;D
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Sorry Captain, didn't see your original query: been a bit busy.

Yep, old post: things don't last forever on the internet... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones