Hobby Boss Kits

Started by Radish, September 10, 2006, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Dragon

Here's the HobbyBoss page for it Mossie. http://hobbyboss.com/87239.htm

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Mossie

Thanks Paul!

Should be able to build pretty much every model of naval Lynx now with those.  I find there's nothing wrong with the Airfix Lynx, it's got a few minor flaws, but nothing serious.  These are welcome, as long HobbyBoss aren't having one of their off days.  Hope they do some Army versions to complete the family, those have been neglected over the years.  Oh, and a Future Lynx, in time!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Aircav

A 1/48 Lynx would be nice  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

Surprised you haven't gone for the Accurate Armour 1/35 jobbie Steve - that must have one helluva big (and heavy!) box ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Green Dragon

Aircav, there was a rumour I read recently on one of the sites I visit (can't remember which!) that said there is one in 1/48th being planned as a joint venture by two European model companies but they didn't say who.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

nev

Would guess that at least on of them would have to be Revell (as part of their ongoing plan to kit every aircraft Germany has ever used, ever. And the other will either be Airfix (GB subject) or Italeri (history of co-operation with Revell).
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Quote from: nev on February 01, 2009, 07:22:49 AM
Surprised you haven't gone for the Accurate Armour 1/35 jobbie Steve - that must have one helluva big (and heavy!) box ;)

Hi Nev
one thing is the price and the other is that for some reason it just doesn't look right.

Paul, I've heard the same rumour but I'm still waiting.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Green Dragon

New 1/72nd stuff on the IPMS Germany Nurmeberg list http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2009/Nuernberg_2009.html are the Rafale B, C & M (should be full kits as numbers are 872** series) Mil Mi2 Hoplite (4 versions) and three of the Lynx have a release date of Feb 09! (HAS.3, Mk.88 and Super Lynx not sure if these are the right versions as even Hobbyboss keep mixing and changing decals, versions and boxart on their site).
Sprue shots of the UH-1F are on Scale Rotors http://www.scale-rotors.com/news-reviews/hobbyboss/uh-1f-huey-87230

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Modellversium has sprue pics of the US Coastguard HH-60J Jayhawk. (page translated by babelfish)
Only one serial number on the decal sheet, think I would have added a load of numbers so you could do any of the fleet if I was designing the sheet.

Paul Harrison

***edited to provide links to actual page and the tranlated page***

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Modellversium have posted a look in the box of the Lynx Mk88 kit, looks very nice to me but I'm not an expert so can't say how accurate everything is. Includes two types of torpedoes and Sea Skua missiles. http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=slv&lp=xx_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.modellversium.de%2fkit%2fartikel.php%3fid%3d4014

Paul Harrison
Actual German page. http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=4014

On the bench.

Mossie

Looks good to me, as far as can been seen from the limited sprue shots.  It's got the square lower window, which in the Airfix kit is a lozenge shape from the prototype.  The filters over the intakes are something that's missing on the Airfix kit too, essential for later Lynxes.  The Tiger Meet Lynx artwork is an ambitious one, looks good.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Maverick

I thought it different that one a/c sported the FLIR whilst the Tiger Meet machine didn't.  I was under the impression that the FLIR wasn't fitted to Bundesmarine ships.

Anyhoo, on another note IPMS Deutschland have a review of the Hobby Boss UH-1B. 

http://ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Hobby_Boss/HB_UH-1C/HB_UH-1B.html

Whilst jam packed with weapons options and two decal choices, there are some irregularities.  The initial scheme offered is a 'Dust Off' bird from the Box Art, although this has 7-round FFAR pods whilst the art for the same machine in the box shows it with a 40mm grenade launcher turret.  Both are inappropriate for a medevac-tasked bird.  In addition to this, the second camo'd example shows the turret with an aircraft flying in 1964.  Once again, I don't think the 40mm turret was operational that early in the war.  It seems that the Hobby Boss artists merely have a standard 'blank' they work from and then use for the decalling options.

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

Yeah, it's strange that, although there's definately two different mission fits for German Navy Lynxes, I have no idea what the reason is.  The German FLIR is provided in the Airfix kit too.

Maverick

I believe the RN HMA.8 FLIR is of a different pattern (although definitely fitted to RN machines) as fitted to other Super Lynxs, but haven't read of either fit being used on the German example although it's possibly a retrofit to existing airframes.

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

Yeah, two quite different units, the RN uses a GEC-Marconi Sea Owl FLIR unit:
Royal Navy Lynx HMA.8

And the German Navy uses a GEC Marconi Multi Role Turret:
German Navy Lynx Mk.88

There's a good overview of the German Navy Super Lynx's in the link below.  It seems it cannot carry sonar & FLIR at the same time, which is probably why you see only a handful fitted with FLIR turrets.
http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRheft/FRH9910/FR9910d.htm